You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Utd (A) FA Cup - Sun 24/1 - 17:00

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I’ve honestly never seen anything like it from a club that has recently won the biggest prizes in the game, and I’m becoming increasingly concerned that Klopp won’t see out his contract if FSG continue to write off the club’s medium term future. His comments of late suggest real frustration; there’s a difference between buying into a certain degree of frugality and accepting no new signings when it’s an absolute emergency and not buying immediately stands to set the club back years. 

Regardless of whether we make top four this season, I wouldn’t be surprised if him staying is conditional on all major targets and contract renewals being signed. Trying to revive a club you rebuilt spectacularly but is now on its way to nowhere due to gross negligence at boardroom level is not worth the potential reputational damage to a manager who could currently walk into almost any club in the world.

Dortmund done it to him to a degree, regularly sold his best players / let them run down contracts and leave free ( Gotze and Lewandoski spring to mind both were massive players and left for free) i dont see us bringing anyone in this month and in the summer Gini will go and we will probably have to sell Shaq, Ox, Origi and a few others to raise cash for any incomings so the squad will remain wafer thin and lacking strength beyond 11 or 12 players. Wouldnt be surprised if Klopp started voicing more about not buying who he wants and possibly taking a sabatical as he puts it. 

Starting to feel like the bad old days this where I find myself disliking the players for not giving a fuck.

We've had decades of it, the unpredictability, the shitting the bed when the heat was on. It would have always been easier to support a group of lads who were limited, got beat now and again, but tried their best, than it was to watch these old Liverpool teams and their countless finals, semi finals and title runnins of getting your hopes up followed by couldn't give a fuckery.

I was pinching myself when we stopped doing that roughly two years ago, where you'd get the same level week in and week out, and if you didn't it was a genuine shock. It actually took me a while to believe it was really happening because you were always not far away from a kick in the balls.

But it feels like it's well and truly back again. You find yourself watching the spooned chips and the last minute panciked flurry of half shots, shake your head, mutter 'twats' then go and do something else. 

• Upvote 1

My overriding anger and frustration is that we play badly and can't get a break in previous games, play well and can't get a break in this one. It just feels like no matter what we do we're going to get fucked over.

I bang on a lot about refs, not because i don't think we have problems but because  every single 50/50 seems to go  against us and has done all season 

• Upvote 1

A frustrating game that highlighted both our recent vulnerability as well as signs that there were green shoots of recovery. Up until Fernandes scored. After that, we looked like the forlorn outfit of the past few weeks.

The good stuff. Cracking opening goal from Mo and a slightly fortuitous second, both from Bobby assists. More purpose and movement about us in attacking positions. Thiago both getting in and playing passes between the lines to disrupt United. Trent looking more like his normal self.

The bad stuff. Rhys Williams getting caught out like he did at Villa. Fab getting too tight to a Man Utd forward who will always look to hit the deck in those positions. The Silence Of The Lambs head-in-a-jar looking cunt scoring the winner. The substitutions (even Sadio) weakening the team. Robbo having no impact in the attacking half of the field. The aforementioned loss of belief after going behind once more.

Another shit year in the FA Cup. It's almost guaranteed now that, whether we put out a youthful side, a side of squad players or go strong, the 3rd or 4th round is about the best we can manage. Only some of that is down to having to face Premier League opposition early on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just watched the Fernandes free kick again and it's very harsh to say Thiago ducked, it is about a foot to the side and a foot over his head. He does a movement of his head but I think it is more a reaction to the speed of the ball flying past him.

Love Alisson but he had a poor game today , he was on walkabout before the first one , too far to the right on the second one , the third was his side and he put Fabinho in the shit with one poor pass out.

• Upvote 1

I don't blame Rhys, but that should have been 2-2 and then extra time. We were pretty shit but at least we went for it a bit. We need to kick on now. A new cb is essential, not long left in the window. Klopp is not saying his usual, he clearly wants one. Matip and another will transform us. 

Still hopeful!

Just now, sir roger said:

Just watched the Fernandes free kick again and it's very harsh to say Thiago ducked, it is about a foot to the side and a foot over his head. He does a movement of his head but I think it is more a reaction to the speed of the ball flying past him.

Love Alisson but he had a poor game today , he was on walkabout before the first one , too far to the right on the second one , the third was his side and he put Fabinho in the shit with one poor pass out.

Looks like he ducked Roger. He's not a tall guy. I think Alli should have done better on the 2nd.

19 minutes ago, an tha said:

Not his fault he has been thrown in way, way out of his depth.

I feel sorry for him.

I know, but it shows a problem in the youth and u23 system to me.  Some positions will need minimum requirements in terms of speed, and CB is one of them. 

Van Den Berg looks similarly fucked in this regard. 

I do feel sorry for Williams, but modern football is a harsh environment, you have very few chances to make it.  We're seemingly keeping a stable of CDs who will never make it with us, and we've known it for a couple of years.  Why isn't there a decent CB among them all?  They're not 17, Phillips is 23 and Williams and VDB are 19, they have no business being at the club as CBs during a CB crisis if we can't fill gaps here and there without them costing us games each time.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

I don't blame Rhys, but that should have been 2-2 and then extra time. We were pretty shit but at least we went for it a bit. We need to kick on now. A new cb is essential, not long left in the window. Klopp is not saying his usual, he clearly wants one. Matip and another will transform us. 

