You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All good things must come to an end - Do we need a change of the front three?

Antynwa

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Id have Kane here in a heartbeat. And Son if Im honest. Cunt or no cunt, Kane would be our cunt.

Son shits me up based purely on the little heart thing he does during the Amazon football intro, I mean it like really, genuinely freaks me out. 

On 18/01/2021 at 23:59, Antynwa said:

The poor form of the front three can be roughly down to three things in my view

1. Firmino simply not being effective

2. Putting Fabinho and Hendo in defence and losing the impact in midfield

3. Opposition teams being more effective against us

We've seen this a fair bit since even before the pandemic, and i don't want to be overly critical of anyone but is this just the start of a natural progression by which we need a new system and new players injected into the front three? Very rarely do you see partnerships last 2-3 seasons and perform at such intensity week in week out so maybe this is it? I'm not saying they'll never score again, have a good game, but will they ever hit the heights needed as a collective again?

I know the defence has had a knock on effect on the team but the poor quality and decision making by the front three in recent weeks I think is actually a systemic problem for us now.

Combination of all three, depending on the opposition.

Cruel luck to lose VVD, Gomez, Matip (on and off.) Even Alison has been in and out of the team. Christ, even the resilient Hendo has been knocked about.

I wonder if putting Milner in at CBL next to Fab, would mean Hendo in midfield & better quicker more penetrating ball for the front 3? Just thinking out loud. Even if we shipped a goal a game, we’d at least create more to score more.

Having said that, Jota was combining nicely with Mo before he got injured - he was the in-form player, but Mo responded and was scoring. Mo seems dead now. Bobby should possibly drop into a midfield position? Give Original a few games?

If we fail to beat Burnley, then Klopp simply must start experimenting.

5 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Cruel luck to lose VVD, Gomez, Matip (on and off.) Even Alison has been in and out of the team. Christ, even the resilient Hendo has been knocked about.

I wonder if putting Milner in at LCB next to Fab, would mean Hendo in midfield & better quicker more penetrating ball for the front 3? Just thinking out loud. Even if we shipped a goal a game, we’d at least create more to score more. Or, Hendo at RCB, and FAB into midfield, because he has a great shot as well as incisive passing.

Having said that, Jota was combining nicely with Mo before he got injured - he was the in-form player, but Mo responded and was scoring. Mo seems dead now. Bobby should possibly drop into a midfield position? Give Original a few games?

4 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

I’d also add that under Covid conditions we’ve play a shit load of football with very little rotation barring injury. We play a high intensity game, consistently more so than any other team, with the exception of a city.

I’d argue that a packed schedule with a small squad of high level experienced players and little rotation could have impacted Liverpool more than any other team.

Just now, Red Shift said:

I’d also add that under Covid conditions we’ve played a shit load of football with very little rotation barring injury. We play a high intensity game, consistently more so than any other team, with the exception of City.

I’d argue that a packed schedule with a small squad of high level experienced players and little rotation could have impacted Liverpool more than any other team.

On 20/01/2021 at 10:06, dave u said:

Not so long ago there wasn't a forward in the world I'd have taken over Bobby.

I remember writing that although Kane is a better number nine than Bobby, he wouldn't be a better number nine for us. No-one would be. At that time Bobby was perfect for what we did.

Now, I hate to say it but there's loads I'd take over Bobby, and the irony is that Kane has now developed his game to a point where if I was creating the perfect number nine for this team it would actually be him (minus the hair, the chin and the drool).

Kane would score forty a season in this team and he'd probably create twenty for Salah and Mané. He's now the perfect all around centre forward. He can drop off and play through balls, he's clever on the counter attack, he can score from outside the box and he's a poacher as well. He'd also solve the problem of us never getting penalties and free-kicks.

Honestly, he's wasted at Spurs because he's genuinely world class and could play in any team on the planet.

And I hate saying that because he's such a cunt.

Spurs are vulnerable to an offer, that new stadium is now a millstone.

Might mean selling Elliott though...

I'd prefer a bid for Kane than Mbappe though.  

Big stumbling block is how little we're likely to recoup from a Firmino sale, which goes to show how shit he now is.  

Kane is attainable with promises around his importance.  Finding the wages is key, and that means getting rid of 3 of Chamberlain, Firmino, Origi, Keita and Firmino.  A lot easier said than done. 

It's actually more 'on' when looking more closely.  

Kane is with Nike, lovely. 

He's also mad about the NFL and wants to one day be an NFL kicker.  That dream aside, he's an Americana fanatic, and could be a useful chip for FSG to use long-term.  

Interesting. 

The big problem would be how Spurs could survive his sale.  He is basically their cultural touchstone and star.  Much like Gerrard with us.  

How would they plan to reinvent their soul? 

Young British kids? Obviously Elliott could be part of that, and they might also look at a flagship signing like Reus or Depay. 

16 hours ago, Red Shift said:

I wonder if putting Milner in at CBL next to Fab, would mean Hendo in midfield & better quicker more penetrating ball for the front 3? Just thinking out loud. Even if we shipped a goal a game, we’d at least create more to score more.

Milner at centre half would be an absolute disaster of a move for my money.

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

We've not done one of these big signings from another big club yet.  Thiago was a free, but it's about time we did the old trick of taking someone from a rival. 

That got me thinking to when was the last time we did that? Im really struggling, going back to Phil Chisnall from united in the 60's. Ipswich werent a big club even when we signed Johnny Wark, Im choking on calling everton a big club when we signed Barmby, Atletico werent a big club when we signed Torres.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

That got me thinking to when was the last time we did that? Im really struggling, going back to Phil Chisnall from united in the 60's. Ipswich werent a big club even when we signed Johnny Wark, Im choking on calling everton a big club when we signed Barmby, Atletico werent a big club when we signed Torres.

Closest things post ww2 are:

Chamberlain from Arsenal

Sturridge from Chelsea

Keane from Spurs

Kewell from Leeds

Hamann from Newcastle 

Collymore from Forest

Clough from Forest

Stewart from Spurs

Wark from Ipswich

Kennedy from Newcastle

McDermott from Newcastle

R Kennedy from Arsenal

T Hateley from Chelsea

Strong from Arsenal

Can still argue none of them are akin to Chelsea signing Torres, or City signing Sterling, or the way Madrid and Barca have done us.  

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

Ok, so can we replace all three of them? Asking for a friend.

Mane's a awesome footballer who's just having a rough patch. 

Bobby should have been gone six months ago and Origi not long after. 

None of this would be happening without the pointless injury to Jota. 

• Upvote 1