You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most Exhilarating Sports Moments

Elite

8 hours ago, littletedwest said:

To put this in context. Foreman was 45, had lost his last fight against Tommy Morrison. Moorer had taken it as a big money low risk fight. George had pulled his punches early knowing if he threw big punches early Moore was too quick. Eventually Moorer believed that he could be the first man to stop Foreman since Ali and his ego lead to him standing in front of George believing he'd taken George's best

• Upvote 2

Remember getting up on the Sunday expecting England to quickly mop up the last two wickets to level the series....Then sitting there a couple of hours later just thinking “they’ve fucking blown this” .and with it the Ashes

And they probably would have done if DRS was knocking about then

The greatest long jump competition ever at the 1991 World championships 

First Carl Lewis breaks Bob Beamon’s long standing world record then minutes later Mike Powell wipes the smug smile off Lewis face by going past that jump and sets a world record of 8.95m that still stands to this day 

12 hours ago, Chris said:

"Top he wants... and he gets it! Barneveld is the champion of the world..."

I don't think any game of darts will ever come close, for me, to the drama of that final.

3-0 down to the greatest player ever and pings a 170 to start the fightback. Sid Wadell and John Gwynne's on comms was just pure darting gold too. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Preston Red said:

I don't think any game of darts will ever come close, for me, to the drama of that final.

3-0 down to the greatest player ever and pings a 170 to start the fightback. Sid Wadell and John Gwynne's on comms was just pure darting gold too. 

Fuckin' A! 

You're right about the commentary too. Many of these moments have commentary tracks that are indelibly etched in the memory.

@Remmie's Linford Christie post, for example. I remember being at my Grandma's 60th birthday party that night and sprinting around the garden totally exhilarated after the race. David Coleman's "and Christie comes storming through... IT'S LINFORD CHRISTIE!" was ace.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chris said:

Fuckin' A! 

You're right about the commentary too. Many of these moments have commentary tracks that are indelibly etched in the memory.

Waddell was peerless.

' 'When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer...Bristow's only 27.''

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Chris said:

Fuckin' A! 

@Remmie's Linford Christie post, for example. I remember being at my Grandma's 60th birthday party that night and sprinting around the garden totally exhilarated after the race. David Coleman's "and Christie comes storming through... IT'S LINFORD CHRISTIE!" was ace.

28 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Waddell was peerless.

' 'When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer...Bristow's only 27.''

Waddell was undoubtedly a master of commentary. I couldn't stick him at first but then you realise just how good he actually was and he brings the game to life. His passion and energy for darts will never be replicated or bettered.

The only one I like on darts comms now is Wayne Mardle as he's played the game, coaches the game and loves the game. Just needs to tone it down a notch with the shouting though.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Jo Pavey winning 10k gold at the 2014 European Championships, aged 40, less than a year after giving birth. 

Just a truly incredible achievement. 

It certainly is.

My Mum cooked Christmas dinner for 20 people the day before giving birth to me.

3 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Brilliant, we bunked in that day as it was only up the ralla from ours.

Didn't really know as we stood by Bechers what horses where jumping it, knew Red Rums colours, but others I know now such as the great Lescargot and names like Spanish Steps, good memories. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...