You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Poverty in the UK

Bjornebye

15 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The story here is not the bill. My understanding is the customer didn’t complain but posted the bill online and someone took it and had a go.

The story here is not that Salt Bae has found a grift taking £850 off gullible morons for a gold leaf steak (which won’t be a patch on Lifey’s). If the gullible fuckers pay up then somebody is going to take their money.

But consider this, the current universal credit rates for a month are:

Your circumstances   Monthly standard allowance
Single and under 25 £257.33
Single and 25 or over £324.84
In a couple and you’re both under 25 £403.93 (for you both)

In a couple and either of you are 25 or over

£509.91 (for you both)

That means if you added the single figures together for what two single people (one over and one under 25) get to live on for a month, it’s less than the price of a single steak. 

When you consider that there are many families in work still relying on some form of Universal Credit top up, the disparity between the upper echelons of wealth and the bottom is stark.

And we are apparently a rich country so imagine being poor elsewhere. The game isn’t straight.

I’m not sure where I’m going with this other than feeling despair.

The gap between rich and poor will always grow, that's the way it is. Comparing some peoples incomes with other peoples outgoings doesn't really give a fair reflection of society. The figures above are too low though.

1 hour ago, A Red said:

The gap between rich and poor will always grow, that's the way it is. Comparing some peoples incomes with other peoples outgoings doesn't really give a fair reflection of society. The figures above are too low though.

The customer didn't complain about the bill because he got what he wanted - bragging rights on social media. 

You're right though - better one of Lifey's gert lush steaks, served by him in his tatty sweater, that an over-priced priced shit served by a tosser throwing gold leaf around.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

The gap between rich and poor only grows when you let it, 

Nope, it will always grow. You earn 30k and have 100k equity and I earn 29k and have 90k equity, the gap between us increases every year.

The only measurement is relative poverty, are the poorer getting better off than they were.

22 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Energy bills are going to ruin people this year. My sister has just been told her bill is doubling on a flexy rate and tripling if its fixed.

Yep, they are going to push people over the edge, no doubt about it. I’m bracing myself for my first BG bill after the clown shoes company I was with collapsed.

49 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Energy bills are going to ruin people this year. My sister has just been told her bill is doubling on a flexy rate and tripling if its fixed.

I've just been told by my union Unite that they've been unable to get any energy supplier to participate in a group energy auction at present. They've informed everybody who signed up to let their fixed rate contract lapse, go on to a variable tariff, and they'll try again in February.

My monthly payment is going up from £88 to £132. If I took a fixed rate from the same supplier it would be at least £160.

Privatised energy is a fucking con! It always has been!

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

My contract with BG is up end of November and they've quoted me a £500 annual increase, roughly a 50 percent increase.

I usually do the Merseyside Collective Switch but when I put in my details the column that usually has all the deals was empty. 

It's the council tax increase I'm not looking forward to, that's maxing me out already. Still, at least Liverpool Council got to blow £47m planting some trees down The Strand. 

53 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Spoke to a couple of homeless fellas in London today. Gave the first one the only fiver I had in cash after talking to him for a couple of minutes. The second one I spoke to was a scouser, accused the first one of being a fake homeless, and all I had to offer him was a five minute conversation. It’s just grim. 

Many, if not most, beggars, are not actually homeless. And on the flipside, many homeless don't resort to begging. This is why I never give money to beggars and would always recommend directing cash to homeless charities; they will be best placed to know where the genuine need is.

12 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

I've just been told by my union Unite that they've been unable to get any energy supplier to participate in a group energy auction at present. They've informed everybody who signed up to let their fixed rate contract lapse, go on to a variable tariff, and they'll try again in February.

My monthly payment is going up from £88 to £132. If I took a fixed rate from the same supplier it would be at least £160.

Privatised energy is a fucking con! It always has been!

£98 to £234 for us... 

We can cushion it somewhat over the winter - keep underfloor heating off and use the log burner more, but shit me, that direct debit is going to be a massive hit.  Like you, it's holding on until spring.

And to think this was written prior to the current crisis.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/13/almost-400000-more-uk-homes-heading-for-fuel-poverty-campaigners-say

Almost 400,000 UK households could be pushed into fuel poverty this winter as energy bills climb by almost 10% as a result of rising gas market prices.

At least 3 million homes in the UK are already thought to be unable to afford their energy bills, and the number in fuel poverty could grow by 392,000 within the coming months.

Fuel poverty campaigners have warned that for every one percentage point rise in annual energy bills, an additional 40,000 homes may fall into the fuel poverty category.

The warning comes as energy experts raised concern that the average dual fuel energy bill could jump by an average of £112 a year from October if the energy regulator’s price cap is reset at its highest ever level after record gas market prices.

