You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Poverty in the UK

Bjornebye

This piece of shite:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Clarke_(politician)

But the local government minister Simon Clarke, who voted against giving vouchers to help feed children during the school holidays, citing the billions the government had put into the welfare system during the pandemic, appeared to accuse the England star of “seeking to whip a storm up on Twitter”.

Over the last lockdown I worked with some schools and a couple of charities to help deliver food packages throughout East London.

They were reliant on donations, though some restaurants stepped up and cooked up stuff as well, and the packages they put together for what I imagine were a lot less than thirty quid were great. Filled with nutritious meals to microwave, fresh and dried stuff and a few treats.

More than enough to feed a kid for a week, with some left over for the family.

The problem with the tories, well one of numerous, is they have no vision of somewhere down the line. Austerity caused this, decimation of industry caused this, universal credit caused this, allowing transnational companies to import products without tariffs caused this, a lax attitude to debt caused this.

Their solution is what it always is, get somebody else to do it, cheaply, but they never learn and it never works and it’s never cheap.

These poor fuckers are nothing more than the manifestation of wholesale Tory disregard for anything but profit in the here and now, yet blame will still be apportioned to the ‘lazy, feckless wastrels who sit at home smoking fags and watching sky on their wide screen TVs.’

Provide opportunities, jobs and hope and you won’t need food parcels or parts of the welfare state, but they’re too ideologically bound to self interest to see this, even though it would generate wealth for the country and increase taxable income in the future.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I watch a lot of Sky News and their reports on poverty have really been an eye opener. Absolutey sickening to watch. 

Things were grim before this cunt of a pandemic. Said this previously in a rant on the Covid thread is that I've read countless stories of suicides by mainly single mums because they can't put food in their kids mouths. 

In terms of the profitering this was the same back in April last year with the food parcels for the vulnerable. There were plenty of Twitter threads on it,

Poverty is not just a UK issue as the US is as bad if not worse, which is unfuckingivable given the wealth of both. 

Australia is the same , tax cuts to the rich, demonization of the poor.

Poverty is political policy.No excuse for it.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Australia is the same , tax cuts to the rich, demonization of the poor.

Poverty is political policy.No excuse for it.

Regularly visit the US, where seen it with my own eyes.

Not been to Oz in 5 years.  Will go back after this cunt pandemic is over.

Dreading to see how bad things are in Sydney in terms of poverty.

17 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Over the last lockdown I worked with some schools and a couple of charities to help deliver food packages throughout East London.

They were reliant on donations, though some restaurants stepped up and cooked up stuff as well, and the packages they put together for what I imagine were a lot less than thirty quid were great. Filled with nutritious meals to microwave, fresh and dried stuff and a few treats.

The problem with the tories, well one of numerous, is they have no vision of somewhere down the line. Austerity caused this, decimation of industry caused this, universal credit caused this, allowing transnational companies to import products without tariffs caused this, a lax attitude to debt caused this.

Their solution is what it always is, get somebody else to do it, cheaply, but they never learn and it never works and it’s never cheap.

These poor fuckers are nothing more than the manifestation of wholesale Tory disregard for anything but profit in the here and now, yet blame will still be apportioned to the ‘lazy, feckless wastrels who sit at home smoking fags and watching sky on their wide screen TVs.’

Provide opportunities, jobs and hope and you won’t need food parcels or parts of the welfare state, but they’re too ideologically bound to self interest to see this, even though it would generate wealth for the country and increase taxable income in the future.

I agree to an extent but I disagree in that they have no vision down the line. They know it will have a negative effect on people down the line but they will not have t pay for that negative effect, so they don't care. It is not about doing it cheaper, that is their PR saying private better than public, it is about making money in the short term for themselves and their cronies.

On a simple example, if you said to a large company, you could make a quick profit now but it would mean higher unemployment in the country in the long term, every single one would go for the quick profit now, as they do not have to pay for the consequences of their actions. Just move on to the next company and get their tax breaks, repeat and rinse. Then obviously blame the skivers for being unemployed. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Section_31 said:

Interesting that the UK, Australia and the USA have all got one person in common. Murdoch. 

I have seen you post this a lot, and I am 100% in agreement, I find it strange some people underplay the role of the media in people voting against their own self interest. The evidence would point to it playing a major part. 

I have posted previously how, despite the dwindling sales of the printed media it is still widely influential. On both BBC and Sky they have "Tomorrows Headlines" and then on the day "paper review" where they happily spending half an hour reading the front pages of the papers and talking about them in detail. People may not be buying the papers but they are still getting indoctrinated with their narrative. 

Now being a perfect example, the usual suspects will be defending this shit with, ciggies, alcohol, despite the fact it is not possible to do that. Alternative facts deliberately peddled by disingenuous cunts. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I agree to an extent but I disagree in that they have no vision down the line. They know it will have a negative effect on people down the line but they will not have t pay for that negative effect, so they don't care. It is not about doing it cheaper, that is their PR saying private better than public, it is about making money in the short term for themselves and their cronies.

