You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Poverty in the UK

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Nice -- where were you able to identify your neighborhood as being in the top 2%?

I didn't see anything on that in the article posted.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/465791/English_Indices_of_Deprivation_2015_-_Statistical_Release.pdf

have a look on here mate see if you can find it. What the report definitely does not show is that some fella round the corner owns a mazda and the tesco sells expensive cider vinegar so kids aren't starving round there 

As a preface, some posters on here might be aware that I run a sign shop - so alot of the time I am waiting for paint to dry, literally - that said - is it Wallasey? Cuz that does not appear to be anywhere near the top 2 %:

These numbers are from 2019

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/english-indices-of-deprivation-statistics-comparison-for-wallasey-in-wirral-e05000974.html

17 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Is part of the issue that so much poverty is hidden?

Let me qualify that. I just checked the UK indices of deprivation 2015 and apparently my area is in the 2% most deprived in England. I never would have known that unless I checked. Cars I've seen parked in the street include MGs, Mazdas and Porsches. Someone a few doors down has a Jaguar. I popped to the Tesco round the corner today and they had a £7 bottle of apple cider vinegar; who is buying this stuff? The poor?

If I can't see poverty, and I live in one of the 700 (out of nearly 33,000) most deprived neighbourhoods in the country, then what chance does someone in the more prosperous parts of the country - where I assume they have even more Jag-driving, seven quid vinegar-swigging denizens - have?

Last time I was in Wallasey was Christmas just before Covid and to my eyes, having lived in the South for 25 years, it looked desperate

30 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Last time I was in Wallasey was Christmas just before Covid and to my eyes, having lived in the South for 25 years, it looked desperate

it does.  My first house was in New Brighton, and I used to think Wallasey was as posh as anything. Not any more.  But it's the same all over the country to at least some degree.  The number of empty shops on Guildford high street is frightening.

44 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

As a preface, some posters on here might be aware that I run a sign shop - so alot of the time I am waiting for paint to dry, literally - that said - is it Wallasey? Cuz that does not appear to be anywhere near the top 2 %:

You need to drill down to neighbourhood level

Indices of Deprivation 2015 and 2019 (communities.gov.uk)

In 2019, this LOA is ranked 652 out of 32,844 LSOAs in England, where 1 is the most deprived LSOA

Appreciate that Howie calling me a liar has basically forced me to concede the last shred of anonymity around where I live that I may have enjoyed, so thanks for that.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Appreciate that Howie calling me a liar has basically forced me to concede the last shred of anonymity around where I live that I may have enjoyed, so thanks for that.

Hahahaha Fucking. Hell.

You've said before you live in Wallasey? Get over yourself. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Hahahaha Fucking. Hell.

You've said before you live in Wallasey? Get over yourself. 

Yeah, but not the literal block of streets.

Isn't it funny though how it's only me who has these demands for personal information made upon him in the first place.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah, but not the literal block of streets.

Isn't it funny though how it's only me who has these demands for personal information made upon him in the first place.

Show me where anyone has asked you to post what block of streets you live on. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Show me where anyone has asked you to post what block of streets you live on. 

I point out that I live in one of the 2% most deprived neighbourhoods in the country, a fairly uncontroversial statement that would be taken at face vale if posted by anyone else. Instead I get people calling me a liar and claiming that it's nothing of the sort. So the only way for me to disprove this is by posting the precise rank of the precise neighbourhood in which I live.

Half surprised that people aren't demanding I take photos of my neighbours' cars just to prove I'm not bullshitting about that either.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I point out that I live in one of the 2% most deprived neighbourhoods in the country, a fairly uncontroversial statement that would be taken at face vale if posted by anyone else. Instead I get people calling me a liar and claiming that it's nothing of the sort. So the only way for me to disprove this is by posting the precise rank of the precise neighbourhood in which I live.

Half surprised that people aren't demanding I take photos of my neighbours' cars just to prove I'm not bullshitting about that either.

I don't think anyone really gives a flying fuck where you live. Howie was asking you to show where your area was named in the 2% most deprived areas (because it wasn't easy to spot on that report), a topic YOU brought up. Nobody has 'demanded' anything off you. 

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You need to drill down to neighbourhood level

Indices of Deprivation 2015 and 2019 (communities.gov.uk)

That's interesting info you posted.

Going by that my local authority, South Oxfordshire, is ranked 302 out of 319 least deprived areas in the country so, compared nationally very little deprivation. Little pockets in a swathe of affluence

Yet it's growing and evident everywhere as Stringy mentioned re Guildford

Just a lot less than places like Wallasey and I don't have a downer on Wallasey... got a lot of lovely areas there

20 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Someone has to pick up the slack when Stig drops the ball.

At least you don't live in 11B - 157 in 2019 - there has to be some poor folks there right?

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't believe anyone else has made a statement like "I live in one of the 2% poorest neighborhoods in the country but I just don't see it".

Reminds me of the first wave when there were 100,000s of thousands of cases of Covid yet you didn't know a single person who had it.

Just strange coincidences to the neutral, that's all.

insert "Why Always Me" gif here.

• Upvote 1

Reminds me of the banter you always get around poor people having 'wide screen TVs' and 'smartphones!'.

I always assume people who say it aren't that stupid to assume that means you aren't poor, especially in the age of cheap credit and where it's the little things that shine a light on a life of pure despair. I suspect people who spout this stuff know it, but it's part of the art of blaming the victim. It's your fault you're poor, if only you'd manage your money.

True poverty is poverty of opportunity. Working three jobs but still being skint, or even if you do go to college or uni, not knowing anyone who can give you a break, or being able to survive long enough without any paying job to get the job you really wanted. 

There's a self congratulatory tone to a lot of people who aren't utterly broke, that they work hard and others don't, yet dig beneath the surface and see the housing deposit they got from mum and dad, or the half decent school they went to where they could concentrate on their work, rather than not getting their heads kicked in.

• Upvote 5

34 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Reminds me of the first wave when there were 100,000s of thousands of cases of Covid yet you didn't know a single person who had it.

I didn't know anyone who had it for a long time. Then I knew a few who did. Still don't know anyone who died from it, like.

18 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I didn't know anyone who had it for a long time. Then I knew a few who did. Still don't know anyone who died from it, like.

Yea, you were very lucky man, and blessed to not be affected by the high poverty rate where you live.

I have just taken a virtual Google maps ride down Caithnees Dr. towards the water. Its nice. No Aston Martins but there were a few MB wagons - decent gardens as well.