You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Movie Franchise Tournament - Round 1 - Marvel vs Terminator

Bjornebye

Movie Franchise Tournament - Round 1 - Marvel vs Terminator  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Movie Franchise Tournament - Round 1 - Marvel vs Terminator

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/01/21 at 08:57

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There have been 23 MCU films released thus far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

Not a single bad one among them, which is more than I can say for the six Terminator films.

That's your opinion.  For me the 3rd Thor movie was poor.  The second Ant Man was terrible. The 2nd Guardians wasn't up to much. And some movies were just 'fine' like The Hulk.  Again, in my opinion.  

But maybe Iron Man should be stand alone?  Or Captain America?  3 movies in each case.  23 movies is ridiculous to all be bundled in together.  

29 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Fucking Marvel? Ha, fuck off ya soft underpant cape wearing soft fucking gimps.

Typifies everything which is wrong about modern cinema and film making, bilious vomit inducing cynical money grabbing childish fucking shite.

Franchise. There's MuckDonalds and then there's Marvel. Fuck off.

Proper mans stuff is Terminator 

“Cause I’m a bloody bloke”

1 minute ago, JohnnyH said:

That's your opinion.  For me the 3rd Thor movie was poor.  The second Ant Man was terrible. The 2nd Guardians wasn't up to much. And some movies were just 'fine' like The Hulk.  Again, in my opinion.  

But maybe Iron Man should be stand alone?  Or Captain America?  3 movies in each case.  23 movies is ridiculous to all be bundled in together.  

Thor: Ragnarok? Really? 

It may be 23 movies, but it's one overarching saga, and the way all of those separate tales were pulled together was an absolute masterclass in storytelling. In fact I think the final third of Endgame may be my favourite hour of cinema ever.

I can understand people have different tastes, but the sheer snobbery of some in writing these films off as kids' movies just shows they really didn't understand them, because these Marvel movies have absolutely everything, including layer upon layer of subtext. And that they can say these things in contrast to the Terminator films, which really are just shallow popcorn flicks, is utterly risible.

Terminator - 2 great films.

Marvel - more than 2 great films. Plus one film that, as far as I'm aware, is unique: Endgame. Pretty bold to make a film that can't be fully appreciated unless you've seen the other 21 films. Also, Guardians of the Galaxy: can you imagine the pitch for this? There's this tree, who can speak, but it can only say, "I am Groot." And a talking raccoon. How was this a success? And Black Panther, which personally I don't rate but it won three Oscars and was nominated for best picture.

50 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I can understand people have different tastes, but the sheer snobbery of some in writing these films off as kids' movies just shows they really didn't understand them, because these Marvel movies have absolutely everything, including layer upon layer of subtext. And that they can say these things in contrast to the Terminator films, which really are just shallow popcorn flicks, is utterly risible.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Thor: Ragnarok? Really? 

It may be 23 movies, but it's one overarching saga, and the way all of those separate tales were pulled together was an absolute masterclass in storytelling. In fact I think the final third of Endgame may be my favourite hour of cinema ever.

I don't think it's snobbery, at least for me, I don't secretly enjoy them, or dismiss them to attain some cultural prestige. Also, for others, surely the same snobbery would kick in with Terminator films too?

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't think it's snobbery, at least for me, I don't secretly enjoy them, or dismiss them to attain some cultural prestige. Also, for others, surely the same snobbery would kick in with Terminator films too?

As I say, I don't have an issue if people have different tastes, if that was as far as it went. The MCU has its origins in comics though, which Terminator does not, and that is where the snobbery originates I think.

13 minutes ago, Moo said:

Two of the Terminator movies are widely considered amongst the best of all time, are any of the Marvel ones?

Quality over quantity any day.

Terminator 2 is in IMDB's top 250, as are Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Terminator 2 is in IMDB's top 250, as are Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.

Recency bias.  I don't think any Marvel film so far will go down in history, with the likely exception of Black Panther because of what that represents.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

He asked which Marvel films are considered among the best of all-time. Not sure how else you're going to measure that other than by critical consensus.

IMDB has got Snatch ahed of Return of the Jedi, Full Meta Jacket and Raging Bull. 

Why have you deleted the bit where I pointed out T2 is ahead of them both?