You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All good things must come to an end - Do we need a change of the front three?

Antynwa

28 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

50 appearances for Shaq in 2.5 seasons. I have never understood why Klopp never plays him. He's more talented that Curtis, Ox, Naby combined. I'm guessing he doesn't like him. I'd pick him every fucking day ahead of all of them.

This shows how criminally he's been underused in the past 2 seasons:

iHbFOgh.png

He was only bought because he was cheap due to his relegation clause. I doubt that Klopp was that keen on him to begin with. 

All the reasons given in the previous posts have some validity.

Tiredness, lack of cover, injuries, VAR, referees etc. etc..

It isn’t one single thing that’s causing the obvious slump in form which has been going on since we confirmed the title really, and let’s not kid ourselves, we know we haven’t been right since then.

Had that been the case, that it was one thing, I’m sure Klopp would’ve come up with a solution.

How we deal with things going forwards is, I believe, two fold.

Firstly we need players in to stop us having to play square pegs in round holes, so at minimum, one CB and a striker.

Secondly, we need the crocked players back.

The problem is we aren’t likely to see the first happening, and the second will only happen in time for next season probably in Virgil’s case.

This season appears to have been written off unless there’s a sudden (and extremely unexpected) loosening of the purse strings for new players, if they are out there.

It is what it is and the frustrating thing for us as supporters is that we can see that there’s nobody better out there, other than City, maybe, who could challenge should we improve even 10% more than we are currently.

59 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

Even for a Manc rat cunt who I hated for years, he talks so much sense.

So many great points about the amout of games (including against Villa) they've played and how piss poor the back up are.

Selling Brewster (yes he's going to struggle in a shit Sheff Utd team before anyone tries to lay that on me), loaning Elliott. Poor footballing decisions. All based on £££. Both should have been kept and could have given breathers to the front 3.

I don't think Jota was brought in for depth, he was brought in to displace someone. The likely candidate being Firmino. Bobby's contribution has always been based on link up and pressing, with occassional goals being a bonus. Those aspects of his game are waning arguably even faster than his goalscoring ability.

That being said, the knock on effect of playing your most important midfielders at CB radiates through this side, right up to the forwards. The fullback positions are more tentative, there's no one breaking from midfield at the right moment when Firmino drops deeper, and those long diagonals have dried up, meaning our wide forwards rarely get to isolate an opposition fullback. We're a patched up side, with players out of position, and the result is appropriately disjointed.

Firmino is a lead weight around the feet of Mane and Salah.  

The team needs a bit of magic and dynamism in that position. A forward with aerial ability would make hay from Robbo and Trent crossing, and would occupy a couple of defenders.  Kane IS the example, but obviously Kane is likely out of reach, and would necessitate selling a few players.  Haaland is the same. 

Lassina Traore at Ajax is a young option, only a year left on his contract. 

Mbappe is a mad shout at this point, he's another in the same mould as Mane and Salah, he isn't the 9 we need to stitch it together. 

The weird thing with Firmino is at his best he was unlauded (17/18), then he was hyped up more & more as he began to wane which reached a peak late last season and has just continued now. Its always been very after-the-fact on Firmino. This makes interesting reading: https://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/forums/topic/114625-who-is-the-most-important-of-our-front-three/&

There have been false starts where he's looked like getting back into form (Palace recently; late Dec / early Jan last season when back from Qatar) but overall he's been relatively poor for going on 2 years. I use the word relatively; he's still a good individual player, but has never been in Mane/Salah's stratosphere. He's been a very important component of the team but not one to carry it on his back. When we're at a low ebb, like now, its more evident because he relies on the system to be at his best. Statistically there's not too much different between now and the last 3 seasons. We've just lost a lot of luster in other areas of the field at the moment.

I don't think we have a real problem, I think it's a bit existential and is just hard for the players to lift themselves.  This is a group of players who never got a chance to celebrate a title win with us. 

There needs to be light at the end of the tunnel, and that comes with the return of crowds hopefully in late March.  

41 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd just like a team that shoots a lot more and doesn't always try to walk the ball into the net. For a club who use stats a lot I am surprised they don't realise that a team that shoots more almost always wins the game.

Opposition knows we are not going to smash balls at the goal and give them something to think about, the same when hitting the ball into the box. Not saying do it without thought but mix it up. Teams just sat in their box give them a bit of chaos occasionally blast the ball right at their bollocks, maybe it will even deflect occasionally make them lose shape. At the minute it's just one pattern of play again and again recycle the ball until the final whistle is blown, they even revert to it when we have a corner in the dying minutes. Its like "it will fall into place if we wait long enough", force the issue fuck this patience patience... 1 point.

21 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Haaland would cause mayhem in our team, I recon the balls Robbo and Trent play in the box he’d break all sorts of records.

You’d also assume with his relatively low buyout he’d be attainable but he’ll have better (more lucrative) options.

id love us to sign a player with more presence in the box as alternative option and a midfielder who can be a real threat from outside the box. It would give us options and a way to break teams down who sit deep.

Not so long ago there wasn't a forward in the world I'd have taken over Bobby.

I remember writing that although Kane is a better number nine than Bobby, he wouldn't be a better number nine for us. No-one would be. At that time Bobby was perfect for what we did.

Now, I hate to say it but there's loads I'd take over Bobby, and the irony is that Kane has now developed his game to a point where if I was creating the perfect number nine for this team it would actually be him (minus the hair, the chin and the drool).

Kane would score forty a season in this team and he'd probably create twenty for Salah and Mané. He's now the perfect all around centre forward. He can drop off and play through balls, he's clever on the counter attack, he can score from outside the box and he's a poacher as well. He'd also solve the problem of us never getting penalties and free-kicks.

Honestly, he's wasted at Spurs because he's genuinely world class and could play in any team on the planet.

And I hate saying that because he's such a cunt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Not so long ago there wasn't a forward in the world I'd have taken over Bobby.

I remember writing that although Kane is a better number nine than Bobby, he wouldn't be a better number nine for us. No-one would be. At that time Bobby was perfect for what we did.

Now, I hate to say it but there's loads I'd take over Bobby, and the irony is that Kane has now developed his game to a point where if I was creating the perfect number nine for this team it would actually be him (minus the hair, the chin and the drool).

Kane would score forty a season in this team and he'd probably create twenty for Salah and Mané. He's now the perfect all around centre forward. He can drop off and play through balls, he's clever on the counter attack, he can score from outside the box and he's a poacher as well. He'd also solve the problem of us never getting penalties and free-kicks.

Honestly, he's wasted at Spurs because he's genuinely world class and could play in any team on the planet.

And I hate saying that because he's such a cunt.

Id have Kane here in a heartbeat. And Son if Im honest. Cunt or no cunt, Kane would be our cunt.

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Id have Kane here in a heartbeat. And Son if Im honest. Cunt or no cunt, Kane would be our cunt.

Kane or Jimenez would cause absolute havoc. Perfect players for us, but obviously not going to happen. 

I’d love to see Danny Ings back. He’s been a revelation at Southampton. I thought he was just a finisher but his all round game has significantly improved. He’s 28 though, which makes signing him unlikely. 

• Upvote 1