You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Utd (A) FA Cup - Sun 24/1 - 17:00

Bjornebye

31 minutes ago, Code said:

How bad is it, when even the Echo are critical?

I think even the biggest 'top red' 'superfan' or stubborn bastard in the world would agree with the sentiment that not doing something to fix the obvious issue is just wrong.

There simply isn't a cogent argument for not doing something about it....all that remains to be seen is how much it actually ends up costing us not doing so.

3 hours ago, Code said:

It really is strange, I cant get my head around it at all. Why are we collecting CB’s with no pace at all? It cant be because they are considered potential first team players, I think we just get players in with potential to become prosessional players, no matter what level they will reach. And we will make a profit on our investment in the end. 

We signed a lad last season that I can't be arsed looking up, he came on as a centre forward at home to Shrewsbury. Nobody at the football club ever thought this lad could play for the first team one day. I can only assume Phillips has a similar role within the club, a body to fill numbers and offer physical presence in the underage sides. Williams has attributes that can be worked on, I'll be shocked if he has career in the PL but its not impossible.

7 hours ago, Herp McDerp said:

Let's see if any of the club mouthpieces pipe up, the spineless cunts haven't released any patronising waffle about FSG being soooooooo much smarter than everyone else for a while now.

There's definitely been needle between the Anfield Wrap lot. 

I'm sure Mel Reddy will be working on a piece about how everything will be great.

With the signing and role of Thiago it looks like Firmino's deep lying central forward role is surplus to requirements. Currently Salah is the only player who looks like he can score and him occupying a more central role until Jota's return would be an option worth trying. Ultimately though,having to keep playing world class midfielders at centre back is the problem that is weakening the team as a whole. We scored two yesterday but conceded three,and that was yesterday's problem. What next?

I said this before but the lack of fans in the ground is hampering us so much, more so than any other team in the league right now. 75,000 mancs screaming abuse at them yesterday would have seen the team pumped up to fuck. Playing a League 2 standard centre half obviously doesn't help either.

While I was bang up for it yesterday, I can't help but feel that losing yesterday is a blessing in disguise. 

We still are within touching distance of the leaders and if not, top 4 is a battle we simply have to win. Throw in that I have this feeling that UEFA will probably do what they did last year from the quarter finals last year in the Champions League so if we beat Leipzig, we could be in a much better position squad wise come May with it being a knockout competition in a neutral venue.

United, City, Spurs and Leicester being bogged down in it is okay with me. All have been blessed with injuries this year bar Leicester until De Bruyne got injured. That luck will change for them, but we know for certain that our squad is paper thin.

Regarding the game, a lot more positives than negatives to take from it and a lot that we already knew, basically that Rhys isn't ready for this level. Philips should play a few games where needed but bottom line is that we need Joel to stay fit which is a huge ask. 

All is not lost.

• Upvote 1

I dont get why we are still playing Trent on the overlap leaving a young kid massively exposed  especially when trent is playing so bad he offers very little going forward lately anyway, plus he is tracking back at a snails pace. How are we just watching this weakness being exposed and yet still keep doing it.  We cant play spurs and keep doing this as Son and Kane will have a field day.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Haven’t read the thread but I thought I noticed on one replay, which was admittedly from far away, at normal speed and only shown once, Craig Pawson wasn’t even looking at that “free kick.” He’s just seen Cavani hit the deck and given it. 

It was really stupid from Fabinho and would have been given anyway. You could tell that extra time was the last thing we wanted. I thought yesterday's game was a 95% Utd playing an 80 to 85% Liverpool,for large parts. It seems that all Solkjaer's tactics consist of is putting Rashford up against the opposition's slow and out of position defenders,which were Williams and TAA yesterday. And how shit is MacGuire? Its criminal that such an ordinary team is top of the league and we are floundering! Fuckin' Yanks.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

With the signing and role of Thiago it looks like Firmino's deep lying central forward role is surplus to requirements. Currently Salah is the only player who looks like he can score and him occupying a more central role until Jota's return would be an option worth trying. Ultimately though,having to keep playing world class midfielders at centre back is the problem that is weakening the team as a whole. We scored two yesterday but conceded three,and that was yesterday's problem. What next?

Thaigo started off futher forward yesterday then as the game went on he withdrew to a Fabinho role "most likely told by Klopp" to offer some support to the defence. 

Williams lazy trying to pull the ball out of the air for they're first was criminal. He's young but not good enough. Done for pace every time. 

Some really good play yesterday and a big improvement, as the commentary said "they're going to have to play they're way into form. 

A win against the spuds would help but not Williams facing the speed of son. 

Robbo yesterday. 

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It was really stupid from Fabinho and would have been given anyway. You could tell that extra time was the last thing we wanted. I thought yesterday's game was a 95% Utd playing an 80 to 85% Liverpool,for large parts. It seems that all Solkjaer's tactics consist of is putting Rashford up against the opposition's slow and out of position defenders,which were Williams and TAA yesterday. And how shit is MacGuire? Its criminal that such an ordinary team is top of the league and we are floundering! Fuckin' Yanks.

I honestly dont think that 'foul' is given to us down the other end. And that to me is the acid test with any foul, does it get given to 'your' team when the oppos get it? Pogba sticks his hand in Gini's face and play's waved on as he's just fending him off. Apparently.

Sadio gets booked for an admitted firm 50 50 tackle with Fred yet Fred's studs end up in Sadio's thigh. There were other instances in that game where our players were fouled, there was no real advantage yet the ref waved play on.

How many times did the ref's poor positioning prevent Gini from playing the ball when and where he wanted? Pawson eventually had to give a drop ball when he got in the way deep in united's half but then the united players were allowed to get back into position.

Van Der Beek tries to con the ref into a pen aided by shouts from the united coaching staff on the side lines 'ref! ref! ref!' The player doesnt get booked and no a word said to the united coaching staff.

It stinks and Im getting fucking fed up with it.

7 hours ago, Baltar said:

Alisson's positioning for the first goal was awful, not sure he was doing there. Could have done better for the other two goals too. Not a good game for the 'keeper.

He's been making uncharacteristic mistakes of late but its simply down to not having faith,or the cover,in those in front of him. All problems stem from central defence.

10 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That last line you mention is the reason we shouldn’t be writing ourselves off for the league. Utd are having a lot of luck during this run but they are bang average.

City are the obvious worry but De Bruyne being out they could struggle a bit. Massive game Friday without doubt. Get a win down there and we are right back in it.