You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rest of The World - Bands - Semi Finals - Kraftwerk vs U2

Bjornebye

Rest of The World - Bands - Semi Finals - Kraftwerk vs U2  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Rest of The World - Bands - Semi Finals - Kraftwerk vs U2

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/01/21 at 13:14

Tough one this.

Kraftwerk changed the musical landscape forever and have influenced music in so many ways and influenced so many groups, genres and technology, you could argue they are up there with the Beatles, The Stones and The Doors, for levels of influence.  

U2 on the other hand, gave us the Edges hat collection, Bono(so good they named a dog treat after him) and U2 were, and this is the game changer, the band that sowed the seed for the evolution of Father Ted. This last bit making it so close, its as tough as it could be to split the two of them. 

Tough call.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, No2 said:

U2 are being punished for being shit for 25 years. Their work prior to that wipes the floor with every other band in this competition. 

Totally agree with this. Always thought this was why The Beatles legacy grows year in year out (if we don't count the Threetles resurrectng a couple of unfinished Lennon songs in the mid 90's) then them not carrying on and potentially releasing contractually obligated, substandard albums has done them a massive favour.  Easy to argue the same with Kraftwerk in the main, too.

Having said that, i love them both and i think i'm going down the U2 route for the exact same reason that Angry gave. They soundtracked my life more between 84-93.  

8 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

Tough one this.

Kraftwerk changed the musical landscape forever and have influenced music in so many ways and influenced so many groups, genres and technology, you could argue they are up there with the Beatles, The Stones and The Doors, for levels of influence.  

U2 on the other hand, gave us the Edges hat collection, Bono(so good they named a dog treat after him) and U2 were, and this is the game changer, the band that sowed the seed for the evolution of Father Ted. This last bit making it so close, its as tough as it could be to split the two of them. 

Tough call.  

There have now been at least 40 artists/bands that have apparently changed the musical landscape forever. What I want to know is why does the musical landscape keep changing so much?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

There have now been at least 40 artists/bands that have apparently changed the musical landscape forever. What I want to know is why does the musical landscape keep changing so much?

I think he means they invented keyboards or some shit. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I don't think any band has changed the musical landscape whatsoever in the last 25 years

1 minute ago, Total Longo said:

In what way? They hardly brought anything remotely fresh to the music scene apart from rehashing things that had been done repeatedly for the last 30 years before. 

They inspired plenty of artists to pick up the guitar in the same way otehr bands inspired Ossis to do the same. You see, thats how it works. Most British bands of the last 20 years will cast Oasis as one of their inspirations to get into music. Oasis were massive and a huge influence on a generation. No matter what your Kraftwerk shagging hipster "oh its cool to slag oasis off" outlook is, they were massive. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

They inspired plenty of artists to pick up the guitar in the same way otehr bands inspired Ossis to do the same. You see, thats how it works. Most British bands of the last 20 years will cast Oasis as one of their inspirations to get into music. Oasis were massive and a huge influence on a generation. No matter what your Kraftwerk shagging hipster "oh its cool to slag oasis off" outlook is, they were massive. 

Oasis were popular but they didn’t sound different from anything else. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nobody is denying they were massive, what i'm querying is how they changed the musical landscape. It's a sad indictment of how poor the music scene has been in the last twenty years if they are the benchmark.

I'm not even slagging Oasis off, i'm just not as enamoured with them as you are. I doubt Liam Gallagher is though, in all honesty.   

22 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

"They are in the psyche of modern pop, whether there is an awareness of it or not," Underworld's Karl Hyde told the Telegraph.

Martin Gore of Depeche Mode added: "For anyone of our generation involved in electronic music, Kraftwerk were the godfathers."

"What I WAS passionate about in relation to Kraftwerk was their singular determination to stand apart from stereotypical American chord sequences and their wholehearted embrace of a European sensibility displayed through their music. This was their very important influence on me." Bowie

"Seeing Kraftwerk play at the Liverpool Empire on Sept 11th 1975 changed my life for ever. Fifteen years later I told them all that our song ‘Electricity’ was a punk homage to their title track Radio-Activity." Andy McCluskey, OMD

"Kraftwerk created Hip hop" Darryl McDaniels, Run-DMC. He goes on to say: "Trans Europe Express was one of those songs that played in every park and block party."

“Without Kraftwerk’s influence within the early pioneering creators of techno and house music, electronic music may not have evolved into the positive, life-changing global phenomenon that we continue to celebrate and love in the present day,” opines celebrated superstar DJ Danny Rampling of the club Shoom.

“No one can possibly overestimate the influence they have had on contemporary music,” attests Paul Oakenfold, who clearly hasn't met Code.

• Upvote 2