You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa 1 Liverpool 4 (Jan 8 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

I don’t even know what to take from this. Other than progress to the next round, nothing positive, that’s for sure. It wasn't an enjoyable watch.

At half time I just felt embarrassed. It’s one thing being held by West Brom or Newcastle, but this was quite literally a fucking youth team we were up against. As BT informed us at least a dozen times during the broadcast, half their side were dropped off by their parents because they were too young to drive. And we went in at the break 1-1. Jesus.

The second half was much more like what it should have been from the start and the result was comfortable enough in the end but it did absolutely nothing to make me feel any more encouraged about how we’re playing at the moment. In fact, it did the opposite. If you're not worried, you're not watching.

Klopp picked a strong team and for me that was the right thing to do. We’re usually garbage when we have too much time between games so it made sense to play most of the regulars in this one. Of course there’s the risk of injury and initially I wasn’t thrilled about Fabinho being out there as he’s now become the most important player at the club. We are completely fucked if anything happens to him.

On reflection though, picking him - or any of the other senior players - wasn’t a risk. This wasn’t like starting Salah, Jota and others in a dead rubber CL game sandwiched in between league games. The circumstances are completely different. Resting players for this would have done more harm than good, especially when it became clear that Villa had no players available and would be fielding a load of untested teenagers.

Klopp said after the Southampton game that there were a lot of things we needed to work on in attacking areas and that he wanted to do a lot of 11v11 in training in the build up to the United game. So, a game against Villa’s kids was going to be much less taxing for our senior side than a game against our own second string.

Pre-Covid, in a week like this we’d have invited a local lower league side over to Melwood (or new Melwood now) for a behind closed friendly. And all the senior lads would have played. This was no different. In fact, it was a much easier game because WE WERE PLAYING A LOAD OF KIDS!! Not even Villa’s best kids, as some of those were unavailable because they either train with the first team or they were in contact with ones who did and therefore had to isolate.

This is just a teaser, view the full report here

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Good report Dave. Id also say our players were dignified when they scored unlike the Villa first team who played our U23s just over a year ago. They celebrated each goal like they'd won the fucking Premier League not playing a bunch of kids.

I see that shithead cascarino is saying he's disgusted at Jurgen for putting that side out against the Villa kids and put our U23s out instead!

Our finishing is very, very poor. I cannot fathom whether its lack of concentration, bad luck, poor form or what. Sadio, Mo and Bobby need to buck their ideas up. Im getting mightily pissed off seeing backheels in a crowded oppos box and us trying to walk the ball into the net. We dont take enough shots. When we do they're always at a nice height for the keeper, straight into an oppo defenderor miles fucking high or wide. Sort it out for fuck's sake.

• Upvote 1

The first half was indeed an utter embarrassment. And typified in depressing familiarity exactly what we've been like for a long time:

Ponderous passing across the back.

Some passes in the midfield.

An interception or misplaced pass giving them the ball.

Either we regain possession, or scamper back like terrified rabbits.

Give away a (non-)foul in our own territory.

Concede a corner/goal. 

Rinse and repeat. 

I simply do not know how some of that is not on Jurgen. How is someone not sitting the players down and going "what the actual fuck"? 

I'm afraid to say I was almost pleased Hendo was taken off. He wouldn't have been my choice to be subbed at half time, but he's certainly as guilty as anyone of telegraphing passes. Later in the first half he'd had a decent opportunity to score had he hit the ball first time, but he predictably opted to take a touch and the chance was gone. Instead the defender who got the ball just in time looked like a hero. 

I was sad to see Minnie subbed. If he'd had the opportunities that the wonderful Thiago presented, he'd deffo have been on the scoresheet. But instead he suffered 60 minutes of zero service and had no chance to show anything of substance. That's not on him. 

But our defence. Jesus. They knock it about from side-to-side, an opposition player comes within 20 metres and they just pass sideways, and worse, often behind the receiving player. It's shockingly bad at times. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, grazywalker said:

Minamino always seems to be running to take a throw in. 

He's good around the box or in it but most of the time he's deep in midfield running around like a headless chicken. 

I wouldn't have gone easy on the kids, fuck them they're playing a man's game and the experience will do them good. Even if we played the villa women's side I'd want them smashed too. We need some balls in the side now. Like Robbo on roids. 

• Upvote 2

People we’re asking recently why we hadn’t seen Taki more since the palace match. He was dreadful last night (not on his own) I always think it’s more important for the fringe players to really step up and show what they can do in games like this. 

