You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burnley (H) Premier League - 21/1/21 - 20:00

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

The players did appeal for the handball. Think there was Trent, Shaq and one other? carragher's going oh his arm's in a natural place and it's hit close to him blah, blah, fucking blah. yeah, funny as fuck a pen is given against Gomez at city for the same situation! Rule on handball be changed? Oh, that's ok then!

Carragher was in full on Bloo mode tonight.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

6th? Don’t think so, mid table for me Clive. We’ve fallen off a cliff. I posted earlier but has there ever been an example of such a dominant side completely and utterly imploding? I can’t think of one I really can’t. This team is shot to fuck, deficient in just about every area save for the keeper. I’ve honestly never seen anything like it. I wouldn’t back them to beat anybody.

Houllier's Liverpool did something similar mid-season in 02/03. They won 12 of the last 13 league games of the previous season and won 9 send drew 3 of the first 12 in 02/03. Then they just fell off a cliff. Drew 5 and lost 6 of the next 11 and finished outside Champions league places and were never the same again. 

Hopefully this is just a blip and things turn around after a win v Man United in the cup at the weekend 

50 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

We've been found out haven't we. Stick 8 players behind the ball and we haven't a fucking clue. 

creepy familiar feeling to the Dortmund and early LFC time Klopp have had so far. Think Thiago was bought to fix that, but as long as he is playing as a six That's not going to change at all. Not sure it will with him in an eight either. Brilliant passer of the ball and dictating the tempo. But impossible for him alone to create through balls when the opponents back line is at the six yard box. Just wish we'd have somebody with a longshot in them.

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

We've been found out haven't we. Stick 8 players behind the ball and we haven't a fucking clue. 

It's really not that easy. It's far more about how shit we are right now than anything opponents are doing. We used to easily beat teams who do this. 

Just a confidence issue...just need to win a game and the lads will be back on it.

It was evident that the players weren't passing and moving it instinctively, and at times the player receiving the ball seemed to not expect it...which indicates a lack of confidence and not wanting the ball. It happened right at the start of the game between Ox and Robbo if I recall.

Klopp alluded to this also in his post match comments that players appeared surprised to receive the ball.

8 minutes ago, Johnlj said:

creepy familiar feeling to the Dortmund and early LFC time Klopp have had so far. Think Thiago was bought to fix that, but as long as he is playing as a six That's not going to change at all. Not sure it will with him in an eight either. Brilliant passer of the ball and dictating the tempo. But impossible for him alone to create through balls when the opponents back line is at the six yard box. Just wish we'd have somebody with a longshot in them.

We aren't moving ball quickly enough, we aren't getting players into space enough, we aren't getting the ball to players on the move, flying by people and running at people with options around them in good positions - it is all static....and as a result it is really easy to just drop into your shape against us and defend/crowd us out.

Just another game where we have over 2/3 of the ball and fewer free kicks from fouls than the opposition (Spurs was the last game we had more, we've had just 5 in four of those). Players out of form and demoralised. Fans frustrated because they're unable to even try and boost the side. Both know full well the needed reinforcements aren't coming and the opposition can kick us about or handle the ball knowing they'll get away with it more times than not.

Never expected us to win this year anyway, especially as City have been able to pick and choose their schedule.  That said, it was a handball. Any time, any rule. It's a fucking handball.

• Upvote 1

Hmm. Stressful stuff:

1. Klopp we know is intensely systems-focused. Players who come to the club typically take months to acclimatise to how we play (Fabinho; Robertson). For 2 years we had immense consistency in our systems-approach (3 of the back 4 playing about 73 from 76 PL games together, case in point). The past few months have been utter chaos; the team selections are being thrown up in the air & landing randomly through injuries/covid. We look mentally drained & the system is fucked. That is kryptonite to Klopp-football. Tonight's team selection was completely baffling.
  2. I love Salah. Incredible footballer - as much as one individual can be key to the system, with his goal output he is it. With the questionable interviews + number of occasions he is being benched, I hope something is not up there. It feels like it may be destabilising. He's played for 6 clubs in 7 years. Would it be shocking if he wants to move on? No.
  3. Whatever your views on VAR, we have definitely fallen foul of it in the questionable-decision stakes.
  4. Some players, individually, have suffered collapses in form, whatever the reason. TAA + Firmino precisely.

All of these points have stacked upon each other and compounded the core problem. We've never really played as a team of individuals, so expecting individuals to step up & pull us out the mire is difficult. Hopefully the worst that could happen psychologically now has (losing the Anfield record), the spectre is off the back & we enjoy playing a few sides now who will at least try and adventure out of their own half.

Lots of chickens coming home to roost at the moment, and just like Watford ending the unbeaten run last season, it was odds on it would be some no mark team to beat us and end the undefeated run at home.

We still have the players that have been brilliant over recent seasons, but we can’t put them on the pitch at the same time for a variety of reasons, mainly injuries, and may not be able to do that at all this season.

There is no doubt whatsoever though that not buying from a position of strength has badly affected our ability to keep up, and I hope that our owners realise, very quickly, that their “asset”won’t be as valuable out of the top four at attracting the talent required to keep their “asset”increasing in value as they would like.

Blaming it on the Coach is the usual fall back when things go tits up, but unless there’s a genius like Klopp somewhere else that I haven’t heard of, that route isn’t likely to bring them any improvement either.

They have 10 days to make a start in getting the balance of this team back where it needs to be, or it might be more than this season that gets written off.

49 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

You're missing the big picture.

Fab and Hendo in midfield allows the rest of the team to do what they do best. They have been the engine of us winning trophies.

They allow Trent and Robbo to bomb forward knowing they can fill in the gaps.

They pressurise the opposition and get the ball back as well as the pressing unit from midfield and front 3.

They provide our front 3 space to do their work.

I said this the other day. Fabinho is the best DM in the world. I was always against going into this season with 3 centre backs because 'oh but Fabinho can fill in if needed'. Heard this time and time again from people on here.

I couldn't give a fuck to be honest. He's a midfielder and under no circumstance did I want him playing at centre back.

We've been doing the whole playing central midfielders all across the back line and it has to fucking stop. Milner, Hendo, Gini, Fab, even Emre fucking Can.

We should have learnt from what happened to City last season what happens when you don't have adequate centre back cover and you start playing central midfielders there.

Yeah, but you wanted Klopp gone 3 years ago which pretty much renders everything you say as shite. 

• Upvote 1

We really do  miss Hendo when he isn’t playing.......

4TEOnVrs_reasonably_small.jpg

Sat 25m from the pitch tonight. It was very very quiet. Jordan Henderson is such a talker, he demands so much from team mates. Encourages but not afraid to snap at them aswell. Without him there’s no talker in the team. Milner (from the subs bench) probably the most vocal
  • Upvote 1