You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fake meat, are you in, or do you want dead animals?

Spy Bee

25 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Imagine Clarence the cross eyed Lion not eating meat, he'd be a gummy cunt too.

No, I can't really imagine that, because he's an obligate carnivore, which would still be the case even if he possessed the necessary thought processes to consider the ethical issues with his diet.

May have mentioned this before, but I'm reminded of it every time I hear of people cooking chicken, so...

She went to France with her family when she was a kid and her dad bought a whole chicken for dinner. This chicken had a corn stuffing inside it, so it was cooked as is. Out came this lovely looking roast chicken, but when they began to eat it, there was a horrible gritty texture. It turns out the "stuffing" was the remnants of this chicken's last meal plus all the grit in its gizzard that helps it grind down its food.

3 hours ago, Aventus said:

Add to that the fact nearly all of the male chicks are useless, they aren't for eatin' and they aren't for layin'.

Got a cock? Straight to the gas chamber you go. 

Gas chamber if they're lucky. Usually they're shovelled live into an industrial grinder.

• Upvote 1

To the original question, I haven't eaten meat in nearly two years on ethical grounds but I would try lab grown meat out of curiosity since there are no such ethical concerns.

Probably wouldn't make a habit of it as I'm too far gone and the idea of eating even lamb grown meat makes me slightly unsettled.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

No, I can't really imagine that, because he's an obligate carnivore, which would still be the case even if he possessed the necessary thought processes to consider the ethical issues with his diet.

What? Thanks anyway Mr Darwin. Just had some Biltong, fuckin ' lovely it was too. 

I've had some lovely meals that don't include meat but I've had a lot more that do include it, to be honest.

What I've found also, is that the tasty vegetarian meals have just as much (if not more) calories than a meal that includes meat, and calories are just as important as anything else to me when it comes to food choices.

I don't miss meat - there are some great alternatives but I agree the quality varies enormously. You just have to think of it as an alternative rather than a substitute. Homemade seitan is the best (made from wheat gluten) - the Isa Moskowitz recipe is delicious (https://www.theppk.com/2014/02/chicken-stylee-seitan/).

I also prefer this to real kebab meat (too greasy for me).

Vivera Veggie Shawarma Kebab

Also, another plus to eating meatless alternatives is that, I’ve found, they are always on the shelf as less people are buying them.

While people have been arguing over the last pack of chicken in the Asda during lockdowns/shortages I’m going home with everything I went there for. 

Roast Lamb, as someone said, is Gods gift to the gastric juices. 

I don't know where ethics come into eating meat apart from how they're slaughtered. 

Though I do reckon there is some meat that there's no need to eat and is just wrong, as in the Far East and some of the shit they eat, here in Europe there's no need to eat say Ortolan Buntings plus certain game like Snipe or Woodcock, I'd rather see them than eat them, nothing better than seeing a Snipe take flight when accidently disturbed with its whirring tail. 

Canada Goose is a bit rich though. 

Ive not had the opportunity to try any lab grown stuff yet. It doesn’t appear to be available in my district, and since Covid, I haven’t travelled. I can’t imagine it would be as tasty as pasture raised meat, or as nutritious. Is it economical to produce? If so, do they pass the savings onto the consumer? Like hell they do.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yep - the burger alternatives have a few good ones - that said I go w cheese, tomato, lettuce, pickle, "special" sauce which makes up most of the taste anyway. I prefer veg/bean burgers to regular now as I am not going to grind my own quality meat and store bought ground beef is shite.

Steak however is different - you get what you pay for. And you should pay extra cuz it is worth it.

Chicken is basically muck - birds eating their dead parents and their own shit. 

We buy SPCA approved free range chicken. Its a couple of dollars a kg more, but well worth it.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, cochyn said:

Dunno, does the lab consent? But seriously, I can't think of any reason -other than wanting to be a contrary tit- why someone would ethically object to lab grown meat. 

I once drunkenly told a girl that all unused donated blood is used to make vegan black puddings. After all, the blood was given consensually by its donors. She was horrified. Needless to say, I didn't pull that night. But I still sometimes ponder the market potential of human-derived protein. Obviously, it's completely immoral on all levels. But  someone somewhere would be game. Probably the same person who would take a stand against lab-grown 'meat'.

Someone might debunk this, but my understanding is that in that famous plane crash where the survivors had to eat the dead victims, when they arrived back in civilisation, the Drs who had to check them over, were pretty impressed with their great level of health /bio markers. Now admittedly, it was only short term, but cannibalism was practiced for ages in some cultures.

4 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Someone might debunk this, but my understanding is that in that famous plane crash where the survivors had to eat the dead victims, when they arrived back in civilisation, the Drs who had to check them over, were pretty impressed with their great level of health /bio markers. Now admittedly, it was only short term, but cannibalism was practiced for ages in some cultures.

Imagine the amount of families that could feast on the meat from Nicki Minaj's backside?

It’s inevitable and I’m quite looking forward to it, once of course things taste as good, which they will in time.

Quite a few of them are great already and they are improving constantly and are nothing like the old slop that was served up when I was a veggie. 

I think it’ll lead to a better world all in all, so bring it on.