You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jan 10-15 2021)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg.c1fbcaffb0090e7b2d3f5068e60210dc.jpg

Sunday Jan 10:

No fairytale upset for Marine, who got stuffed by a Spurs side that rarely got out of third gear. There’s no shame in it, Marine were severely outgunned and the Spurs team was packed with internationals, even if they did leave out Kane and Son. 

Didn’t help that Marine’s centre forward seemed more concerned with picking arguments than trying to play football. Turns out he’s an Arsenal fan, which explains a lot. Dave Raven was playing too. He’s beaten Spurs before in a cup competition of course. What a night that was. It doesn’t feel like that long ago but it was. 15 years or something. I seem to recall that I had to listen to that on the radio as it wasn’t on telly, which makes it seem like a bygone age. Most of the kids who played that night are long retired, but Ravo is still going. Just. 

It’s great that Marine made a few quid out of this as the clubs lower down the pyramid must really be suffering without fans. There’s no TV or sponsorship deals to keep them going and there’s seemingly no end in sight with this fucking Covid thing. I’m amazed loads of clubs haven’t gone under already. At least Marine will be safe for a while.

They got 300k for this apparently which is great for them. The other clubs in their division haven’t been so lucky though and I don’t see how most teams are going to be able to survive this. Same with loads of small businesses. It’s a fucking nightmare.

Shout out to the Red who was there watching with his arm around a cardboard cut out of Klopp. BT were showing it constantly and it caused Everton twitter to lose their minds. Good job that man, nicely done.

Meanwhile, Michael Oliver has done an interview and admits he should have sent Pickford off. He says he was going to give a penalty providing there was no offside, but they got pre-occupied with whether it was offside and therefore forgot to check for a red card. 

Sorry, not buying it. You’re the best ref in the country, you don’t just ‘forget’ about a challenge like that, especially when you see Van Dijk having to go off.

I could understand one official doing that, but for both Oliver and Coote to do it is criminal. Not to mention the lino who had a better view than anyone, and the 4th official who could have mentioned it in the headset. Inexcusable and I’ll never, ever, get over what happened that day. The anger will be with me until my last breath. My last words might even reference it.

The worst thing Oliver said though was that “none of the players even appealed for a red card”. What the fuck does that have to do with anything? Not that I believe him anyway. Someone will definitely have said something to him about how bad the tackle was. But just because they weren’t surrounding him waving cards he’s using that as an excuse. Shithouse.

What it does show you though is that being sporting and worrying about fair play gets you fucking nowhere. He’s more or less said that if our players had harassed him into a sending off he’d have done it. Cheats and twats prosper in this game, and it makes what we’ve done these last few years all the more remarkable because we haven’t compromised Klopp’s sense of fair play to do it.

It’s getting us fucking nowhere now though and I’d be telling the lads to ramp up the cunt factor massively and start letting refs know that we’re no longer going to accept being shat on by them. Starting on Sunday. 

On a lighter note, Sheffield United won their first game of the season today, in the cup, and they used five subs! The funniest part was the club tweeting out that it was Wilder’s 100th win, and someone replied saying “how long have you had that one saved in drafts?”. It’s a good question, as their last win must have been in, what? May or June? Fucking hell that’s bad.

Monday Jan 11:

Hahahaha United away in the cup. Of course it is. And City got fucking Cheltenham. Only shock is they didn’t get Chorley. Its funny really when you think about it. Klopp always has the ‘no respect for the FA Cup’ thing thrown at him but we always get Premier League opponents which means that any rotation is more likely to get punished. 

City are seen as the bastions of FA Cup integrity but it’s fucking easy to look like you’re taking it seriously when the list of opponents you’ve been drawn against (so not counting finals) in this competition since 2017 is Burnley, Cardiff, Wigan, Rotherham, Burnley, Newport, Swansea, Brighton, Port Vale, Fulham, Sheffield Wed, Newcastle, Birmingham and Cheltenham.

It’s not fixed but it’s utterly ridiculous. I mean what must the odds be on them never getting anyone good even though they go all the way to the final every year? And then there’s us, the flip side of that coin. I’ve long since stopped caring about the FA Cup but I really, really didn’t want United at Old Trafford. 

United at Anfield, fine, whatever. Bring it on. But we’re fucking shit at Old Trafford. Even when we have a much, much better team than them, we go there and shit the bed. Without fail. So yeah, I didn’t want this and frankly I’m not looking forward to it one bit. I really wanted Everton because we owe them cunts massively and I reckon our lads would be salivating at the idea of getting revenge on them for Virg and Thiago.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Fucking shocking how we've been treated by refs and VAR this season. If teirney gives that lot a pen on Sunday my boot is going through the tv!

I dont get why other managers arent banging on about the soft pen united get. There again, they're the same mob who poo poo the 5 subs. And Wilder is a hypocritical cunt for using 5 subs after all that gobshite has said.

• Upvote 1

Glad to see you gunning for Mike Riley. He was a terrible referee and I was amazed that he got the top job. Ever since, the standard of refereeing has declined badly, to the extent there was no English referee at the last World Cup, for the first time in my memory. Riley also fucked us over at Old Trafford when he gave two pens against us there, even Roy Keane looked embarassed at how soft they were. I also recall Moyes, when he was at Everton, protesting about Riley being given an FA cup semi-final they had against United, on the grounds he was notorious for favouring them. Proof that even Moyes can be right about something.

• Upvote 1

Hey Dave,

Awesome wrapup I would just add another thing to your list to be angry about this season:

Klopp playing Jota in a nothing Champions League match leading to him getting injured for two months. I can understand us not replacing Lovren, I can even understand us not buying a replacement CB this window as Klopp doesn't just buy cover for the sake of it as we saw with him waiting 6 months for VVD but playing Jota in a match where we already were through and didn't need him is one of the craziest and potentially season altering decisions.

Our defense is doing extremely well all things considered it's our misfiring front 3 that's the problem and the lack of Jota has a lot to do with that.

Also fuck the referees in the UK, that entire Oliver interview smelled of him trying to save his reputation as "the best referee in the premier league" without throwing his mate David Coote under the bus. The funny thing is he didn't have to do that because if there's one thing the football media loves to do it's not hold referees accountable. He could have just ignored it and leave Liverpool fans to stew in our anger while other fans laughed at "the victims".

Clattenburg also should have just shut the fuck up because all he did was confirm what everyone knew was happening with United under Fergie. And now he's retweeting people defending him by saying well actually he meant something else. I never liked that incompetent fuck but the fact that he confirmed he was basically the idiot I thought he was makes me feel good.

Its not healthy how much I hate referees but when I easily access moments these fucks screwed us during seasons we missed out on the title by small margins in 2008/09, 2013/14 and 2018/19 it makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jurgen in "continues to defend Keita" shocker. Like the problem is him being rushed back after an injury. The problem for Keita is that kicking a football gets in the way of stealing a huge wage for doing fuck all. 

On 16/01/2021 at 20:56, tlw content said:

There’s no Naby though, in case anyone’s arsed. You’re not? No, me either. I wouldn’t want him anywhere near any game ever. 

Fixed that for you. 

• Upvote 1

You've captured the essence on how shit we are at old trafford. Its a bogey ground, nothing more, nothing less. Fucking hate going there,playing there, getting out of there and getting back from there. There isn't one single second that I enjoy about that day. I fucking hate manchester united. Cue Jim Broadbent......

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic