You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burnley (H) Premier League - 21/1/21 - 20:00

Bjornebye

18 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

Short arsed players in the box, below standard crossing and massive grock defenders blocking everything.

Even playing through them is hard. As has been mentioned previously, we need to move it quicker and actually have a shot instead of looking for the extra touch or pass. At least Chamberlain had the thought to have a couple of long range attempts whereas I lost count of how many times Gini shaped a bit of space and then passed sideways. In a Holland shirt he would've had a shot.

The lack of confidence was clear every time someone got near a shooting opportunity. Shaqiri, Mane, Gini all took that extra unnecessary touch to allow the Burnley grocks to close them down.  

17 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

Short arsed players in the box, below standard crossing and massive grock defenders blocking everything.

Even playing through them is hard. As has been mentioned previously, we need to move it quicker and actually have a shot instead of looking for the extra touch or pass. At least Chamberlain had the thought to have a couple of long range attempts whereas I lost count of how many times Gini shaped a bit of space and then passed sideways. In a Holland shirt he would've had a shot.

It was a bit strange that we had lots of shots from outside the box in the first half but none in the second half , was this deliberate ? If so it seems wrong to me as we were far more threatening ( relatively ) in the first half and while agreeing with the consensus about TAA's form , I am not sure how often he is going to connect with a cross when we are outnumbered 8 to 3 in the box and they are all taller as well.

1 hour ago, Butch said:

VAR didn't spend any time to even look at the possible handball let alone spend ages with slow motion replays and from different angles if it was against us. What about pope time wasting the whole game? No card or warning either. Ref couldn't wait to give them the pen. 

Keepers do this all time against us. I remember Ben Foster at Anfield for West Brom when we drew 0-0. Van Der Sar, De Gea and basically anyone who plays for a negative shithouse team does it unless they are losing. They also use a towel to dry their hands and get water from a water bottle even though they haven't been running around the whole game, so won't be thirsty and could have easily swug some when there was a break in play or the other team was defending a corner.

I think the goal kick rule changing enables them to waste more time. If the ball went out on the right side the ref would make you take it on that side. Now, they walk to the side furthest away, put the ball down then waste more time looking up to see who they are kicking it to.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

The lack of confidence was clear every time someone got near a shooting opportunity. Shaqiri, Mane, Gini all took that extra unnecessary touch to allow the Burnley grocks to close them down.  

23 minutes ago, sir roger said:

It was a bit strange that we had lots of shots from outside the box in the first half but none in the second half , was this deliberate ? If so it seems wrong to me as we were far more threatening ( relatively ) in the first half and while agreeing with the consensus about TAA's form , I am not sure how often he is going to connect with a cross when we are outnumbered 8 to 3 in the box and they are all taller as well.

It's almost as though long shots are actively discouraged. It was very strange. Surely it must be down to Klopp or Ljinders hammering home the possession thing and not giving it away by taking pot shots.

Surely a surprise shot is better than pissing about on the edge of the box and letting the opponents get back into shape.

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

My head's completely gone with us now, don't see how we'll ever turn this around etc, when the reality is it's probably just a short-term blip.

When you're in the hole, it's hard to see the light.

I don't think its short term myself. The confidence is shot(shooting is one of the things they should be doing more of too.) Our threadbare squad is finally showing its head and without certain players we are no more than a good team. The only way we will improve is for the mentality monsters to rear their head again and that looks unlikely. Losing Henderson last night was a big blow too.

45 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Maybe the secret is to hammer it low and hard across the box, the grocks can’t adjust their feet as quickly and you’ve more chance of a ricochet going in, which quite frankly, I’d take at the moment.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Maybe the secret is to hammer it low and hard across the box, the grocks can’t adjust their feet as quickly and you’ve more chance of a ricochet going in, which quite frankly, I’d take at the moment.

Maybe somebody could tell Trent to cross the ball into space rather than trying to pick players out or cut it back to feet? Woeful from him the last few games and very slow and casual too.

There were several games throughout the early season where we coasted. After thumping Palace we coasted again and now it's bitten us on the arse and we're in a right slump. Really difficult to see how we get out of it when we've got no CBs to call on so that we can freshen up the midfield.

I think this was completely avoidable but we've held on to a minimal squad for one season too long to give these players the competition that was needed.

• Upvote 3

Have to say I didn’t like Klopp’s demeanour both on the line and during his post match interview.

He looked bewildered to me, and was clearly exasperated about what was going on during the game.

His spat with Dyche was probably what goes on between managers more than we think, but usually he laughs at them, as he did at Mourinho when he claimed the better team lost.

That he took the blame on himself was standard manager speak for when you’re trying to protect your players.

I hope this isn’t getting to him too much and he decides a break is what he needs.

Really struggling to be arsed to be honest. Last season I wanted us to just grab the trophy and get the fuck out, because we deserved to win it due to our incredible form in the first (normal) half of the season, to not do so would have been an absolute travesty. 

Let's face it though,  this season is a joke. No crowds, some crowds then no crowds again, whole teams going down with the virus. People dying left and right, it's just a game isn't it and, at this point, not a very good one. 

Whoever wins it this season, it's going to be a case of 'oh that was 'that' season wasn't it?' If Spurs or Everton or whoever won it nobody would bat an eyelid. That being said, Man U or Everton must not be allowed to win it, at any cost. Couldn't give a fuck otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Has to play Phillips alongside Matip next league game. Fab will be like a breath of fresh air in midfield hopefully unleashing Thiago in process. I’m probably in the minority here and probably clinging on in hope more than anything but I still trust the lads to turn this around. It’s a weird old season anything can happen.

3 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I haven't really looked at other teams schedule recently and therefore don't know how hard or soft any of the others have it from here but am I the only one thinking that given the circumstances 6 pts off the top at the halfway mark isn't the end of the title race for us?

We're dreadfully out of form and it needs sorting but there's plenty of football left to be played and we still have the CL too look play for. Playing United in the FA Cup is trash but it gives us a reason not to bin it off completely as well.

If we can play our way back into form then we could be back in it before too long, because we are about to go on a run of top of the table six pointers. A win at Spurs next week would be a huge lift. 

But I just don't see where the next result comes from, let alone the next goal. It's crazy how things have changed in 3 weeks. 

Was there any chance of Ashley Barnes getting to the ball that he kicked past Alisson? It went passed the goal, out of play. It didn't look like it to me, it looked more like an attempt on goal.

Just a few minutes earlier Mane had a shot and almost instantly the defender slid through him, taking him down. Why was one a penalty and not the other?

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

It's on the BBC isn't it? Lineker will be like a pig in shit at our situation. Maybe Danny Murphy will be on to rub salt in the wound.

At this rate we're even gonna have the likes of Jenas and fucking Micah Richards laughing at us saying what a pile of 

donkey radish we've turned into.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Not you, you don’t support Liverpool.

Oh fuck off pal, people say a whole lot worst on here and nothing like this gets said.

I go off on 1 because we lose a game so "I don't support the club"

So tell me wise cunt, how is 1 supposed to react after a humilating loss against the worst fucking side in the league.

Our unbeaten home run is gone, we basically sit 6th in the fucking table so am I suppose to lie about how I feel right now?