You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rest of The World - Bands - FINAL - Kraftwerk vs AC/DC

Bjornebye

Rest of The World - Bands - FINAL - Kraftwerk vs AC/DC  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Rest of The World - Bands - FINAL - Kraftwerk vs AC/DC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/01/21 at 19:00

34 minutes ago, Pidge said:

People listen to Kraftwerk? Deliberately? Not in lifts, or as a joke?

No, the answer is no. People dont really listen to them or buy their stuff.

Kraftwerk have had one single in the top 10 in the UK, in the US, not even close. 

The GF is full of pretentious fuckwits though, who could not differentiate music from the sound their cat would make if they stepped on its tale. 

08D5F183-F242-43A4-9D53-7713020DDDC5.png

5195AF08-3C4B-4FCD-BD9B-637AB408A6A0.png

EFE83712-0A22-49EE-AC06-CDB4CF88D60F.png

• Upvote 2

I guess both these bands have a certain influence and are leading creators of their chosen style of music. They’re also, in their own way, popular with audiences and critics alike.  Neither are genuinely one of the best two bands in the rest of the world though. My vote goes to AC/DC but not with any great umph. 

2 hours ago, Code said:

Kraftwerk have had one single in the top 10 in the UK, in the US, not even close. 

08D5F183-F242-43A4-9D53-7713020DDDC5.png

5195AF08-3C4B-4FCD-BD9B-637AB408A6A0.png

Kraftwerk are not a singles band. This really isn't news. 

And when you start equating musical quality with US/UK chart performance, you forfeit any right to comment on other people's taste.

As for AC/DC, I keep asking what they've got that sets them above a dozen or so other one-track rock bands and I'm getting no response, even from the people who are claiming that they should win this. They are ordinary; that's something you could never say about Kraftwerk. 

Don't know what people are moaning about, the only (pleasant) surprise is that Kraftwerk are in the final, I expected it to be U2, who, along with AC/DC are overall among the biggest bands in the world and dominate rest of the world category. So you have probably the most innovative and influential band (by people's own admissions) from rest of the world and one of the biggest rock bands, a stadium filler.  ABBA was thereabouts but had no chance (take a chance, take a chance) of winning because we are mostly a heterosexual male forum. We are also pretty mainstream in musical tastes, so there you go.

Knowing all that, what "rest of the world" bands should have been in the final? I mean, I know at least a dozen, but realistically?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Kraftwerk are not a singles band. This really isn't news. 

And when you start equating musical quality with US/UK chart performance, you forfeit any right to comment on other people's taste.

As for AC/DC, I keep asking what they've got that sets them above a dozen or so other one-track rock bands and I'm getting no response, even from the people who are claiming that they should win this. They are ordinary; that's something you could never say about Kraftwerk. 

Kraftwerk were pioneers in electronic music and you're right, they were never a singles band but their influence is there for all to see.

I've got a lot of time for Kraftwerk, having said that, I love the stripped down, balls out Rock & Roll of AC/DC.

They hit on a winning formula and stuck to it.

I love them.

I listen to Kraftwerk. But we all listen to Kraftwerk, even if we're not listening to Kraftwerk. Every time you hear a synth break, or a drum machine, or a digitised voice, that's Kraftwerk. Their DNA runs through electronic music like words through a stick of rock. True pioneers, and unquestionably the greatest musical artist to come from the non-English speaking world. 

• Upvote 5

Not my choice for a final but the people/votes have spoken.

I'm just glad a band that has members who call themselves 'Bono' and 'The Edge' with a drummer who's played the same fuckin' drum beat (with 16th notes on the hi hat) since the 1980's haven't made it. Adam Clayton seems alright though (typical bassist though)

Warms my ice cold heart, it really does.

Again, thanks to Stig for putting this latest tournament on for everyone. Well in.

• Upvote 2