You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 0 Burnley 1 (Jan 22 2021)

tlw content

4 hours ago, Daisy said:

No mention of the handball shout? 

Agreed about Origi also, didn't deserve to come off. 

I didn't think it was a pen in a million years, especially as they seem to have stopped giving them now after the mess they made earlier in the season when they were giving them for nothing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

As well as a rethink about Trent on free kicks, I also want us to stop both Trent and Robbo standing over each free kick. No opposition gives a shit who takes it, the non taker would be better in an offensive position and one or the other gets stranded on the wrong side every time when it is effortlessly cleared.

We've been caught on the break a few times as a result of that kind of shit. One full back or other totally out of position for no good reason... 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dave u said:

I didn't think it was a pen in a million years, especially as they seem to have stopped giving them now after the mess they made earlier in the season when they were giving them for nothing.

Look forward to the next time we handball in the box 

Gonna put this out there.
Thiago is great for 10 mins a game but other than that bit shit really. Cant defend doesn't look like scoring and actually gives the ball away quite a lot. Bet when we are fully on song he looks great but when its hard???
I was impressed but its little periods. So not having him just yet jury well and truly out. The rest have all just been shit basically.
 Anyone tell me what he adds. Brought in to boss games create openings and keep the ball moving shifting defenders etc. If he was making all the right balls and those clowns up top were just not firing I would give him a free pass.
Noticed in the Manure game how easy it was for him to be passed around after he had a great start
Hopefully as he gets fitter and gets the pace of the game he will come to the fore. He is no minamimo thankfully. Just hoped he would be that spark we needed to unlock defences and so far its a no.

• Downvote 2

Thiago will come good.  He actually does tackle, he can dribble, and he is the best forward passer we have.  What we need is a midfielder who can disrupt the opposition defence, as we must be the easiest team in the league to defend against at the moment, we are so pedestrian and predictable.  This isn't going to be fixed even if when our CBs are back.  Fabinho coming back into mf will allow Thiago to play a bit further forward, and if Keita was half the player he promised to be running at defences, I'd feel very confident that we would have too much going forward for any team to deal with.  Instead we have a very risk averse plodding midfield who seem content to pass the ball sideways, waiting for one of the FBs to make yet another predictable run.  Robbo's lack of a right foot is so depressing - how often do we watch him stopping the forward play as he is unable to get past the opposition RB and as to play a pass back to Wijnaldum or someone else who's going to play another unimaginative pass sideways?  I'm almost as frustrated with the teammates who know Robbo can barely stand on his right foot yet play the ball to him or behind him rather than ahead of him.  Trent needs a break, and Firmino has been pants for the best part of 18 months, the odd good game notwithstanding.  He needs replacing as our number 9 / false 9.  It's been too long now.  

Having said all that, the league is up for grabs this year, and if we could manage a couple of decent signings at CB and CF - Minamino and Origi surely won't be here at the beginning of next season - then I think we could get the kick in the backside we need.  Klopp is obviously struggling right now, both in terms of restoring confidence in the players, and tactically, where we just do not have an answer to teams who have clearly worked us out. He also needs the lift a few new players with intensity, appetite, and new ideas might introduce.

Ox is usually a bit better when he is played from the left of the front three. He has scored a few goals from that position, running onto his stronger right foot and smashing in.

Playing him on the right flank is always a terrible idea though. I agree with Dave that Klopp should just have played Shaq there. Or at worst, should've switched Mane over to that position.

5 hours ago, Paul Wright said:

Gonna put this out there.
Thiago is great for 10 mins a game but other than that bit shit really. Cant defend doesn't look like scoring and actually gives the ball away quite a lot. Bet when we are fully on song he looks great but when its hard???
I was impressed but its little periods. So not having him just yet jury well and truly out. The rest have all just been shit basically.
 Anyone tell me what he adds. Brought in to boss games create openings and keep the ball moving shifting defenders etc. If he was making all the right balls and those clowns up top were just not firing I would give him a free pass.
Noticed in the Manure game how easy it was for him to be passed around after he had a great start
Hopefully as he gets fitter and gets the pace of the game he will come to the fore. He is no minamimo thankfully. Just hoped he would be that spark we needed to unlock defences and so far its a no.

So you noticed that did you? Did you notice anything else?

90C4384F-6FD7-459B-8CF9-23B19A2E460D.jpeg

ADDB0CDF-678B-4266-AD8E-A471FD9C15BC.jpeg

1A300089-F810-43F8-A184-5E8EA363A4F0.jpeg

1532E344-4F58-4B61-8BC7-879CAD0529A7.jpeg

• dave u unpinned this topic
On 23/01/2021 at 00:04, dave u said:

Haha I thought it was the one that Maupay missed but got mixed up with he one Kelleher conceded. Who was fouled for the first Brighton pen then?

I think it was Connelly. Not 100% though but I know Nico committed the foul. Well the 1st pen they had anyway, the 2nd was obviously Robbo on Welbeck. 

7 hours ago, DaveTucker said:

I think it was Connelly. Not 100% though but I know Nico committed the foul. Well the 1st pen they had anyway, the 2nd was obviously Robbo on Welbeck. 

Yeah it was Neco on Connolly you're right. Dived in recklessly as Connolly did a Shane Long.

On 22/01/2021 at 19:33, manwiththestick said:

No disrespect here but I can't wait to getting back to looking forward to these match reports!

This is one of my favourite match reports, very inciteful and considered. 
I was thinking after this game maybe this team are effected by the lockdown, giving it a superhuman go for 2 years, told it’ll all be worth it when they celebrate on the bus in town.

instead they get no celebration, no holiday or pre season and get told to just do it all again but in empty stadiums. Must do their heads in a bit.