You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Poverty in the UK

Bjornebye

46 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I'm reserving judgement on this one until more information becomes available. 

One conclusion that I'm happy to reach is to say that that is a dull, unimaginative, stingy parcel to give to kids for their lunches. It's shockingly bad and £30 of vouchers would be a much better idea. 

But, the implication/claim that it's cost the public purse £30 for each of the parcels needs further investigation/clarification. People seem to be jumping to the conclusion that these replacement parcels have been sourced for £30 just because the scheme they replaced was for £30 of vouchers. The new scheme might have just been to provide affordable lunches for schoolchildren, not to necessarily provide £30 worth of food for children. I don't know this for sure and it may be the case that it was meant to be a £30 voucher for £30 worth of food voucher. 

But, (I'm probably being naive here) surely no cheeky fucker would have the audacity to try and pass that parcel off as consisting of £30 of food? 

Food parcels should:

• contain food items rather than pre-prepared meals due to food safety considerations
  • minimise the fridge and freezer space that schools and families will need to store foods
  • contain items which parents can use to prepare healthy lunches for their child/children across the week
  • not rely on parents having additional ingredients at home to prepare meals
  • not contain items restricted under the school food standards
  • cater for pupils who require special diets, for example, allergies, vegetarians or religious diets - schools should ensure there are systems in place to avoid cross-contamination
  • contain appropriate packaging sizes for household use, rather than wholesale sizes

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What? Where ???? The fucking bum fluff tea-cosy I hate him 

Check his Twitter. In amongst what he says he writes, “Schools may well then be doing a sub-optimal job of using that money to purchase parcels of food for families”.

It is a disgrace.

If they are that worried that a very small percentage of parents might be spending the money on things other than food, I can assure them that even if that were true, they would certainly be spending more than £5 on food. 

I've always thought that a half decent compromise was an online portal to one of the supermarkets, or maybe the main supermarkets get together and provide food to one central charitable hub funded by the government. The parents then can go online and order the £30 of food to be delivered for free. 

This removes any accusations that the money is not being spent on food. You can have the website offer recipes and ideas for meals. It would cater for various needs and allergies and avoid junk food. 

You can offer if required a printed order form, for anyone that has no access to the internet. I am sure there are plenty of ways of doing this, we haven't always had the internet and managed then. 

There always seems to be an angle with most politicians doesn't there, how can their mates make a load of cash from something so that they might get some kind of kickback or benefit too. 

Profiteering off hungry children. Genuinely, how low can this Tory scum go?

I thought they were already scraping the barrel but it looks like I was wrong. However, everyone knew what this brand of Tory politician was about when voting for them, those who did are complicit in this abuse of children and poor families.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

Profiteering off hungry children. Genuinely, how low can this Tory scum go?

I thought they were already scraping the barrel but it looks like I was wrong. However, everyone knew what this brand of Tory politician was about when voting for them, those who did are complicit in this abuse of children and poor families.

Whenever I think nothing could possibly surprise me about this regime they always, ALWAYS outdo themselves

It's just a rotten culture. Whether it's a credit crisis, pandemic or economic and social fallout someone will make money from it and they'll be enabled to. There'll be countless people licking their lips at the thought of all the repossessed homes and businesses about to flood the market too. A spiritually and morally bankrupt nation.

What hope is there though when a lot of the poorest areas in the country where images like this have been rife since 2010 doubled down and voted Tory? When people like Dennis Skinner are losing their seats to Tories you know you're pissing into the wind.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rushies tash said:

It was just on the bbc in fairness.

Trouble is, you just know that instead of being outraged by this, a sizeable chuck of this country will be sat there thinking "what more do you want for free? Fucking scroungers".

That’s something at least. Nothing on the website. 

oh yeah course there will be. Cunts 

14 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

It was just on the bbc in fairness.

Trouble is, you just know that instead of being outraged by this, a sizeable chuck of this country will be sat there thinking "what more do you want for free? Fucking scroungers".

Maybe if we had a media that said yknow many people will think what more do you want for free but this isn't free its £30 of tax payers money so the question is what did this company do with the other £25 quid and we will see exactly who the scroungers are and who legitimises them for their own ends. The cronyism in this government is beyond unethical its theft, they're stealing the countries wealth and then telling us we cant afford basic standards, we cant afford dignity. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

It's just a rotten culture. Whether it's a credit crisis, pandemic or economic and social fallout someone will make money from it and they'll be enabled to. There'll be countless people licking their lips at the thought of all the repossessed homes and businesses about to flood the market too. A spiritually and morally bankrupt nation.

What hope is there though when a lot of the poorest areas in the country where images like this have been rife since 2010 doubled down and voted Tory? When people like Dennis Skinner are losing their seats to Tories you know you're pissing into the wind.

Nail on head.

I watch a lot of Sky News and their reports on poverty have really been an eye opener. Absolutey sickening to watch. 

Things were grim before this cunt of a pandemic. Said this previously in a rant on the Covid thread is that I've read countless stories of suicides by mainly single mums because they can't put food in their kids mouths. 

In terms of the profitering this was the same back in April last year with the food parcels for the vulnerable. There were plenty of Twitter threads on it,

Poverty is not just a UK issue as the US is as bad if not worse, which is unfuckingivable given the wealth of both. 

Watching that Ripper documentary and I was a bit taken aback by the in your face poverty, it did remind me of being in Kensington as a kid in the 80s. Undoubtedly there is poverty as bad today as ever and for a lot of people but I'd say far more people have been elevated above that level. The trajectory should be one of even more people leaving such poverty behind but it feels thats stalling and we are going backwards and the tories and many others seem eager for it. Once you've rinsed all you can theres only the pockets or labour of the poorest left to exploit.