Quantcast
Giving up the booze - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Colonel Kurtz

Giving up the booze

I learnt over Christmas that a relative had died of alcohol related dementia on his own in a nursing home on Christmas Eve. He was 57 but had been drinking every day for 30 years. I used to knock around with him a bit in the 90s but hadn’t seen him for years. Still a nasty shock and this has been the catalyst for me to knock the daily drinking on the head. Me and the missus had slipped into a 2 bottle of wine habit without really noticing. Day 6 and it’s going well, no wine, no beer etc and I feel much better. Posting on here helps. 

• Upvote 7

Piece of piss. I was getting booze delivered during the first lockdown but then Bob the Builder turned up and the garage whch I used as a staging post for the bevvies was taken over by a mountain of tools so decided to pack it in for a while. That ran into MacMillans Sober for October thingy so continued with that. Fucked off Christmas and New Year anyway so haven't had a drop since mid September.

Sleeping better, head much clearer, getting loads more done and lost some weight. Should have lost more but another vice kicked in, fucking chocolate.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I learnt over Christmas that a relative had died of alcohol related dementia on his own in a nursing home on Christmas Eve. He was 57 but had been drinking every day for 30 years. I used to knock around with him a bit in the 90s but hadn’t seen him for years. Still a nasty shock and this has been the catalyst for me to knock the daily drinking on the head. Me and the missus had slipped into a 2 bottle of wine habit without really noticing. Day 6 and it’s going well, no wine, no beer etc and I feel much better. Posting on here helps. 

Keep it up but set short term goals and be realistic. 

My brother is 46 and has alcohol related dementia, along with many other issues. He went from having a really top job in his 30’s to living in a hostel and going from one crisis to another by his early 40’s. He spent three weeks in a coma a few years ago, it wasn’t pretty. 

Although my father was a doctor and a much better man than me, he was also a functioning alcoholic and also had problems throughout the last twenty years of his life. 

Drinking is in my genes. All I can say is I do my best. Sometimes that’s enough, often it really isn’t. 

Two bottles of wine a day is not a great habit though so probably worth the steps you’re taking to cut down. 

Good luck and keep sharing. 

• Upvote 1

I'm doing dry January myself.

Can be very easy to get into the habit of drinking every night, even if it's just the odd bottle of lager.

Christmas doesn't help as it's pretty much a free pass.

3 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Sleeping better, head much clearer, getting loads more done and lost some weight. Should have lost more but another vice kicked in, fucking chocolate.

Same. Eating rings around myself. I've substituted the beer and wine for Lilt and Fanta Lemon. Probably worse for me long term. 

17 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Well done mate. There is a bad drinking culture in this country to the point where people look at you a bit differently if you tell them you don’t drink often.

I see the affect it has on friends and family and it’s just very sad.

I like a drink myself but can go weeks without one. I don’t crave one all the time thankfully; can imagine it must be really hard for people who do crave it.

I went 9 weeks without touching a drop last year and felt brilliant for it to be honest.

Keep going mate, great start.

• Upvote 1

I usually go the pub everyday, don't drink at home, though i do like a pint,I like to get and about as well. I had no problem at the start of first lockdown going without for 9 weeks then 4 weeks a few months ago and now on my 3rd week without. 

I miss the pub though so hopefully I've learnt not to go everyday I'll know when I have the option. 

I've seen plenty of drink related problems over the years, I've pancreaitis myself, so I may have done myself a favour. 

I think most countries have a drinking culture and always will have. Moderation is the way as I don't think or want to give it up entirely. 

Good work. 

I couldn't drink every day to be honest, I like a beer and a bourbon now and then but usually one or two at the weekend. I don't really enjoy it enough to do more often, could never do daytime drinking, I've seen people on holiday having wine with their breakfast, astonishing stuff.

5 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Well done mate. There is a bad drinking culture in this country to the point where people look at you a bit differently if you tell them you don’t drink often.

I see the affect it has on friends and family and it’s just very sad.

I like a drink myself but can go weeks without one. I don’t crave one all the time thankfully; can imagine it must be really hard for people who do crave it.

I went 9 weeks without touching a drop last year and felt brilliant for it to be honest.

Keep going mate, great start.

I echo this. I'm the same, only ever really drink socially, so have hardly touched a drop since March! I think I only drank alcohol on 7 occasions last year which is the easily the least since I started drinking. My skin is considerably better for it, haven't noticed any other major differences though.

I probably drink more than most on here, I also probably exercise more and have a diet which is as healthy as the best eaters on here. It’s all about balance.

I love alcohol and enjoy it, but am hyper aware that others can’t have this, so I get it that the enjoyment disappears and that’s an issue. I only drink fri-sun though and rarely break from that.

Dry January can fuck off though, the most depressing month of the year and you choose to limit your enjoyment, fuck that, I drink double.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

How long are you planning on doing it for, or are you just taking it day by day?

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Good work. 

I couldn't drink every day to be honest, I like a beer and a bourbon now and then but usually one or two at the weekend. I don't really enjoy it enough to do more often, could never do daytime drinking, I've seen people on holiday having wine with their breakfast, astonishing stuff.

