You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Holocaust memorial day

dockers_strike

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah I often think about that. Sadly there aren't many veterans left now and they're all extremely old, but when I was a kid in the 80s there would have still been bus drivers, teachers, coppers etc who'd seen combat. Mad.

Exactly, and relatively young in their 60s with memories of what they witnessed as young lads in their not to distant past at that time. Yes mad. 

28 minutes ago, Mook said:

After we've finished the film franchise tournament, we should do a 'Most inappropriate thread to get into a pointless slanging match' one & this will lose to The Muppets vs Die Hard in the final.

Take it to the Pointless or The Chase thread, you bellend.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Edward. said:

Harrowing experience visiting. The vastness of it and they were still building more. All the confiscated belongings really got to me as well. Also visited the Killing Fields in Cambodia which was equally as bad, the bones of the people  that were buried still rise to the surface. In some ways because the clothing is more recognisable and modern it's worse.

Yes, it's haunting. The punishment blocks stay with me, those standing cells... 

5 hours ago, easytoslip said:

I must go sometime,people should try to, I've always had it in mind along with battlefields of Northern France, for some contemplation. 

Did the Somme etc on a school trip. Stayed in Ypres and travelled round for a few days. The military graveyards were unbelievable. I will go back as an adult as I don’t think you get it as much as a kid. 

30 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Did the Somme etc on a school trip. Stayed in Ypres and travelled round for a few days. The military graveyards were unbelievable. I will go back as an adult as I don’t think you get it as much as a kid. 

Yes, you'll know a bit more, I've known a few lads that have been there and said I should go. 

Our kid is in a Kawasaki club thing and they go on trips to Europe quite often they take in all that stuff and he found a relatives grave from WW1 and the vicinity where he was killed, they also found out that he was trying to relieve some other battalion where another one of the club members relatives was also killed, meaning that all in that area where from roughly the same area of the UK in this case Liverpool and the surrounding towns in that part of what was Lancashire. 

The father of one of those lads went on to being part of the liberation of one of those death camps. 

Imagine having memories of seeing that shit. 

• Upvote 2

Visited Dachau when I was younger; harrowing experience. The antics of American tourists were hard to understand: there are signs up everywhere asking visitors to respect the memorial and refrain from taking pictures but there were smiling groups in front of the crematorium, posing for photos with their buddies, giving the thumbs up. I imagine they were soldiers but certainly not old enough to have liberated the camp.

2 minutes ago, mars said:

Visited Dachau when I was younger; harrowing experience. The antics of American tourists were hard to understand: there are signs up everywhere asking visitors to respect the memorial and refrain from taking pictures but there were smiling groups in front of the crematorium, posing for photos with their buddies, giving the thumbs up. I imagine they were soldiers but certainly not old enough to have liberated the camp.

Dachau. A few miles from a superb city full of wonderful people. Its impossible to get your head around. 

11 hours ago, PestiRed said:

Go past the Shoes on the Danube memorial fairly regularly and it never fails to have an impact

FDC574C2-8BE1-4B95-857B-D0F28CF8114E.jpeg

Thanks for posting that mate. I'd never heard of that event before so I've just had a quick read up on it! Awful, sickening stuff!

Sad to think that memorial is there and a cunt like Orban is running the country! Humans never frigging learn!

• 11 months later...
On 27/01/2021 at 13:57, Strontium said:

They could think a bit harder about it though, and realise that if Israel didn't exist, it could happen all over again.

The existence of Israel does not prevent genocide. The way to prevent genocide is to prevent the normalisation of bigotry and hatred: all that tiresome "woke" stuff about the use of language is there for a reason.