You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which 1 Final Defeat Would You Most Like To Have Been A Win?

Bjornebye

Which 1 Final Defeat Would You Most Like To Have Been A Win?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1 Final Defeat Would You Most Like To Have Been A Win?

• Milan - European Cup - 2007
    • Real Madrid - European Cup - 2018
    • Sevilla - Europa League - 2016
    • Dortmund - Cup Winners Cup - 1966
    • Burnley - FA Cup - 1914
    • Arsenal - FA Cup - 1950
    • Arsenal - FA Cup - 1971
    • United - FA Cup - 1977
    • Wimbledon - FA Cup - 1988
    • United - FA Cup - 1996
    • Chelsea - FA Cup - 2012
    • Forest - League Cup - 1978
    • Arsenal - League Cup - 1987
    • Chelsea - League Cup - 2005
    • City - League Cup - 2016

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/01/21 at 08:17

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Stringy got into a scrap with a bunch of Burnley lads on the charabanc home. They brought their mates into it, so he brought his in and the whole thing escalated and got out of hand until one of them killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand and... well, you know the rest.

The Battle of the Homme 

Undoubtedly Kiev against Madrid. The team had played brilliantly in that season's Champions League.

I can understand some saying the 96 FA Cup Final but to me, it has to come down to wanting it solely for Liverpool and not to stop, in this case, the mancs or anyone else. Id honestly put the 88 FA Cup Final before 96 because it would have been our 2nd double in as many years.

• Upvote 1

1988 was awful at the time but I made my peace with it a long time ago and don’t begrudge Wimbledon their moment in the sun. It wasn’t the greatest cup shock of all time, as some like to make out, they finished eighth in the league that year, I think. However, to rise through the leagues and end up winning the FA Cup, when it was still a great tournament, was some achievement.

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Man Utd 96 for me. I still feel sick thinking about it. I tend to banish losing finals to the back of my mind and never think of them. Just been watching The Football years 95/96 on Sky and they showed the Cantona winner. Fucking hell. Bastards, players in our side deserved much more than the likes of James, Ruddock and Babb alongside them. Babb wasn't terrible of course but he had an awful spell that coincided with some very important games. 

Said so many times it's gotta be 96, I still have the official magazine for that (Rush retirement special). Was doing chores for the extra pocket money, running down to Happy Shopper to make sure no-one had bought it, all that stuff (I was 10 at the time). After all that build, the utter shitfest, Fergie killing the game and then winning that way. Just the worst.

The other one was 2018 (because it was just a robbery), although, would we have Allison if we'd won?  After that the Sevilla game, again the team deserved it. That Dortmund tie deserves to be remembered right up there with Alaves, but it won't be anymore.

36 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

1988 was awful at the time but I made my peace with it a long time ago and don’t begrudge Wimbledon their moment in the sun. It wasn’t the greatest cup shock of all time, as some like to make out, they finished eighth in the league that year, I think. However, to rise through the leagues and end up winning the FA Cup, when it was still a great tournament, was some achievement.

Very true Tony. Pisses me off when the pundits and oppo fans go on about 88 being a 'massive' shock. Yeah, Wimbledon werent 2nd Division Southampton who beat united by any stretch, loads forget or probably more accurately pretend wimbledon were not a First Division side that finished 8th as you say.

I’ve been to two of those that we lost,  Wimbledon in 88 and Sevilla in 2016. Sevilla especially was hard to take after the exuberance of going over without a ticket then actually getting into the ground at the last minute. But I’ll go for Madrid in 2018 as that was a fucking sickener the manner in which we lost. Plus it’s another European Cup.

I wasn't around in 1977 but winning that would have meant we'd have been the first English club to do the treble, and not those manc twats.

The loss vs Real hurt the most, mainly because I was sure we'd win and we would have if not for those two cunts Ramos and Karius.

I voted Milan in 07 because I went and the journey home was miserable because that was a game we should have won.

I almost went with Sevilla though because losing that tarnished everything that went before it. Beating United, the Dortmund comeback.... counts for nothing because we blew it in the final. 

The Madrid defeat really hurt and I'd have 100% picked that if it wasn't for us winning it a year later. I think that loss was probably the reason we won it a year later so I don't look back on that defeat in the same way I did.

Another one that I often think about was the Chelsea FA Cup one. I'm convinced that Big Andy's header was over the line and if that had been given we'd have won that game as we had all the momentum. Would have been nice for Kenny to do a cup double before FSG sent him packing.

• Upvote 1

I can only comment from 96 onwards really. 96 really stung. I was only young but I remember being so excited about that final and felt so deflated at the final whistle. 07 was gutting too after the high of 05. 

I think its 18 though because it was yet another near miss under Klopp and the Salah injury and Karius fuck ups made me convinced we were cursed. 

There's a difference in the feeling when you have been to the game compared to watching it at home or in the pub.

I've been lucky enough to go to all the finals since 2001 except Kiev and for me, the utter devastation of trudging the couple of miles in the pouring rain from the stadium to the train station after the Sevilla game felt the worst. 

We seemed destined to win the trophy that year after our incredible run and it was the 1st year that Europa Cup winners qualified for the Champions League. At the time it seemed crucial to keep the momentum going under Klopp and to take us to the next level, so much rested on this match for our future so at half time 1-0 up and comfortable we were dreaming. 

Then came the Moreno minutes when it all went wrong and I couldn't speak all the way back to the station, stunned and despairing.

Fortunately, we missed our train and found a bar round the corner stacked with Reds and the whole place was rocking with all our songs. Spent a truly memorable night singing along led by one table of veterans who knew some verses I've never heard before or since but had us all in stitches. 

It's actually great being a Liverpool fan, ups or downs 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Madrid 18 ahead of Wimbledon 88. Never went in 88 as I got engaged that night in the Broadway Club. 

The Broady, I had some good times there.

Got off with a beautiful girl there once and promptly honked up shortly after and in the cab on the way home too.

I also got bought a pint by Roy Evans there, chatted with Nicky Tanner too at a friend's birthday. Got threatened with a knife same night. Halcyon times.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

The Broady, I had some good times there.

Got off with a beautiful girl there once and promptly honked up shortly after and in the cab on the way home too.

I also got bought a pint by Roy Evans there, chatted with Nicky Tanner too at a friend's birthday. Got threatened with a knife same night. Halcyon times.

Yeah,Nicky Tanner did get very easily upset!

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I think that defeat took us to the next level if I'm honest. That run after the group stages was absolutely magical and we were then the best side on the planet. If Salah doesn't go off injured we win that no doubt about it.  

Surely winning it would have had a similar effect. And that greasy cunt Ramos wouldn't have been rewarded for ABH.