I used to be a total pisshead but having kids has killed it stone dead. I have 6 or 7 cans on a Saturday night now, sometimes going two or three weeks without.

Being woken up with a hangover at 7am in the morning by a pair of Tasmanian devils just is not worth it.

If I had no kids, no job & a load of money I would probably drink myself to death within a couple of years.

• Upvote 3

Don't listen to the social drinkers telling you it is a piece of piss.

If you truly have a drink problem it is a motherfucker and you will need support to kick it.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

How long are you planning on doing it for, or are you just taking it day by day?

Aiming to get to my birthday at Easter without a drink. My old man destroyed his life through drinking so I’m aware of how destructive it can be. This relative dying of alcohol induced dementia at roughly my age has really bought it home. 

Slipped right back into drinking too much towards the back of last year after my mum died. Not blaming that as I wasn't;t on my knees overnight crying abut it. I probably subconsciously used it as an excuse. Decided over xmas that last weeks Old Firm would be the last drunk for as long as I can go. I intend to make my Birthday at least (mid-feb) without one. Gone 6 days as well and feel a bit better. Sleep has been up the wall, I keep waking up about 2/3am and cant get back asleep until about half 5 then up for work with sore eyes at half 7. 

Agreed on the eating thing though, fuck me I cant keep out the kitchen. 

I haven't once craved a drink this week though. Thats weird because I'd class myself as a regular drinker and I (for years) can very rarely just have a couple. if I have one I'm having a skin-full. 

So far so good. Not ever gonna preach about it though because I fucking love a good drink. Drinking is great if you can use it properly. 

Good luck all wether its going sober for a bit or getting cunted. 

I probably do at least two months of zero booze every year.  The problem is you feel that ace at the end of the month going to the pub for a day feels great.  

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

I usually go the pub everyday, don't drink at home, though i do like a pint,I like to get and about as well. I had no problem at the start of first lockdown going without for 9 weeks then 4 weeks a few months ago and now on my 3rd week without. 

I miss the pub though so hopefully I've learnt not to go everyday I'll know when I have the option. 

I've seen plenty of drink related problems over the years, I've pancreaitis myself, so I may have done myself a favour. 

I think most countries have a drinking culture and always will have. Moderation is the way as I don't think or want to give it up entirely. 

If there are any pubs still able to trade after all this, they will deserve all the customers they receive as they will have almost certainly been doing things that people need in place of their day to day business. One of the local pubs near me looks awful but it was always jam packed and doing well. I walked past it the other day and it looks like it won't be opening again. I fucking hope not, anyway.

I am a big drinker, it's easy to say it's a family thing but I believe it is, you absorb what you're brought up around and that for me was a large extended family and loads of parties and gatherings growing up, having alcohol at an early age was almost a rite of passage. I lost my mum a few years back through alcohol related illness and it has made me more conscious of my drinking, whilst I have always kept myself active and ate relativley well but as I'm in early 40's I'm thinking it's time to grow up and get control of it before I end up like my mum.

Last year I started well, went through January into April without a drink including my birthday in February, which was unheard of, I usually fall of the wagon for my birthday, I felt great, the  weight fell off, I was sleeping better and running 10k every other day, and generally felt happier, all was well. Then lockdown came and it started creeping back and becoming a regular thing again, not massive amounts, but most days I'd have at least a couple of cans or a gin and tonic. I hit it heavy over the Christmas period but had already decided that come January 1st I was knocking it on the head again. 

One week in and again I feel better already, I'm hoping to keep going as long as possible, I don't think I will ever completely abstain as I do like it too much but I want to get to the stage in which I can have a drink every now and then and not have it as a catalyst for getting back in old habits.

Good idea to keep updates going in this thread, good luck everyone!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

One week in and again I feel better already, I'm hoping to keep going as long as possible, I don't think I will ever completely abstain as I do like it too much but I want to get to the stage in which I can have a drink every now and then and not have it as a catalyst for getting back in old habits.

Good idea to keep updates going in this thread, good luck everyone!

This 110% mate. Good luck 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

How bad was it? My dad had korsakoffs (he ended up in a care home) it effected his short term memory and ability to retain memories. However intellectually it didn't effect him he could still complete a crossword. It was mad because we'd go out shopping with him and people he knew really couldn't see anything wrong with him and wondered why he was in a care home. But 24 hours later he wouldn't even remember seeing them.

I love a drink but luckily I get awful hangovers which limits me to once a week at most

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

If there are any pubs still able to trade after all this, they will deserve all the customers they receive as they will have almost certainly been doing things that people need in place of their day to day business. One of the local pubs near me looks awful but it was always jam packed and doing well. I walked past it the other day and it looks like it won't be opening again. I fucking hope not, anyway.

I can see a few pubs folding sadly, they're part of everyday life but they've been suffering for years apart from this shit. 

A local pub is great and I miss my one as well as the option of a walk around others especially when I'm home. 

It'll just be cafe weirdoes in the future and all that bollocks like coffee shops. 

Love the pub me and I'll certainly be giving them my custom for as long as I can though slightly less so. 

Shit times and I know it's an oft heard expression but yesteryear was certainly much better than today's situation, covid or no covid.