You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Must have kitchen appliances...

1892-LFCWasBorn

On 13/01/2021 at 04:49, Evelyn Tentions said:

just use a bowl or plate. Turn it upside down and there is a ring of unglazed pottery. Instant ceramic knife sharpener. A bowl keeps your fingers out of the way unlike a butchers steel.

Note -this doesn't work with melamine stuff

I’ve just felt sick at the thought of the scraping of a knife over unglazed porcelain. Honest I’m angry at having read that.

We make a batch stew for Izzy, it’s great for hiding veg like leek, carrots, potatoes, celery.  She moans when we tell her she’s having it but once it’s in front of her she eats all of it, with no need to chivy her along and mops up the gravy with two pieces of bread.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

After reading this thread, I got myself a pizza maker. Really good bit of kit and the kids love it. Today’s lunch

34929CE4-D533-4A05-BA20-26663063CE04.jpeg

I have one and love it, probably my recommendation so hooray for me, what a hero. 

I'd recommend buying a small peel and a wire brush, I also bought a metal scraper for errant topping scrapeage. 

I've been experimenting with higher hydration (70%) and/or 3 day proofing with the dough. Once I have found the perfect dough I'll work on my tomato sauce recipe. Once I have nailed that I'll make my own mozzarella and start fellating myself in triumph. 

Also not got round to it but there are a number of other usages for the oven outside of pizza. Can't wait for fresh peaches to be available as quick backing them looks sensual. 

33 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Great recommendation. Thanks. Can you clean the stone with a wire brush ? 

I use this brush designed for brushing fireplaces. You don't want to clean with water as it can cause the stone to crack. So scrape and brush to clean, though you'll soon get some black patches but that's all part of the charm and adds to the flavour 

IMG_20210302_191456.jpg

9 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Ok thanks. We are risking turning this into Mums net. That said, feel free to post your dough recipe. Thanks again

I think it was this one I followed though not to the letter as I like experimenting:

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’m researching and buying speciality flours, getting predictably obsessed as is my want with new stuff. That said I read a book review last week about a bloke who got so obsessed with bread making he rented a field and hand planted his own obscure strain of wheat which he had to import. That’s proper obsessive. 

Haha yeah I love a perfectionist approach ever since I bought a pizza express book maybe 20 years ago and it had findings from analysis of water, ideal air humidity and surface to knead on. What kind of grass the buffalo eat that makes the milk for Mozzarella. 

YouTube has endless videos on pizza. I have bought 00 flour in bulk on the past, but don't really see any discernable improvement but like a twat still have to use it. 

4 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

We make a batch stew for Izzy, it’s great for hiding veg like leek, carrots, potatoes, celery.  She moans when we tell her she’s having it but once it’s in front of her she eats all of it, with no need to chivy her along and mops up the gravy with two pieces of bread.  

Stew? Make her a pan of Scouse, you wool.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Somebody will fall out with somebody else over proving times and we will all be calling each other nonce cunts within a couple of pages. 

Reported.