Still hopeful!

Even if a loan player. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I know, but it shows a problem in the youth and u23 system to me.  Some positions will need minimum requirements in terms of speed, and CB is one of them. 

I do feel sorry for Williams, but modern football is a harsh environment, you have very few chances to make it.  We're seemingly keeping a stable of CDs who will never make it with us, and we've known it for a couple of years.  Why isn't there a decent CB among them all?  They're not 17, Phillips is 23 and Williams and VDB are 19, they have no business being at the club as CBs during a CB crisis if we can't fill gaps here and there without them costing us games each time.  

Thats a fair point. We do have a system of play and if you don't have pace, unless you are franco baresi, you probably shouldn't be there. 

3 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Yeah that is a worry, a bad reflection on our academy/u23 set up.

The bare minimum for centre halves in modern game is at least to have pace.....then they at least have recovery in them from poor play/naive positioning when young and then can learn better positioning/reading of game

You can't train pace into them.

To have ones as slow as Williams and Phillips regardless of fact they shouldn't be anywhere near first team is just strange.

Maguire, Lindelof and Wan Bassaka are terrible footballers and were awful in that first half giving the ball away time after time.  At half time I thought klopp would get them in and get us to overload them down our left but we just played everything in front of them. 

We got past them with ease when we wanted too but we didn’t keep the pressure on. 

Are there no hot shot strikers tearing it up in the championship that we could throw a bid in for or an arl arse like Dzeko we could give a 6 Month lottery win to.

It really is strange, I cant get my head around it at all. Why are we collecting CB’s with no pace at all? It cant be because they are considered potential first team players, I think we just get players in with potential to become prosessional players, no matter what level they will reach. And we will make a profit on our investment in the end. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Maguire, Lindelof and Wan Bassaka are terrible footballers and were awful in that first half giving the ball away time after time.  At half time I thought klopp would get them in and get us to overload them down our left but we just played everything in front of them. 

We got past them with ease when we wanted too but we didn’t keep the pressure on. 

Are there no hot shot strikers tearing it up in the championship that we could throw a bid in for or an arl arse like Dzeko we could give a 6 Month lottery win to.

Adam Armstrong

I thought we did largely ok in a game Klopp didnt give a shit about. You knew this because when we went 3-2 down he just chucked Origi and Shaq on and subbed Thiago and Gini to save them for the league. I also think there is an element of what Rafa did here by playing Reece Williams and saying 'This is the best we have in reserve yet look how far behind the other players he is and how he undoes their good work.'

• Upvote 1

They’re essentially just kids who’ve come through the system.  The club will have no idea they would be that slow when they took them on.

I’ve been someone who’s defended the owners because they attracted Klopp here and we’ve won the biggest trophies in the game since then and they’ve done it the right way rather than bankrupting the club.  This centre back issue is an absolute joke though.  There’s no getting away from it.  I’m not one complaining that we didn’t get one in the summer.  It was a calculated risk.  We had 3 centre backs and Fabinho.  We clearly did it to save money which is fine because Fabinho is that good there.  It should have been on the proviso though that do things get as bad as they have then the calculated risk hasn’t paid off and we need to go and pay more than we would have done in the summer.  There should have been a signing ready to go on Jan 1st even if it was a low level premier league/Bundesliga/la liga player.  We should have been lowering our asking price for Wilson and Origi as well to make any more money available.  Instead we’ve sat on our hands.  4th is gone if we don’t sign one and not because of the form we are in simply because Fabinho is absolutely guaranteed to get injured in February or some time after.  We aren’t protecting our position at all.

Have our players heads and arses gone. The drop off in almost every aspect of their game is startling. Even having no centrebacks cant excuse what we are seeing from a lot of players. We are shot to pieces. I think this season is a write off because the team only looks up for it in small bursts. Our away record has been appaling for a long time, this is also on the manager and coaches as they don't look like they have a clue how to address it. Theres no practical back to basics or alternative solutions we are plodding on and falling short. We don't look like we could buy a win. 

I didn't watch it, and I cant be arsed reading this thread, but having to go into an FA Cup match against our biggest rivals with a kid and a midfielder in central defence is an absolute joke. I'd understand if we were poor, but we're the fucking champions, recent world and European champions, and one of the biggest football clubs in the world. 

SHAMBLES.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

Have our players heads and arses gone. The drop off in almost every aspect of their game is startling. Even having no centrebacks cant excuse what we are seeing from a lot of players. We are shot to pieces. I think this season is a write off because the team only looks up for it in small bursts. Our away record has been appaling for a long time, this is also on the manager and coaches as they don't look like they have a clue how to address it. Theres no practical back to basics or alternative solutions we are plodding on and falling short. We don't look like we could buy a win. 

This my concern too, I really could see us finishing bottom half! They look shot!

• Downvote 1