You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you have your own space

Section_31

Fucking hate the word man cave, proper patronising and conjures up images of a bloke with no friends except his wife's brother in law and his eldest son, who puts various contrivences in his loft room, such as a space invaders game which he's never played.

But do any of you chaps have your own space in the house, a room to yourself, loft/basement, shed or summerhouse and if so what do you have in there? Pics welcome of course.

We've got a spare room with a couch and telly and my ps4 and stuff is in there, that's the closest I have. But I reckon I'm gonna have to work from home forever, even when this bollocks is over, so will be getting a decent desk, pc and am gonna spruce it up with some pictures and whatnot if I'm gonna have to spend more time in there.

I've added a desk in the corner of the spare room. Not very exciting. I got 2 x 27 inch monitors though, and a proper comfy chair, so it's actually a really comfy place to work. But I do have a 3d printer in there too so I sometimes come in to tinker with that.

I have weights and some gym equipment in the shed too, but its not very photogenic like some "man cave". Just some old partly rusty gym stuff in a concrete-dust filled shed. I did get it wired up for electric recently so I've got some old 2.1 PC speakers for music and have an old TV I'm going to set up in the corner.

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Fucking hate the word man cave, proper patronising and conjures up images of a bloke with no friends except his wife's brother in law and his eldest son, who puts various contrivences in his loft room, such as a space invaders game which he's never played.

But do any of you chaps have your own space in the house, a room to yourself, loft/basement, shed or summerhouse and if so what do you have in there? Pics welcome of course.

We've got a spare room with a couch and telly and my ps4 and stuff is in there, that's the closest I have. But I reckon I'm gonna have to work from home forever, even when this bollocks is over, so will be getting a decent desk, pc and am gonna spruce it up with some pictures and whatnot if I'm gonna have to spend more time in there.

I’m contemplating having a garden office built. I like the idea of locking myself in there day and night. Obviously as well as an office set up, it will have a television, a fridge and a sofa bed. 

12 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’m contemplating having a garden office built. I like the idea of locking myself in there day and night. Obviously as well as an office set up, it will have a television, a fridge and a sofa bed. 

They're boss the really good summer houses, they're pricey but they're great. Deffo go and have a look around a few.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I've added a desk in the corner of the spare room. Not very exciting. I got 2 x 27 inch monitors though, and a proper comfy chair, so it's actually a really comfy place to work. But I do have a 3d printer in there too so I sometimes come in to tinker with that.

I have weights and some gym equipment in the shed too, but its not very photogenic like some "man cave". Just some old partly rusty gym stuff in a concrete-dust filled shed. I did get it wired up for electric recently so I've got some old 2.1 PC speakers for music and have an old TV I'm going to set up in the corner.

A decent desk and PC is deffo something I'm gonna need if I'm gonna keep up this bullshit. I bought a cheap folding desk when it kicked off and use my laptop but my neck has been fucked due to being hunched over.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

A decent desk and PC is deffo something I'm gonna need if I'm gonna keep up this bullshit. I bought a cheap folding desk when it kicked off and use my laptop but my neck has been fucked due to being hunched over.

Working on a laptop screen and keyboard is bullshit. Fine for small bursts of an hour or so, but an absolute backache as you say. Luckily I had a desk and my work have been giving me £100 every quarter to add to the home office.

No. The best I get is she works upstairs and I work downstairs when working from home. Oh and going for a shit. I'd love a 'Man-Cave' no matter how naff it sounds. Just my own room with a pool table, bar, sky/bt sports and a dart board. Maybe Mario kart linked up as well. A few decent sporting pics on the wall. A jukebox and a huge padlock on the inside of the door. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

No. The best I get is she works upstairs and I work downstairs when working from home. Oh and going for a shit. I'd love a 'Man-Cave' no matter how naff it sounds. Just my own room with a pool table, bar, sky/bt sports and a dart board. Maybe Mario kart linked up as well. A few decent sporting pics on the wall. A jukebox and a huge padlock on the inside of the door. 

Yeah there's nowt wrong with that, I just find the phrase a bit patronising, 'oh he's upstairs playing with his toys - the dickhead'. 

No, men need their own space because women take over the whole house with their smelly shit and crap telly. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah there's nowt wrong with that, I just find the phrase a bit patronising, 'oh he's upstairs playing with his toys - the dickhead'. 

No, men need their own space because women take over the whole house with their smelly shit and crap telly. 

