You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Holocaust memorial day

dockers_strike

We must never forget man's inhumanity to man. I know some on here go with the view that anything Israelii or of Israel is to be condemned but Holocaust Day goes far beyond that.

Today marks the 76th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, one of a number of 'death camps' where men, women and children were gassed to death then burned in ovens on an industrial scale. Amongst those murdered were Jewish, Romany and disabled people who did not fit the Third Reich's view of the world.

Seeing the pictures and reading the accounts of the survivors moves me every bit as much as the Hillsbrough Disaster does. RIP.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's incomprehensible. Beyond evil. What is also very scary is that this only happened 75/80 years ago. One of them things that you can't think too hard about because you'll just crumble but must never ever be forgotten. 

I don't understand why Israel was mentioned in the OP as thoughts on the atrocities that Israel are committing in the present day have nothing to do with the holocaust. I know you weren't saying it as a dig DS so forgive me for mentioning it, it just didn't need to be made. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

I think most people (on here) who are anti-zionists don't have any issue with Holocaust Memorial Day.

They could think a bit harder about it though, and realise that if Israel didn't exist, it could happen all over again.

• Downvote 3

There’s a documentary series on Netflix called ‘Nazi Death Squads’ or something like that. I watched the first episode the other day and it was pretty harrowing. One thing I never knew about was the general public in most of the countries the Germans invaded or were about to invade when launching Operation Barbarossa, actually turning on and horrifically killing their own Jewish population themselves. Seems absolutely mental that. The Germans were meant to be the enemy but such was the level of anti-semitism in the Balkans and Ukraine that they started doing their dirty work for them. I haven’t put the second episode on yet. It’s brutally hard to watch. 

Anyone been to Auschwitz? I've been twice, it's sobering to say the least, eerie. First time I went I remember towards the end, looking at the gates and feeling really proud of my granddad and his generation for helping to smash down this regime. It's the most 'black and white' war in modern times, never have the villains been so clearly defined. 

It's a reminder though that you can't let your guard down, Trump and his lackeys are a reminder of that, as are the current Chinese government. There are psychopaths out there, and if you let them they will unleash a world of cruelty and suffering, and they have to be watched and, if necessary, fought. 

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

They could think a bit harder about it though, and realise that if Israel didn't exist, it could happen all over again.

"they"!?  Thats actually a really shitty statement (absolute zero shock that it's you) to be honest. Anti-Zionism has nothing to do with the holocaust. In-fact the only connection is that Israel is committing genocide itself this very day. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"they"!?  Thats actually a really shitty statement (absolute zero shock that it's you) to be honest. Anti-Zionism has nothing to do with the holocaust. In-fact the only connection is that Israel is committing genocide itself this very day. 

It's a statement of fact. Israel is a nation of refugees. If you are anti-Zionist - in other words, against the existence of Israel - then you're taking a haven away from those refugees.

You demean the victims of real genocides by using that term to describe the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

But yes, absolutely zero shock that you would use Holocaust Memorial Day to attack Jews again. What a time to be alive (at least until the next time the inevitable happens).

• Downvote 2

A horrid stain on "humanity". It's very difficult to stomach today even though it happened so long ago. When I visited Auschwitz I felt physically sick for some time after leaving. Stomach churning. 

You'd think humanity would have learned by now not to inflict suffering, hardship and pain towards others they deem "different" or "lesser" to/than them. 

The Chinese to the Uyghurs, The Turks and Iraqis to the Kurds and of course The Israelis to the Palestinians in Palestine. 

You'd have expected much more from one of the above. 

Sheer evil. To treat people so inhumanely. Mass executions. And the images of emaciated, starved survivors are harrowing. 

It's nothing to do with Israel though. And, it's possible to be anti-zionist, in not championing the modern, bastardised version of zionism, a murderous, land grabbing right-wing nationalism, whilst also acknowledging the need for the state of Israel as per the 1948 borders. 

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's a statement of fact. Israel is a nation of refugees. If you are anti-Zionist - in other words, against the existence of Israel - then you're taking a haven away from those refugees.

You demean the victims of real genocides by using that term to describe the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

But yes, absolutely zero shock that you would use Holocaust Memorial Day to attack Jews again. What a time to be alive (at least until the next time the inevitable happens).

You really are a lying, nasty evil piece of shit. I haven't attacked Jews at all and you fucking well know that. You continue to ignore the Israel thread, actual acts of atrocity because you can't face the to the fact that you are not always right and that Israel are committing atrocious acts against other human beings in their own land. You have shit out completely of admitting you were tragically wrong all over the Covid thread. You are a shit stain on this site you dog shagging, grassing, lying cunt. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

You really are a lying, nasty evil piece of shit. I haven't attacked Jews at all and you fucking well know that.

