You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Poverty in the UK

Bjornebye

6 hours ago, melons said:

£98 to £234 for us... 

We can cushion it somewhat over the winter - keep underfloor heating off and use the log burner more, but shit me, that direct debit is going to be a massive hit.  Like you, it's holding on until spring.

Ours was £84 for both now we took a fixed for £108.

23 hours ago, A Red said:

Nope, it will always grow. You earn 30k and have 100k equity and I earn 29k and have 90k equity, the gap between us increases every year.

The only measurement is relative poverty, are the poorer getting better off than they were.

Life expectancy has significantly dropped in the poorer areas of the country ,mostly in the north, whilst affluent places in the south have stayed the same.

I'm not sure how that qualifies the poorer being better off

37 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

It will get far, far worse than that when the true catastrophic damage caused by the pandemic lockdowns is realised.

I don't know what person to shout at anymore.

My work in the UK means I'm front line on a lot of this shit and you have poverty and suffering on a Dickensian scale and cuts are getting deeper and deeper, and crueler and crueler and the support, and networks, are being removed with an almost glee like fervour.

The country turned a corner years back and we ain't getting back to a place where compassion, community and care are central to anything anytime soon.

Without doing the woe is me shit I grew up in abject poverty, raised on a rough as shit council estate, on an inadequate state pension by a single (grand)mother, who had worked her hands raw to provide for he kids arm free he husband died in his early thirties. We literally had fuck all, always hiding from Monday man, shaking myself to sleep in the cold and skipping meals. My first line on my Cambridge application was genuinely 'It was toast again for dinner for the third night on the trot, but today was different, we had no margarine. At this point I knew there was something wrong with the world and I need to be part of a change' and I know that many, many more have it far worse than I had now.

How the fuck can it be worse than a family half starving themselves and hiding from debt collectors, but it is.

The shit I saw on a day to day was genuinely soul destroying, fathers crying as you hand them a food parcle, families cheering you as you come up the drive with, barely, a few days worth of stuff.

And the above will be considered good times.

Fuck me, stop this bullshit, I need to get off. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I don't know what person to shout at anymore.

My work in the UK means I'm front line on a lot of this shit and you have poverty and suffering on a Dickensian scale and cuts are getting deeper and deeper, and crueler and crueler and the support, and networks, are being removed with an almost glee like fervour.

The country turned a corner years back and we ain't getting back to a place where compassion, community and care are central to anything anytime soon.

Without doing the woe is me shit I grew up in abject poverty, raised on an inadequate state pension by a single (grand)mother. We literally had fuck all, always hiding from Monday man, shaking myself to sleep in the cold and skipping meals. My first line on my Cambridge appliction was genuinelly 'It was toast again for dinner for the third night on the trot, but today was different, we had no margarine. At this point I knew there was something wrong with the world and I need to be part of a change' and I know that many, many more have it far worse than I had now.

How the fuck can it be worse than a family half starving themselves and hiding from debt collectors, but it is.

The shit I saw on a day to day was genuinelly soul destroying, fathers crying as you hand them a food parcle, families cheering you as you come up the drive with, barely, a few days worth of stuff.

And the above will be considered good times.

Fuck me, stop this bullshit, I need to get off. 

And the killing joke is that there is enough on the planet for everybody.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

But we took back control of our borders,etc,etc.

130,000 preventable deaths over a seven year period due to austerity, all before Brexit. Its important not to rewrite history as this can inadvertently give the perpetrators an alibi for their mass murder.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/01/perfect-storm-austerity-behind-130000-deaths-uk-ippr-report?__twitter_impression=true

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is part of the issue that so much poverty is hidden?

Let me qualify that. I just checked the UK indices of deprivation 2015 and apparently my area is in the 2% most deprived in England. I never would have known that unless I checked. Cars I've seen parked in the street include MGs, Mazdas and Porsches. Someone a few doors down has a Jaguar. I popped to the Tesco round the corner today and they had a £7 bottle of apple cider vinegar; who is buying this stuff? The poor?

If I can't see poverty, and I live in one of the 700 (out of nearly 33,000) most deprived neighbourhoods in the country, then what chance does someone in the more prosperous parts of the country - where I assume they have even more Jag-driving, seven quid vinegar-swigging denizens - have?

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Let me qualify that. I just checked the UK indices of deprivation 2015 and apparently my area is in the 2% most deprived in England. I never would have known that unless I checked. Cars I've seen parked in the street include MGs, Mazdas and Porsches. Someone a few doors down has a Jaguar. I popped to the Tesco round the corner today and they had a £7 bottle of apple cider vinegar; who is buying this stuff? The poor?

If I can't see poverty, and I live in one of the 700 (out of nearly 33,000) most deprived neighbourhoods in the country, then what chance does someone in the more prosperous parts of the country - where I assume they have even more Jag-driving, seven quid vinegar-swigging denizens - have?

Wallasey is next to one of the more affluent areas in the North West. You only have to spend a day in London to see how close money is to poverty. You know all this. 

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Wallasey is next to one of the more affluent areas in the North West. You only have to spend a day in London to see how close money is to poverty. You know all this. 

No, I don't. And what's this affluent area I'm supposed to be adjacent to?

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Living near to affluent people doesn't mean you're affluent. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Living near to affluent people doesn't mean you're affluent. 

You know I did just mention I live in one of the apparently poorest neighbourhoods in the country. My commentary is about how there are few visible signs of that.

17 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You know I did just mention I live in one of the apparently poorest neighbourhoods in the country. My commentary is about how there are few visible signs of that.

Yet more evidence that you know absolutely fuck all about real life. Fair play to you, it's a better bubble to live in than reality.