You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rest of The World Bands - Round 2 - The Band vs ABBA

Bjornebye

Rest of The World Bands - Round 2 - The Band vs ABBA  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Rest of The World Bands - Round 2 - The Band vs ABBA

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/01/21 at 10:47

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

How in the fuck are the Band winning this? 

Because the GF has more than its fair share of musical snobs, with a few that appear to be tone deaf as well. It’s possible a couple could also be stark raving bonkers. 

No issue with The Band, their output and influence is there for all to see. They’re not ‘greater’ than ABBA though, they’re just not. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Because the GF has more than its fair share of musical snobs, with a few that appear to be tone deaf as well. It’s possible a couple could also be stark raving bonkers. 

No issue with The Band, their output and influence is there for all to see. They’re not ‘greater’ than ABBA though, they’re just not. 

It really has brought out the worst of the GF these tournaments. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I have never met a male of the species who has taken an ABBA record out of the sleeve and played it by choice.

Wedding music.

Stig probably puts on Dancing Queen when he is a little down and glides gracefully around the room. Then he has a little cry and is ready to go on with the day.

20 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I have never met a male of the species who has taken an ABBA record out of the sleeve and played it by choice.

Wedding music.

They use it at gay pride events too now.

Regardless, The Band should be close to winning the tournament in my opinion. An amazing group of musicians...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Wedding music.

This.

I used to dj in the early 80s and the amount of women coming up and asking for ABBA meant you had to play them.

Guaranteed floor fillers though.

Their popularity will never be in question, my missus loves them, but would I play them for myself?, no.

You can acknowledge something for what it is, it doesn't mean you have to like it.

They're just there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

The Band. Can't stick ABBA. Apart from SOS which is a masterpiece.

The only one I actually like, its really good 

Can't knock ABBA as they made good pop records but that's about it as someone said imagine going round to someone's house and he pulled out an ABBA album to stick on, alarms bells. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It really has brought out the worst of the GF these tournaments. 

I think you should be happy with the decision to not include The Beatles.

Going by some of these arguments they would probably get knocked out in the quarters by The Smiths or The Fall.

• Upvote 1