You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All good things must come to an end - Do we need a change of the front three?

Antynwa

Said in the summer that Luis Suarez would have been a great signing for us. Still stand by it. 

We need a no 9 who can keep hold of the ball when it’s fired into him with his back to goal and be a threat in the box when the 300th cross comes in. 

8 hours ago, Red74 said:

Said in the summer that Luis Suarez would have been a great signing for us. Still stand by it. 

We need a no 9 who can keep hold of the ball when it’s fired into him with his back to goal and be a threat in the box when the 300th cross comes in. 

He also wouldn't put up with the level of performance from others at the moment.

Yeah, he'd have been a good short term signing. Been excellent this season for Atletico, probably the reason they'll win the league.

9 hours ago, Antynwa said:

We need an evolution of this Liverpool side. System and personnel. 

This isn't new 

It was like this before Van Dijk got injured

Its been a good run

We have evolution.

Thiago and Jota are great additions and are, and were, making a big impact.

We lost VVD and Gomez which means the high line either goes, or has to evolve. We have one of our midfield starters having to play centre back, which means we lose out both in midfield and defender, our ‘brain’ on the pitch Henderson has to move back as well meaning we lose all his stewardship in midfield and his covering of the full backs space when they bomb on, this leaves space unfilled and an easy out ball for teams on the break, a tactic you’d notice if you were looking for it.

They’ve sussed our weakness, the condensed and tight midfield with press and quick turn over isn’t working as it should because of the above, space is being exploited because of the above. The full backs are having to do more running and positions are not the same. 

No idea what’s happened to the front three, but I think it’s part of the general malaise. 

We need a defender to defend so we can get our midfield back, that will stop the rot.

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

He also wouldn't put up with the level of performance from others at the moment.

Yeah, he'd have been a good short term signing. Been excellent this season for Atletico, probably the reason they'll win the league.

Yep 

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Firminho and Origi is about as toothless as options you are likely to get. I could fucking kill Origi for blasting that shot last night there was no fucking need the brain dead idiot.

Yeah did you call him a brain dead idiot after the derby goal, the winner against barcelona and the 2nd in the CL final?

Im as gutted as anyone he smacked the clear chance against the bar. It's symptomatic of our form right now. Any one of Sadio, Mo, Bobby or anyone else could have messed that chance up last night.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah. We don't really buy from Spain though, for some reason. Must have been Alberto Moreno, the last one.

Cheaper to buy from elsewhere. He's one of the best strikers in one of the two best leagues in the world. He wouldn't be cheap. 

Anyway, he's 28 so we won't be buying him. 

35 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah did you call him a brain dead idiot after the derby goal, the winner against barcelona and the 2nd in the CL final?

Im as gutted as anyone he smacked the clear chance against the bar. It's symptomatic of our form right now. Any one of Sadio, Mo, Bobby or anyone else could have messed that chance up last night.

I think Origi is nowhere near that same player you described a couple of seasons back. He did try last night but looks largely disinterested and seems to be going through the motions when he plays. I think he started last night to add a physical presence to our attack against Burnley's big defenders but we gave him nothing in terms of service.

16 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Origi is nowhere near that same player you described a couple of seasons back. He did try last night but looks largely disinterested and seems to be going through the motions when he plays. I think he started last night to add a physical presence to our attack against Burnley's big defenders but we gave him nothing in terms of service.

I wouldnt disagree with that. I just think some are losing more than their shit when, let's be honest, these last 3 years the players have exceeded our expectations.

54 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Why would I? I'm talking about a moment in a match, I dont reflect on entire careers when someone fucks up, the game would be totally emotionless if that was the case. Does it mean I give him abuse for a long time after no, do I go on his social media and give him shit.. no. He missed that golden opportunity nobody else it was a moment in a game weve just played. Football evokes over the top reactions, its just men kicking a ball.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We have evolution.

Thiago and Jota are great additions and are, and were, making a big impact.

We lost VVD and Gomez which means the high line either goes, or has to evolve. We have one of our midfield starters having to play centre back, which means we lose out both in midfield and defender, our ‘brain’ on the pitch Henderson has to move back as well meaning we lose all his stewardship in midfield and his covering of the full backs space when they bomb on, this leaves space unfilled and an easy out ball for teams on the break, a tactic you’d notice if you were looking for it.

They’ve sussed our weakness, the condensed and tight midfield with press and quick turn over isn’t working as it should because of the above, space is being exploited because of the above. The full backs are having to do more running and positions are not the same. 

No idea what’s happened to the front three, but I think it’s part of the general malaise. 

We need a defender to defend so we can get our midfield back, that will stop the rot.

I agree Henderson is the key. What with injury and positional inconsistency, he cannot be our General as effectively as he has been.

Considering he’s been at the club for yonks,, and had to take so much flak from so many fans for FUCKING YEARS, how ironic that we can’t play w/o him. 

Considering that’s how we seem to vet and develop our key players, we should have enlisted his replacement about 3-4 years ago. Did we?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why would I? I'm talking about a moment in a match, I dont reflect on entire careers when someone fucks up, the game would be totally emotionless if that was the case. Does it mean I give him abuse for a long time after no, do I go on his social media and give him shit.. no. He missed that golden opportunity nobody else it was a moment in a game weve just played. Football evokes over the top reactions, its just men kicking a ball.

Now, now. Ive enjoyed some of the women’s football to be fair.

12 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Shows how much attention I've been paying.  Had no idea he was there.

How much did Atletico pay?

10 minutes ago, skaro said:

Shows how much attention I've been paying.  Had no idea he was there.

How much did Atletico pay?

About 5m. They basically just covered some bonus payments. 

I'd imagine he's on a fair whack, although less than what he was on at Barcelona. 

He has quickly, and predictably, become the main man there. Demanding of others, scoring vital goals, conning refs, winding up opponents. Just an utterly ruthless winner. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

About 5m. They basically just covered some bonus payments. 

I'd imagine he's on a fair whack, although less than what he was on at Barcelona. 

He has quickly, and predictably, become the main man there. Demanding of others, scoring vital goals, conning refs, winding up opponents. Just an utterly ruthless winner. 

I think that you have point here, Suarez can beat a man in the box, so could Torres, so could Barnes. With crank teams that Dyche Allardyce and co with their 11 behind the ball you need a player that can open them up. No disrespect to our lads but they need room to move and you are not going to get it with eight defenders in the box, you can’t pass it into the net in those circumstances, maybe Jota;s return can help.

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, he's a beautifully reliable bastard like that.

Would have him over Messi in a heartbeat.