We have a detached garage, which had water and electricity connected. Over the summer I finally got around to plumbing and wiring lights and sockets, also extended WiFi to it. Ready to go as a gym. Needed fridge and Tele to help with working out.

Now full of additional kitchen cabinets that are filled with shit we may need at some future point. The cabinets were cheap, so a real bargain.

We have a spare room with a single bed that I sleep in when I've had a drink or got the cold. The Wifi isn't great in there though, might get a booster so I can work in there & turn it into my room.

Might get a painting of me riding a tiger into the sunset commissioned for the wall actually.

• Upvote 2

Gradually converted the garage over the last 18 months. It has the washing machine in there, and will double as a home office, but it also has sofa, a 65" TV, a dart board, a beer fridge and a Sonus. It should be complete by the weekend. I can't wait to be able to go for a day out to the garage. Just a change of scenery from the house will be lovely!

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Stuff in general.

I really like having one room in the house that she isn't allowed to fill with absolute fucking rubbish.

"Oh, your office is really big actually isn't it?"

Not overly. It just has a desk, sofa, telly, and bookcase, and nothing else. If I started filling it with shoes, candles, bags, etc, it would look like every other room in the house. A carboot sale in a phone box.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Stuff in general.

I really like having one room in the house that she isn't allowed to fill with absolute fucking rubbish.

Not overly. It just has a desk, sofa, telly, and bookcase, and nothing else. If I started filling it with shoes, candles, bags, etc, it would look like every other room in the house. A carboot sale in a phone box.

She already has her own office, it's a box room just with a desk and chair. When I made noises about converting the other room she started saying she could come in there too and we could 'do our work together'. Difficult conversations will have to be had down the road. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

She already has her own office, it's a box room just with a desk and chair. When I made noises about converting the other room she started saying she could come in there too and we could 'do our work together'. Difficult conversations will have to be had down the road. 

When I told her I will be fitting a lock on the door she assumed I was joking. 

I was not.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Stuff in general.

That comments just wound me the fuck up. Guaranteed she's planning an area in there for bags or holiday clothes and you've got a kick off coming. I fucking hate them. Sly bastards. Cats of the human world. Always plotting. 

I’ve got my own room downstairs, I put all my work stuff in the extension bit we’ve got built in the kitchen though. Don’t want my room contaminated by working in there all day. 

I don’t spend anywhere near as much time in here as I thought I would when I was putting it together to be honest. 

4BFB661D-D440-433E-84DB-4886ACB801CC.jpeg

64853A8C-50A8-455F-81F1-59959534E8B0.jpeg

3F5325DE-3ABA-4479-9FA6-FC2580EF2586.jpeg

D8E9BE35-37AD-4BC7-9F21-7AA4DE901736.jpeg

A95C66D3-0E74-4BEE-A551-486637F35615.jpeg

31B859ED-3F1A-44FF-8F09-80DA49CF45DE.jpeg

CE636DFE-38D0-436B-A453-AA269B78D7C9.jpeg

C1CBBF25-9C3D-4AB1-97F5-406A9AC61106.jpeg

618752F7-5AB8-4BF6-9C39-3DC15B3FD962.jpeg

• Upvote 7

Nope.  3 bed semi-d which I bought 2 years ago (an achievement in itself in Dublin these days), so all bedrooms taken by kids and our room, and downstairs is a big kitchen and decent size living room. The downstairs toilet is feckin huge though so maybe I could put a desk in there and a tv on the wall and shit my life away happily?

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’ve got my own room downstairs, I put all my work stuff in the extension bit we’ve got built in the kitchen though. Don’t want my room contaminated by working in there all day. 

I don’t spend anywhere near as much time in here as I thought I would when I was putting it together to be honest. 

4BFB661D-D440-433E-84DB-4886ACB801CC.jpeg

64853A8C-50A8-455F-81F1-59959534E8B0.jpeg

3F5325DE-3ABA-4479-9FA6-FC2580EF2586.jpeg

D8E9BE35-37AD-4BC7-9F21-7AA4DE901736.jpeg

A95C66D3-0E74-4BEE-A551-486637F35615.jpeg

31B859ED-3F1A-44FF-8F09-80DA49CF45DE.jpeg

CE636DFE-38D0-436B-A453-AA269B78D7C9.jpeg

C1CBBF25-9C3D-4AB1-97F5-406A9AC61106.jpeg

618752F7-5AB8-4BF6-9C39-3DC15B3FD962.jpeg

Boss that mate out of rep.

Wrey & Nephew..... phhhhhhhfffff head blowing gear that 

• Upvote 1