You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Static Caravans

Section_31

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Me too, Point of Ayr? It was a different place in the 80s, next to a field that stank of cow shit, a post office that sold obscure comics, two arcades and an ice cream parlour. Wonderful.

Can't remember the name of the park to be honest , it was a shortish walk from the lighthouse. One random memory I have is a pub halfway up a hill nearby which was the first I had ever known to let kids in , having a separate playroom on the side. It seemed to be full of Scouse mini-gangsters and made the Boys Pen look like Claridges.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Can't remember the name of the park to be honest , it was a shortish walk from the lighthouse. One random memory I have is a pub halfway up a hill nearby which was the first I had ever known to let kids in , having a separate playroom on the side. It seemed to be full of Scouse mini-gangsters and made the Boys Pen look like Claridges.

Haha, a well known affliction I like to call ESD or Excessive Scouse Disorder which happens to some the minute they leave Liverpool. The accent becomes more pronounced and they become slightly more aggressive.

There's a knobhead in my local that everybody calls Scouse. I asked him where he was from a while back, West Kirby was the answer

We used to have a static when the kids were young.

Every Friday me , Mrs Qwik , the 3 boys and 8 dogs all piled into a 3 bed caravan on the Norfolk Coast 2 mins from the beach, pub, fish and chip shop and amusement arcade. My mate had one directly across from me so there was the occasional small dry sherry partaken for medicinal purposes obviously.

It was not a huge site and we knew most of the people in vans around us which I must admit lead to us going full McCann on occasion (the dogs were always there).

Sold it when the kids started asking for phone credit rather than candy floss.

Loved every minute of it.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Qwikage said:

We used to have a static when the kids were young.

Every Friday me , Mrs Qwik , the 3 boys and 8 dogs all piled into a 3 bed caravan on the Norfolk Coast 2 mins from the beach, pub, fish and chip shop and amusement arcade. My mate had one directly across from me so there was the occasional small dry sherry partaken for medicinal purposes obviously.

It was not a huge site and we knew most of the people in vans around us which I must admit lead to us going full McCann on occasion (the dogs were always there).

Sold it when the kids started asking for phone credit rather than candy floss.

Loved every minute of it.

mruGbZ.gif

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, A Red said:

This.

If you want a decent site with things going on, they are expensive, depreciate rapidly and the site fees can be crippling. In my mind you are better renting when you need to rather than laying money out.

Far better to rent, say, a cottage in Cornwall

That’s a damn fine idea. Do you have a website? Watching the Rick Stein programme on BBC2 all week and it looks incredible. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That’s a damn fine idea. Do you have a website? Watching the Rick Stein programme on BBC2 all week and it looks incredible. 

Will have to be 2022 having a complete refurb this year. Watching Rick Stein now, he is a brilliant ambassador. Nearly as many Cornwall programmes now as there are for Yorkshire.

• Upvote 1

It used to be great and fairly affordable, we had a static when I was a kid. It was about 15 grand for a nice caravan which you could finance over a few years and the site fees were reasonable. Meant that you could in effect trade 9 months worth of weekend plus school holidays there for the price of a ‘decent’ holiday abroad.

Now it’s scandalous. My mate has just got one. He’s paid 50k for a nice but not spectacular caravan and site fees are about the 8k pa already mentioned. He also has to upgrade every few years. 

He has the option to rent it out when he’s not there but it would barely cover the site fees due to the commission they want on the bookings.

They are boss trips away but overall you’re best just renting one, there’ll always be something available last minute and not too far away and you aren’t invested or tied to one place.

7 hours ago, Champ said:

Everything’s shitter when you think about it. They’re hugely expensive, then you’ve got the site fees (c £8000 pa) at one not far from us and then they’ll boot your van off after a few years to make way for newer models. And with all that money committed, how do you then feel about going somewhere different?

Not a fan

Get one at Southerness and you're safe for decades.

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

So a static caravan is a double wide?

I think static homes have different connotations in the States. Here they're usually in Wales and are a source of great childhood joy for scousers. Often they're brown but occasionally green.

18 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The Isle of Man and a caravan. Living my dream.

Caravans aren't really a thing on the Island, don't remember seeing that many in the thirty odd years I lived there. There are some restrictions around towed caravans IIRC, because of how narrow some of the roads are. There are shitloads of campsites and little farmhouse/chalet type places in the middle of nowhere though.

You need to feed your IOM dream though mate. Soon as the restrictions are lifted, get yourself on the ferry and get over for a look.

16 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Caravans aren't really a thing on the Island, don't remember seeing that many in the thirty odd years I lived there. There are some restrictions around towed caravans IIRC, because of how narrow some of the roads are. There are shitloads of campsites and little farmhouse/chalet type places in the middle of nowhere though.

You need to feed your IOM dream though mate. Soon as the restrictions are lifted, get yourself on the ferry and get over for a look.

yeah  they don't allow them on the island apparently, I asked a while back, dunno why. I'd like to live on the Isle of Man but have a caravan in Wales. As I say, it's a mundane dream. I want a dog too. And a beer fridge. 

I went mate a few years ago, just stayed in a hotel in Douglas. We drove the whole Island and saw all the main towns, I loved it, thought the people we met were sound. (lad at the car rental was about 20, spoke about how he went to Manchester once and got lost and couldn't wait to come home, amen). 

Mrs was quite impressed with the fact they don't have Ofsted over there too. We met a few people from places like Kent who'd got sick of the noise where they'd lived and went over there. 

• Upvote 1

Our kid used to have one of them big mobile home static vans up in Cartmel. It was a nice site and a roomy van but not my thing.

Think you have to watch the site owner's condition because some have it written into the pitch contract, you have to give them first option to buy. And they give you a low ball offer and try to prevent you selling to anyone you want for market value.

I knew one woman who sold her house and went to live on a holiday site in Fleetwood which is just about the arse end of Lancashire and always stinks of fish!

I prefer my tourer, smaller admittedly than a static (though it is 8m long) but back before all this was going off I’d regularly go off on a Friday afternoon after “working from home” for a few days

Kids love it still as we’ve gone all over the UK as well as weekends 

couldn’t bare the thought of going to the same place every weekend, might as well stay home 

Hope that helps