You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fake meat, are you in, or do you want dead animals?

Spy Bee

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Take it up with Attenborough - heard it on one of his specials - or these folks

https://www.foodsecuritycenter.org/post/70-percent-of-all-birds-on-earth-are-farmed-poultry#:~:text=In other words%2C we do,the wild are just 30%.

Unless you are questioning the quality of an Impossible Burger.

He’s full of shit!  I’m going to stick a straw up a turtles nose 

https://fullfact.org/environment/how-many-birds-are-chickens/

My only issue with meat alternatives is that they vary wildly in quality, from taste to consistency. When you buy some pork sausages from a new manufacturer, they'll be great or at worst decent. The veggie ones can be good enough, but also absolutely rank.

Like Stig mentioned, Linda McCartney's mozzarella quarter pounders are really nice. As are Vivera chicken bits, which are slightly nutty.

As with any change of diet, I guess you have to stick with it for your taste buds to change. Eating less meat helps, but the problem is when a vegan friend tells you to try something they claim "is just like chicken", it never is, as you remember exactly what chicken tastes like, having had it recently.

32 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

A third of the earths land?  Really?  A third of it isn’t even capable of being farmed.  

It's one third of the world's arable land that is used to grow crops for animal feed.

In total, 77% of agricultural land is used for livestock, which provides 18% of global calories.

• Upvote 2

There's a vegan Chinese by us and it's exceptional. The ribs taste like ribs, but the lack of bones is a dead give away.

I stayed in Malaysia for a week once and only ate meat once because there was a huge amount of vegetarian alternatives, and I didn't miss meat. UK is lacking in viable alternatives.

So would anybody not have lab grown meat, because it is grown in a lab?

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

There's a vegan Chinese by us and it's exceptional. The ribs taste like ribs, but the lack of bones is a dead give away.

I stayed in Malaysia for a week once and only ate meat once because there was a huge amount of vegetarian alternatives, and I didn't miss meat. UK is lacking in viable alternatives.

So would anybody not have lab grown meat, because it is grown in a lab?

Dunno, does the lab consent? But seriously, I can't think of any reason -other than wanting to be a contrary tit- why someone would ethically object to lab grown meat. 

I once drunkenly told a girl that all unused donated blood is used to make vegan black puddings. After all, the blood was given consensually by its donors. She was horrified. Needless to say, I didn't pull that night. But I still sometimes ponder the market potential of human-derived protein. Obviously, it's completely immoral on all levels. But  someone somewhere would be game. Probably the same person who would take a stand against lab-grown 'meat'.

Tons of great meat alternatives now that are decent.

My Mrs wanted to cut out meat during the week a few months ago and had to coax me into it a bit.

Truth is I found it easier than I thought. Now we’re pretty much exclusively meat free all week.

Still do eat meat (had turkey and gammon over Christmas) but I’m not missing it at all. There are some dishes where it’s not as good (anything involving mince such as a cottage pie, Spag Boll, Chilli....etc)

I’ll still eat meat occasionally but happy to keep going with it.

These things are bloody lovely too. 

3DBAC1B5-BEF9-49F4-B29A-AE2E88071DAE.jpeg

• Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Give this a go on Netflix and you'l see what eating meat all the time is doing to your body, especially your blood 

gamechangersnetflix-1.jpg

My missus never stops with this shit, I don't come on here to be told meat is bad for me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

yNlQWRM.jpg

I prefer meat.

My lads other half is veggie, so we've bought veggie food for when she comes round, (pre Covid).

Missus was looking in the freezer for something for our tea and she put some of that shite in front of me.

I tried it, didn't like it, it gave me shocking indigestion, won't try it again.

What about the natural benefits that are in meat? I eat less red meat but fucked if I'd give up chicken or goat for example. 

What ghastly ingredients would they put in the alternative? Imagine Clarence the cross eyed Lion not eating meat, he'd be a gummy cunt too.

No bones, isn't it the sweeter the meat nearest the bone? 

Fuck that. 

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

Tons of great meat alternatives now that are decent.

My Mrs wanted to cut out meat during the week a few months ago and had to coax me into it a bit.

Truth is I found it easier than I thought. Now we’re pretty much exclusively meat free all week.

Still do eat meat (had turkey and gammon over Christmas) but I’m not missing it at all. There are some dishes where it’s not as good (anything involving mince such as a cottage pie, Spag Boll, Chilli....etc)

I’ll still eat meat occasionally but happy to keep going with it.

These things are bloody lovely too. 

3DBAC1B5-BEF9-49F4-B29A-AE2E88071DAE.jpeg

Negged. Spaghetti is a beautiful word. I hate people abbreviating it.

• Upvote 2