On a simple example, if you said to a large company, you could make a quick profit now but it would mean higher unemployment in the country in the long term, every single one would go for the quick profit now, as they do not have to pay for the consequences of their actions. Just move on to the next company and get their tax breaks, repeat and rinse. Then obviously blame the skivers for being unemployed. 

I think these Tories are a different breed. They're like gangsters in the sense that they combine a lack of traditional intelligence with strongarm tactics, usually through manipulation, lies and disinformation, to get what they want, which is always centred on themselves, consequences be damned. 

I'd say Cameron and Osborn were the first batch of these cunts. Previously, people like Hesselteine, Clarke, maybe even Thatcher, their belief in private trumps public was born from genuinely held beliefs. You could sit them down and ask them why they thought what they thought, and they'd at least be able to offer up some semblence of an explanation. 

With Rees Mogg, Johnson etc, they're not actually very bright guys and they've proven that they're not moral men either. They regurgitate this kind of Tory Tourettes bingo where they just shout out stuff like 'queen' 'country' 'freedom' but it doesn't mean anything, at all.  

38 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Oh, yeah, it’s naive, it was typed more in hope than expectation.

They’re cunts, I know this all too well.

41 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Right reply this time! 

Oh, yeah, it’s naive, it was typed more in hope than expectation.

They’re cunts, I know this all too well.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Whenever I think nothing could possibly surprise me about this regime they always, ALWAYS outdo themselves

People love them mate. I don't understand it. I honestly think there could be a civil war in this country - half the population are absolute whoppers and keep voting for them no matter what shit they pull.

I’m sure the Doffers will be out in force on social media and the DM comments section, telling us all how they survived on a carrot and two spoons of porridge a week during the war, even though none of them were born until the mid 50s onwards. 

Sure as eggs on the DM website...

monja, Birmigham, United Kingdom, 2 minutes ago

Mum can't afford food but have phone and access to Internet to complain about school?? I understand that people can be in different situations however there is lots of people out there who think they should get lots of free stuff because they are being poor.. but they all have phones cars ipads... how about prioritise you money better so you can afford to feed your child.. or go to work.. there is lots of hardworking people who are struggling and do not have any help.. and then there the ones who are just claiming benefits thinking they are entitled to every help possible..

I reckon a lot of people who're moaning about how easy it is to feed your kids 

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’m sure the Doffers will be out in force on social media and the DM comments section, telling us all how they survived on a carrot and two spoons of porridge a week during the war, even though none of them were born until the mid 50s onwards. 

Sure as eggs on the DM website...

Ah yes, those state handouts. Begrudge someone an extra £20 a week on their universal credit,  but not a 10 million PPE contract given to a sandwich shop owned by Michael Portillo's niece. 

A lot of these DM cunts will soon find themselves in similar situations anyway, the coming recession won't discriminate on class. 

We live in a hyperbolic situation where everything HAS to be black or white. 

SO you're either a wealth creater, grafting your arse off daily to provide for your family

or

one of those "dirty rotten scroungers" sat at home with all the best technology, new car on the drive (bought on the never never) smokin 40 a day, sippin lambrini and making sure you're 8 sproglets have the best and latest I-Phones, trainers and GymKing gear, ALL of paid for by the state.

When in reality there are many shades of Grey (more than 50 even).

SO what if 0.5% of those on benefits are taking the piss and are spending all the UC on fags n booze.

There's a significant chunk that finds themselves utterly desperate, who can't see a way out and the only life line is the extra £20 that the Tories have given to them (given as some elaborate gift that they should be eternally grateful for btw), but they don't make headlines.

We are turning ourselves into a truly judgemental society, rather than one that helps it's neighbours.   

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's just a rotten culture. Whether it's a credit crisis, pandemic or economic and social fallout someone will make money from it and they'll be enabled to. There'll be countless people licking their lips at the thought of all the repossessed homes and businesses about to flood the market too. A spiritually and morally bankrupt nation.

What hope is there though when a lot of the poorest areas in the country where images like this have been rife since 2010 doubled down and voted Tory? When people like Dennis Skinner are losing their seats to Tories you know you're pissing into the wind.

Loads of them seemed to have given up and just decided to vote for them. Mainly because Labour seem so useless. Also no one in these places wanted to vote for Corbyn who was deemed more dangerous to the country than Boris Johnson. All the other places seem to think the Tories will look after them if they give them their votes.

They then seem surprised when it doesnt happen, like that fella in the Midlands whose house was flooded, no help came but he went on sky news asking Boris Johnson to meet him for a pint.

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I reckon a lot of people who're moaning about how easy it is to feed your kids 

Ah yes, those state handouts. Begrudge someone an extra £20 a week on their universal credit,  but not a 10 million PPE contract given to a sandwich shop owned by Michael Portillo's niece. 

A lot of these DM cunts will soon find themselves in similar situations anyway, the coming recession won't discriminate on class. 

Wonder if all these cunts who've been going on about scousers for years signing on will suddenly know what it feels like to have no money and possibly have to move away to find work?

• Upvote 1