You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rest of The World - Bands - Semi Finals - AC/DC vs The Dubliners

Bjornebye

Rest of The World - Bands - Semi Finals - AC/DC vs The Dubliners  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Rest of The World - Bands - Semi Finals - AC/DC vs The Dubliners

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/01/21 at 13:17

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Nope.

I'm still not seeing the big deal with AC/DC.

I'm sure they're great fun as a noisy drunken shoutalong; but contenders for the best band in the rest of the world?

They are the best rock band of all time 

7 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Depends on how broad your definition of "rock" is. 

Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are a million times better, for a start.

AC/DC are the best pub rock band of all time 

I wouldn't compare AC/DC with Pink Floyd, two bands miles apart but Led Zeppelin aren't miles ahead of AC/Dc by any stretch 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I wouldn't compare AC/DC with Pink Floyd, two bands miles apart but Led Zeppelin aren't miles ahead of AC/Dc by any stretch 

They're all rock bands though, by the broadest definition, which was my point.

Led Zeppelin's scope of songs is immense. Prog, hard rock, blues, folk, ballads, even pop at the end. AC/DC just do bog standard blues rock.  I don't mind AC/DC, but it's not even close in terms of ability and songwriting.  It's like comparing Oasis and Blur...oh hang on.

17 minutes ago, Mook said:

I love the early AC/DC stuff but to say they are a better rock band than The Stones, Led Zeppelin or The Who is absolutely fucking nuts.

The likes of Deep Purple & Sabbath also had a lot more about them than AC/DC.

Hahahahahaha you've started early 

There are some bands (like Pink Floyd, ABBA or Radiohead, for example) that do nothing for me, but I can see the argument that they are objectively good - in terms of musicianship, songwriting, versatility, originality, ambition, influence, etc.

Conversely, there are some bands that I really like, but they don't have those qualities, so I wouldn't claim that they should be considered "great"?

So, what is it about AC/DC that justifies their place in the latest stages of this tournament?