Quantcast
Static Caravans - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Section_31

Static Caravans

Recommended Posts

Anyone ever owned one or know anybody who does? 

 

Some of my happiest memories were caravan holidays and I'd love one at some point, it's the top of my 'mundane dreams' list. All this bollocks has just made me think how boss it'd be, once things are hopefully back to normal, to just fuck off one Friday evening after work and spend the weekend down by the beach. 

 

Always wondered the best way to go about it, either buy a second hand one and find a reasonably priced site for it, or do it through one of the major companies. I don't fancy that though as apparently they kick you off once the van gets too old and you're basically back to square one. 

 

The Mrs likes the fancy ones that look like the inside of an Albert Dock flat. Me, I think part of the charm of a caravan is that it should be at least a tiny bit shit. A small telly/VCR combo in the corner, not many plates, and a table that's broken to the point where you have to rest it on your knee while you eat your fish and chips. VHS selection should include Gremlins II and Roadhouse. 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My family used to have one in Harlech when I was a kid.

Can still remember the smell to this day

Looking back it was ancient... it had a coal open fire, in a caravan, fucking hell

It was brilliant, though. No tv, just the radio. Happy Days!!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mattyq said:

My family used to have one in Harlech when I was a kid.

Can still remember the smell to this day

Looking back it was ancient... it had a coal open fire, in a caravan, fucking hell

It was brilliant, though. No tv, just the radio. Happy Days!!

 

I think one would be boss to have if you live in a city and have kids. 

 

I still remember the smell of my nan cooking bacon in the morning and hear her walking up and down the kitchen (you can hear fucking everything in a caravan), birds and rain on the roof is class too.

 

Just the idea though of being able to 'bolt' is priceless, especially these days. 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just no. Had a few great family holidays in them when we were little kids. But we were little, so the caravan didn't feel small. I'd imagine as an adult, it'd feel claustrophbic in there. Especially after being in there for three days straight due to the worst of our glorious 'weather'.

 

And, you'd be going to the same place, again and again.

 

Again. No.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go for it , we lived in Warrington for a while before moving to the iom and having a caravan made weekends so much more fun . It's important to have that ability to get away as much as you need to.  Go for it , they're not that expensive - probably a Facebook page or two on the topic edit to say just don't go anywhere near Rhyl .

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

 

I think one would be boss to have if you live in a city and have kids. 

 

I still remember the smell of my nan cooking bacon in the morning and hear her walking up and down the kitchen (you can hear fucking everything in a caravan), birds and rain on the roof is class too.

 

Just the idea though of being able to 'bolt' is priceless, especially these days. 

 

Yup, we loved it. We spent 3 weeks of the summer holidays there as well as lots of weekends, half terms etc

You didn't miss the tv as you were out virtually the whole day in summer playing footie or roaming around the beach or woods

At the time it took about 2.5 hours to get there from Liverpool which was the biggest ball ache. Probably quicker now

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, elvis said:

Go for it , we lived in Warrington for a while before moving to the iom and having a caravan made weekends so much more fun . It's important to have that ability to get away as much as you need to.  Go for it , they're not that expensive - probably a Facebook page or two on the topic edit to say just don't go anywhere near Rhyl .

 

 

 

The Isle of Man and a caravan. Living my dream.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything’s shitter when you think about it. They’re hugely expensive, then you’ve got the site fees (c £8000 pa) at one not far from us and then they’ll boot your van off after a few years to make way for newer models. And with all that money committed, how do you then feel about going somewhere different?

Not a fan

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Champ said:

Everything’s shitter when you think about it. They’re hugely expensive, then you’ve got the site fees (c £8000 pa) at one not far from us and then they’ll boot your van off after a few years to make way for newer models. And with all that money committed, how do you then feel about going somewhere different?

Not a fan

This.

 

If you want a decent site with things going on, they are expensive, depreciate rapidly and the site fees can be crippling. In my mind you are better renting when you need to rather than laying money out.

 

Far better to rent, say, a cottage in Cornwall

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Champ said:

Everything’s shitter when you think about it. They’re hugely expensive, then you’ve got the site fees (c £8000 pa) at one not far from us and then they’ll boot your van off after a few years to make way for newer models. And with all that money committed, how do you then feel about going somewhere different?

Not a fan

 

This post has depressed me and ruined my caravan dream,  the dream wasn't even mine to begin with.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Champ said:

Everything’s shitter when you think about it. They’re hugely expensive, then you’ve got the site fees (c £8000 pa) at one not far from us and then they’ll boot your van off after a few years to make way for newer models. And with all that money committed, how do you then feel about going somewhere different?

Not a fan

Straight in there no fucking about today Champ. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

 

This post has depressed me and ruined my caravan dream,  the dream wasn't even mine to begin with.

I won't be dissuaded. 

 

Shit week at the office, nowt to do over the weekend except watch Britain's got talent, so 5pm Friday you grab your go bag and head to the van, only stop on the way round to buy a sausage dinner from the chippy which has children's windmills outside and a machine that dispenses round chewies with limited taste duration. 

 

Back to the van, fuck around with the aerial and find an old episode of the Equalizer on HTV. No phone reception either. 

 

 

 holiday_333_park%20beach%202.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Champ said:

Everything’s shitter when you think about it. They’re hugely expensive, then you’ve got the site fees (c £8000 pa) at one not far from us and then they’ll boot your van off after a few years to make way for newer models. And with all that money committed, how do you then feel about going somewhere different?

Not a fan

Spot on.

 

It's dead money. If you've got loads of disposal income it's fine but most people haven't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Champ said:

Everything’s shitter when you think about it. They’re hugely expensive, then you’ve got the site fees (c £8000 pa) at one not far from us and then they’ll boot your van off after a few years to make way for newer models. And with all that money committed, how do you then feel about going somewhere different?

Not a fan

Booooo

Although at £8000 pa fuck that

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Anyone ever owned one or know anybody who does? 

 

Some of my happiest memories were caravan holidays and I'd love one at some point, it's the top of my 'mundane dreams' list. All this bollocks has just made me think how boss it'd be, once things are hopefully back to normal, to just fuck off one Friday evening after work and spend the weekend down by the beach. 

 

Always wondered the best way to go about it, either buy a second hand one and find a reasonably priced site for it, or do it through one of the major companies. I don't fancy that though as apparently they kick you off once the van gets too old and you're basically back to square one. 

 

The Mrs likes the fancy ones that look like the inside of an Albert Dock flat. Me, I think part of the charm of a caravan is that it should be at least a tiny bit shit. A small telly/VCR combo in the corner, not many plates, and a table that's broken to the point where you have to rest it on your knee while you eat your fish and chips. VHS selection should include Gremlins II and Roadhouse. 

I'm more with your wife on this one , more a lodge than a caravan guy.

 

My grandad won the pools in the early 70s , 6 grand which was a decent chunk of money then, and bought a caravan in Talacre. Had some of the best days of my life there.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm more with your wife on this one , more a lodge than a caravan guy.

 

My grandad won the pools in the early 70s , 6 grand which was a decent chunk of money then, and bought a caravan in Talacre. Had some of the best days of my life there.

Me too, Point of Ayr? It was a different place in the 80s, next to a field that stank of cow shit, a post office that sold obscure comics, two arcades and an ice cream parlour. Wonderful.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×