You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Music Tournament Winners - The FINAL

Bjornebye

Music Tournament Winners - Crown the Best   

62 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for Your Favourite Winning Artist

2. 2. If I had included Fleetwood Mac above, would you have voted for them instead?

3. 3. If I had included The Beatles in the above, Would you have voted for them instead?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/01/21 at 19:00

I'd like to listen to more South American music if anyone has any recommendations?

I listen to a fair bit of Cuban & Brazilian influenced jazz but wouldn't know where to start with stuff that is native to there. Traditional sounding stuff preferably.

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'd like to listen to more South American music if anyone has any recommendations?

I listen to a fair bit of Cuban & Brazilian influenced jazz but wouldn't know where to start with stuff that is native to there. Traditional sounding stuff preferably.

I have Susana Baca's Eco de Sombras album somewhere, not fully traditional, but may serve the purpose.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Haha I know, I bet half the Kraftwerk voters don't even know that all 4 members are actual Robots and were in-fact built by Skynet 200 years from now and were sent back just to win this tournament and piss me off. Fucking pretenders. 

101010 10 1010 10101010 10 10 101010101010!!! 

15 minutes ago, Mook said:

Iain Martin on Twitter: "Band of Mexicans on their way to Trump Tower… "

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Mook said:

Angel Canales

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I only know Dos Gardenias from a scene in Narcos series 3 but its fucking superb. I always put it on in the shower. 

Just had a quick listen & it sounds brilliant. Listening to Sasas' recommendation now, then I've got yours lined up & some Tito Puente stuff, which I've been meaning to listen to for ages.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

Just had a quick listen & it sounds brilliant. Listening to Sasas' recommendation now, then I've got yours lined up & some Tito Puente stuff, which I've been meaning to listen to for ages.

Its from this scene, one of the best scenes in the whole of Narcos 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I wasn't taking the piss with Jaime Guillermo Guardia Neyra before, he's great.

37 minutes ago, Mook said:

I took a note of his name & he's on my list. Cheers.

When you say Cuban influenced jazz, that would be stuff like Cubanismo or something else? I am asking because you mentioned Tito Puente, you'd know all the musicians which resurfaced with Buena Vista project? Speaking of which Ibrahim Ferrer had a good version of Dos Gardenias. 

And speaking of Cuban, the best thing I ever heard were old Estrellas de Areito recordings, I think World Circuit dug it out and released it in full some 15 or so years ago, a collection of longer tracks that local record company used to release chopped up in smaller segments for 30 minute LPs or something and were since apparently forgotten. If I had time to grab just a handful CDs and take them to the parallel universe when our world ends, I'd try to make sure I grab that one.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

When you say Cuban influenced jazz, that would be stuff like Cubanismo or something else? I am asking because you mentioned Tito Puente, you'd know all the musicians which resurfaced with Buena Vista project? Speaking of which Ibrahim Ferrer had a good version of Dos Gardenias. 

And speaking of Cuban, the best thing I ever heard were old Estrellas de Areito recordings, I think World Circuit dug it out and released it in full some 15 or so years ago, a collection of longer tracks that local record company used to release chopped up in smaller segments for 30 minute LPs or something and were since apparently forgotten. If I had time to grab just a handful CDs and take them to the parallel universe when our world ends, I'd try to make sure I grab that one.

I was meaning the stuff people like Kenny Dorham & Dizzy Gillespie were doing.

I know Tito Puente through Santana & percussionists I've played with. I'll check out these other people today with a bit of luck or tomorrow depending on how my afternoon goes.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I was meaning the stuff people like Kenny Dorham & Dizzy Gillespie were doing.

I know Tito Puente through Santana & percussionists I've played with. I'll check out these other people today with a bit of luck or tomorrow depending on how my afternoon goes.

That above is more like jazz proper. Tito was great (despite what Skaro might think), he was my entry point to Cubans. along with Machito and Celia Cruz. 

Check out Jesus Alemany and Cubanismo, that may be like a halfway point for jazz buffs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Its from this scene, one of the best scenes in the whole of Narcos 

Brilliant stuff, need to go and re-watch that again. One of the best shows ever made. It's testament to the writers that it really didn't fall off after Escobar went. 

7 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Brilliant stuff, need to go and re-watch that again. One of the best shows ever made. It's testament to the writers that it really didn't fall off after Escobar went. 

Have you seen Narcos Mexico? 

It's THE best show ever IMO.