So I imagined you negging me in the Holocaust Memorial Day thread, of all things, did I?

I ignore the Israel thread because it's a dumpster fire of lies and half-truths intended solely to troll a select few. It's simply not worth my time engaging with such provocation.

RIP to all those dead from genocide, and let us hope that the Jews can one day be safe in their own land.

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You really are a lying, nasty evil piece of shit. I haven't attacked Jews at all and you fucking well know that. You continue to ignore the Israel thread, actual acts of atrocity because you can't face the to the fact that you are not always right and that Israel are committing atrocious acts against other human beings in their own land. You have shit out completely of admitting you were tragically wrong all over the Covid thread. You are a shit stain on this site you dog shagging, grassing, lying cunt. 

I didn't imagine that a Holocaust memorial thread would turn into a forum for Hasbara trolling, but there you have it! 

I guess that unpleasant lying and trolling is more important to some people than paying respectful remembrance regarding historic atrocities committed against your own people. 

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

So I imagined you negging me in the Holocaust Memorial Day thread, of all things, did I?

I ignore the Israel thread because it's a dumpster fire of lies and half-truths intended solely to troll a select few. It's simply not worth my time engaging with such provocation.

RIP to all those dead from genocide, and let us hope that the Jews can one day be safe in their own land.

Me negging you for a bullshit statement is an attack on jews?!!!!! Go on explain that one to me..... 

You ignore the Israel thread just like you have ignored the realities of your bullshit in the Covid thread because you are a coward and your narcissist brain can't compute that when you're wrong. 

Let us hope that all jews can be safe all around the world and that all Palestinians can one day be allowed to be safe in their own land. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

There’s a documentary series on Netflix called ‘Nazi Death Squads’ or something like that. I watched the first episode the other day and it was pretty harrowing. One thing I never knew about was the general public in most of the countries the Germans invaded or were about to invade when launching Operation Barbarossa, actually turning on and horrifically killing their own Jewish population themselves. Seems absolutely mental that. The Germans were meant to be the enemy but such was the level of anti-semitism in the Balkans and Ukraine that they started doing their dirty work for them. I haven’t put the second episode on yet. It’s brutally hard to watch. 

I saw some footage years ago where a woman was being torn away from a toddler and the toddler trying to get back to her only to be unceremoniously snatched up and taken away while soldiers were standing there with dogs.

Some of those soldiers must have been father's themselves so to be a part of that just shows the mentality of that regime.

It broke my heart seeing it to be honest. Inhuman isn't a strong enough word.

In fact I don't believe there could be a word strong enough.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's the most 'black and white' war in modern times, never have the villains been so clearly defined.

Certainly with hindsight, but not necessarily in 1939. Anti-semitism wasn't limited to Germany, and Communism was arguably seen as the bigger 'villain' - which is what helped bring the Nazi's to power. Plenty of folks wanted the UK to side with Hitler against Stalin, and many were dubious about the declaration of war following the invasion of Poland.

55 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

My great-grandparents, along with most of their family, emigrated from a small city in Lithuania called Akmene at the back end of the 19th century, after the Tsar introduced laws that, among other things, banned Jews from having mortgages and limited the number of Jews who could attend school, or work as doctors and lawyers.

It was as well they did manage to get out, as what was left of the community there was wiped out by a Nazi mobile unit, in conjunction with Lithuanian collaborators, less than half a century later.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Me negging you for a bullshit statement is an attack on jews?!!!!! Go on explain that one to me..... 

You ignore the Israel thread just like you have ignored the realities of your bullshit in the Covid thread because you are a coward and your narcissist brain can't compute that when you're wrong. 

Let us hope that all jews can be safe all around the world and that all Palestinians can one day be allowed to be safe in their own land. 

Any chance @Strontium Dog™ ? Care to explain where I have attacked Jews? Or are we gonna just leave it as yet another lie from you? Go on, back up such a vile, untrue inflammatory statement. 

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Anyone been to Auschwitz? I've been twice, it's sobering to say the least, eerie. First time I went I remember towards the end, looking at the gates and feeling really proud of my granddad and his generation for helping to smash down this regime. It's the most 'black and white' war in modern times, never have the villains been so clearly defined. 

It's a reminder though that you can't let your guard down, Trump and his lackeys are a reminder of that, as are the current Chinese government. There are psychopaths out there, and if you let them they will unleash a world of cruelty and suffering, and they have to be watched and, if necessary, fought. 

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." 

And yet almost nobody fought them unless they had a clear geo-strategic reason for it or were attacked by them first.