29 minutes ago, Mark M said:

People we’re asking recently why we hadn’t seen Taki more since the palace match. He was dreadful last night (not on his own) I always think it’s more important for the fringe players to really step up and show what they can do in games like this. 

To be fair to Taki, it's hard to be the stand out diamond shining in a goat's arse when the rest of the players around him arent exactly pulling up trees.

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Good report Dave. Id also say our players were dignified when they scored unlike the Villa first team who played our U23s just over a year ago. They celebrated each goal like they'd won the fucking Premier League not playing a bunch of kids.

I see that shithead cascarino is saying he's disgusted at Jurgen for putting that side out against the Villa kids and put our U23s out instead!

Our finishing is very, very poor. I cannot fathom whether its lack of concentration, bad luck, poor form or what. Sadio, Mo and Bobby need to buck their ideas up. Im getting mightily pissed off seeing backheels in a crowded oppos box and us trying to walk the ball into the net. We dont take enough shots. When we do they're always at a nice height for the keeper, straight into an oppo defenderor miles fucking high or wide. Sort it out for fuck's sake.

I saw that what that yard dog Cascarino said, apparently “we were disrespecting the cup”...I don’t thing a side has ever disrespected the cup over the years more times then we have 

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Stupid backheels get on my nerves too, Mo and Bobby got to stop that, we always end up loosing the ball.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Whelan5 said:

A lot of short memory, childish, self entitled shite on here. Calm the fuck down people.

Oh. My. God. 

I can't believe what a short memory I have. Why do I always talk such childish, self-entitled shite? I think I need to calm the fuck down. 

That you SO MUCH for pointing this out. You've been a real help. 

15 hours ago, Stickman said:

I saw that what that yard dog Cascarino said, apparently “we were disrespecting the cup”...I don’t thing a side has ever disrespected the cup over the years more times then we have 

Wish they'd fucking make up their minds: play a weakened team  - "LFC disrespecting the FA Cup traditions!"; put out a strong line-up - "LFC are a disgrace, they should have played their U23s".  Utter gobshites.

• Upvote 1

What should Williams have been doing here that he didn't do? Genuine question, because to me it just seems like he was done for pace, which although worrying in itself isn't really something he can be blamed for. What would Matip have done in this situation? You never see him beaten like that, but why?

What would Matip do differently? Someone enlighten me. 

First of all it’s good play by Villa, so credit to them. I think Williams makes one or two mistakes in this situation. When he is running alongside Barry he tries to outrun a faster opponent to get to the ball first when he should have used his superior physique to shrug Barry off or at least block him from getting across, and then take control of the ball. Instead he lets Barry run around him. 

Perhaps is he also too far away from Fabinho when the ball is played (or Fabinho is too far away from Williams - anyway, the distance between them is too great). If Williams had been closer to Fabinho he could have intercepted that pass easily. The space on the outside was well covered by Neco so Rhys should have covered the inside better by being closer to Fabinho. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Erik T said:

First of all it’s good play by Villa, so credit to them. I think Williams makes one or two mistakes in this situation. When he is running alongside Barry he tries to outrun a faster opponent to get to the ball first when he should have used his superior physique to shrug Barry off or at least block him from getting across, and then take control of the ball. Instead he lets Barry run around him. 

Perhaps is he also too far away from Fabinho when the ball is played (or Fabinho is too far away from Williams - anyway, the distance between them is too great). If Williams had been closer to Fabinho he could have intercepted that pass easily. The space on the outside was well covered by Neco so Rhys should have covered the inside better by being closer to Fabinho. 

Yeah, needs to be using his body better there. 

Fabinho seems a bit too far away to me, as play was developing on Williams' side of the field. With the high line we're playing (and seriously slow CBs), I'd even question if Kelleher shouldn't be in the vicinity...

As it is, we cannot really lose the football in midfield, and it seems to have crept into the minds of our midfielders, as they are playing even it even safer than usual against the "low block". Look at the difference when Thiago comes on and commits the defenders compared to the awkwardness Henderson and Wijnaldum (or Jones last time out) showed.

On 09/01/2021 at 18:32, sir roger said:

Oh and harking back to a subject from last week, how the fuck did we only receive 2 free kicks and give away 7 free kicks in a game where we had 83% possession against a team in fairly desperate defense mode. A free kick every 45 mins !!!

I know, i thought the ref was one of the players Dad's standing in.

• dave u unpinned this topic