You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What is your favourite movie involving Quentin Tarantino?

What is your favourite movie involving Quentin Tarantino? (A couple of surprise inclusions...)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite movie involving Quentin Tarantino?

• Reservoir Dogs (1992) (Director/Writer)
    • True Romance (1993) (Writer)
    • Pulp Fiction (1994) (Director/Writer)
    • Natural Born Killers (1994) (Story Writer)
    • Killing Zoe (1994) (Executive Producer)
    • Crimson Tide (1995) (Uncredited Writer)
    • Four Rooms (1995) (Writer/Producer)
    • From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) (Writer/Producer)
    • The Rock (1996) (Executive Producer)
    • Jackie Brown (1997) (Director/Writer)
    • Kill Bill: Vol 1 (2003) (Director/Writer)
    • Kill Bill: Vol 2 (2004) (Director/Writer)
    • Hostel (2005) (Executive Producer)
    • Sin City (2005) (Co-Director)
    • Grindhouse: Death Proof (2007) (Director/Writer/Producer)
    • Grindhouse: Planet Terror (2007) (Producer)
    • Inglorious Basterds (2009) (Director/Writer)
    • Django Unchained (2012) (Director/Writer)
    • The Hateful Eight (2015) (Director/Writer)
    • Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019) (Director/Writer/Producer)

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

I've come to really resist Tarantino films. Usually for people who think they know a lot about cinema but think that Pulp Fiction is the pinnacle of Hollywood, or men who think films have to be sweary and violent to be grown-up.

The man needs an editor so I'd probably say Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown or Pulp Fiction. I deeply distrust people who think the Kill Bill films are good.

I deeply distrust people who don’t think Kill Bill Vol. 1 is very entertaining. So back at yer!

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

I deeply distrust people who don’t think Kill Bill Vol. 1 is very entertaining. So back at yer!

It's style over substance with his usual trick of stealing other people's ideas. I also find Uma Thurman very uninspiring in the role.

I like that you only mention the first part because you know part 2 is poor, which would be fine but they were made as one movie and he, once again, couldn't edit shit.

• Upvote 3

The older films on his list I haven't watched in years. Inglorious Basterds I've only seen once so that should get another viewing. Jackie Brown has some great scenes but I think I liked the movie mainly for the music.

Jackie Brown was like the end of his development as a film maker, in purely craft terms. It was taut, well edited and paced to perfection. It obviously helped that the source material was solid to begin with, but you can see progression in each of his first three films. Then he disappeared up his own hoop. His cameo in Django still haunts me.

The Hateful Eight was fun though, simple camp pulpy absurdism.

There's been loads of talk over the years about a Kill Bill 3. Fuck that shit with Herpes.

I would have loved to have seen a movie with the related cousins/brothers from Reservoir Dogs (Michael Madsden/Pulp Fiction (John Travolta). Both their surnames were Vega and that was definitely deliberate.

4 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

There's been loads of talk over the years about a Kill Bill 3. Fuck that shit with Herpes.

I would have loved to have seen a movie with the related cousins/brothers from Reservoir Dogs (Michael Madsden/Pulp Fiction (John Travolta). Both their surnames were Vega and that was definitely deliberate.

Michael Madsen turned down the role of Vincent thank fuck 

3 hours ago, RedKnight said:

I've come to really resist Tarantino films. Usually for people who think they know a lot about cinema but think that Pulp Fiction is the pinnacle of Hollywood, or men who think films have to be sweary and violent to be grown-up.

The man needs an editor so I'd probably say Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown or Pulp Fiction. I deeply distrust people who think the Kill Bill films are good.

I'd never watched one until I met my mrs. She loves the Tarantino films, her top 3 is Pulp Fiction and the two Kill Bill films. 

My own view was that they were good, but I wasn't blown away by them, particularly the Kill Bill films.  I've still not watched all of them. From what I have seen so far inglourious basterds is my favourite. 

5 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Tarantino seems to be obsessed with details, Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece but I wonder if a couple of mistakes were intentional. In the introductory scene when Bonnie stands on the table she says...

"If any of you fucking pricks move, I'll execute every mother-fucking one of you!"

In the same scene when Vincent and Jules are in the cafe, Bonnie stands on the table and says...

"If any of you fucking pricks move, I'll execute every one of you motherfuckers."

That irks me beyond all reason. 

Otherwise, it is a great film.

8 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Tarantino seems to be obsessed with details, Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece but I wonder if a couple of mistakes were intentional. In the introductory scene when Bonnie stands on the table she says...

"If any of you fucking pricks move, I'll execute every mother-fucking one of you!"

In the same scene when Vincent and Jules are in the cafe, Bonnie stands on the table and says...

"If any of you fucking pricks move, I'll execute every one of you motherfuckers."

Its Honey Bunny, and it's to do with perspective.

https://screenrant.com/pulp-fiction-movie-honey-bunny-different-lines-explained/

9 hours ago, RedKnight said:

It's style over substance with his usual trick of stealing other people's ideas. I also find Uma Thurman very uninspiring in the role.

I like that you only mention the first part because you know part 2 is poor, which would be fine but they were made as one movie and he, once again, couldn't edit shit.

The Kill Bill films would have been good if the whole thing had been two hours. Plenty of action, big nod to old Hong Kong Kung fu movies, and a touch of the Tarantino sadism. Could have been great fun.

Lucy Liu for example, is absolutely spectacular in it, but her section and the whole Crazy 88 fight goes on for so fucking long that it becomes boring. It really is an example of terrible directing.

I’ve only watched Inglorious Basterds after that, and that was the same. Great stuff by Christoph Waltz, but some of the scenes are interminable. Haven’t bothered with anything since, so maybe I am missing out.

Loved Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown though. And True Romance.

9 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Yeah. No arguments on his editing. To be honest, I think he’s only directed one truly great film, which is Pulp Fiction. The stolen ideas thing doesn’t bother me at all and I can usually cope with the flaws because the great moments nearly all his films have are right up there.

However, the best way to sum up my view of Tarantino now is that I only saw his latest one when it came to TV; I just couldn’t be arsed prior to that. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

He talked a lot about a Vega brothers film. But it was just that: talk. 

13 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

It's "Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every mother-fucking last one of you!" in the opening scene.