Simon Francis, the coordinator of the End Fuel Poverty Coalition, said a second energy bill hike this year would “be disastrous for the millions on the brink of fuel poverty”. Francis added that many were “still reeling from the increases in bills caused by stay-at-home lockdown measures for the last 18 months”.

“Any price rise – however small – will mean the choice between heating or eating becomes even starker later this year,” he said. “If that wasn’t bad enough, fuel poverty can make respiratory illnesses worse – meaning conditions such as Covid may be exacerbated by living in cold, damp homes.”

A standard gas and electricity bill is expected to climb to an average of £1,250 a year this winter after a dramatic surge in global energy markets, which has forced gas prices across Europe to record highs.

The energy regulator, Ofgem, is expected to raise the maximum rate at which suppliers can charge homes using standard variable energy tariffs – affecting 15 million homes – based on the costs faced by energy suppliers.

But even households that have shopped around for a cheaper energy deal are likely to pay far more this winter as cheap fixed-rate deals come to an end and disappear from the market.

Matt Copeland, the head of policy at National Energy Action, a fuel poverty campaign group, said although Ofgem’s price cap is important to help protect bill-payers from unfair prices, the regulator should work with the government to help those worst affected by rising utility debt and improve home insulation.

“Without intervention, more people will remain cold at home during the winter, be more susceptible to respiratory illness, and unfortunately many will die. That is a truly unacceptable outcome, especially as the solutions to avoid it are well known,” he said.

1 hour ago, melons said:

£98 to £234 for us... 

We can cushion it somewhat over the winter - keep underfloor heating off and use the log burner more, but shit me, that direct debit is going to be a massive hit.  Like you, it's holding on until spring.

Frig me, that's ridiculous! I get a few quid every month from my new employer towards heat and light as a home worker, every little helps.

16 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Walked past his gaff in Dubai earlier, it's surrounded by great restaurants, but it's the only one with people queueing to get in.

Fair fucks to him, he's openly ripping off morons.

Any daft cunt who chooses to go to Dubai is a moron.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Spoke to a couple of homeless fellas in London today. Gave the first one the only fiver I had in cash after talking to him for a couple of minutes. The second one I spoke to was a scouser, accused the first one of being a fake homeless, and all I had to offer him was a five minute conversation. It’s just grim. 

Indeed, as if it wasn't bad enough that he is homeless he had to speak to you for 5 minutes as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

20 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Walked past his gaff in Dubai earlier, it's surrounded by great restaurants, but it's the only one with people queueing to get in.

Fair fucks to him, he's openly ripping off morons.

I know someone who recently went to a 'boutique' hotel in Greece after trousering best part of £50 million after selling his business. Thing is, this prick delighted in telling everyone who would listen about how the steak arsehole flew in on his helicopter just to sprinkle whatever shit onto his piece of meat; this apparently makes it worth north of a grand. The sole reason that all these bellends do this is to brag about it to other people and it follows that they will tell everyone how amazing the steak is  regardless as they wouldn't want to look even more of a gobshite if it turned out that it was no better than the £30-£40 steak up the road. His total meal for that night was over £3000 for 6 of them. 'How do I know?' you ask, because he couldn't wait to tell me. 

After a few minutes of suffering the minutiae of each course I couldn't help but point out how much £3000 would help people struggling to buy food. The look of shock, followed by the flounce and accusations of jealousy made me realise even more what a warped, vile world we live in. Guess which party he votes for, the supercilious twat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Nothing wrong with a bit of luxury now and then but to have some cunt charge over the odds to put some salt on a piece of meat is a kick in the face of anyone struggling. "Look at me some cunt i cunt sunglasses and a cunt white t-shirt has just let me take a picture of him putting salt on my dinner" cunts 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

I know someone who recently went to a 'boutique' hotel in Greece after trousering best part of £50 million after selling his business. Thing is, this prick delighted in telling everyone who would listen about how the steak arsehole flew in on his helicopter just to sprinkle whatever shit onto his piece of meat; this apparently makes it worth north of a grand. The sole reason that all these bellends do this is to brag about it to other people and it follows that they will tell everyone how amazing the steak is  regardless as they wouldn't want to look even more of a gobshite if it turned out that it was no better than the £30-£40 steak up the road. His total meal for that night was over £3000 for 6 of them. 'How do I know?' you ask, because he couldn't wait to tell me. 

After a few minutes of suffering the minutiae of each course I couldn't help but point out how much £3000 would help people struggling to buy food. The look of shock, followed by the flounce and accusations of jealousy made me realise even more what a warped, vile world we live in. Guess which party he votes for, the supercilious twat.

Warra fucking knob. I don't mind paying for good stuff but that is obscene. In fact, I hate wasting food because so many throughout the world simply do not know where the next meal is coming from.

• Upvote 2