Quantcast
Giving up the booze - Page 2 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Colonel Kurtz

Giving up the booze

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

I am a big drinker, it's easy to say it's a family thing but I believe it is, you absorb what you're brought up around and that for me was a large extended family and loads of parties and gatherings growing up, having alcohol at an early age was almost a rite of passage. I lost my mum a few years back through alcohol related illness and it has made me more conscious of my drinking, whilst I have always kept myself active and ate relativley well but as I'm in early 40's I'm thinking it's time to grow up and get control of it before I end up like my mum.

Last year I started well, went through January into April without a drink including my birthday in February, which was unheard of, I usually fall of the wagon for my birthday, I felt great, the  weight fell off, I was sleeping better and running 10k every other day, and generally felt happier, all was well. Then lockdown came and it started creeping back and becoming a regular thing again, not massive amounts, but most days I'd have at least a couple of cans or a gin and tonic. I hit it heavy over the Christmas period but had already decided that come January 1st I was knocking it on the head again. 

One week in and again I feel better already, I'm hoping to keep going as long as possible, I don't think I will ever completely abstain as I do like it too much but I want to get to the stage in which I can have a drink every now and then and not have it as a catalyst for getting back in old habits.

Good idea to keep updates going in this thread, good luck everyone!

Keep going. It’s harder the longer you leave it on life but the benefits of stopping for a bit are huge. Unfortunately we live in a culture where drinking is part of social life, every social event like a wedding, a new birth or a funeral is an excuse to get pissed.  We also celebrate drunks like Dudley Moore and George best even though they were killing themselves in front of our very eyes. But anyway, good on you and keep us updated.

• Upvote 1

1st lockdown and beyond it got outta hand. Drinking everyday pretty much, hardly ever pissed but strong craft ales too often.

This carried on till 2nd lockdown when I went dry for 28 days. Felt fantastic. Slept better, lost weight, loads of energy etc 

Had a few beers soon after and was quickly back drinking a few strong ales per day 5/6 days a week.

Had a moderate Christmas and have downloaded a tracking app.

Since Boxing Day I’ve had 11/12 drink free days. I’m aiming for 6 drink free days a week till summer. 

then when I’ve had a vaccine al bets are off.

• Upvote 4

I think one of the problems in the U.K. is that booze is seen as a legitimate way to relax. Rough day at work - have a glass of wine when you get home. 
Kids playing up - have beer when they’ve gone to bed

Done something good - have drink to celebrate 

Done something bad - have a drink to commiserate

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think one of the problems in the U.K. is that booze is seen as a legitimate way to relax. Rough day at work - have a glass of wine when you get home. 

Revenge Neg off Strontz? 2 fingers

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

We really are an island of drunkards and it’s bound up in who we are as people, like you say.

I remember when the 24 hour licensing was being debated and one of the argument was ‘this will bring about a European style cafe culture’. Oh, how I laughed.  Not a fucking chance. We drink to get drunk, like the Irish drink to get sad, it’s part of who we are. 

Having spent time with Europeans in their natural habitats I can honestly say they’re just like us with their intake, or maybe it’s just the clowns I knocked about with, but at the point of drunkenness they go home to fuck, ‘we’ go looking for a fight. 

• Upvote 1

As others have said, the various lockdowns have helped me.

I’m a social drinker if I’m being kind to myself, the very worst kind of binge drinker when I’m not. I very rarely drink at home, partly because the wife is a rubbish drinking partner, but mainly because a couple of whatever is never enough. I either abstain completely or get smashed, definitely no half measures. Pretty pathetic for a forty eight year old, father of two, with a family history of drink problems but there you go. 

Last year I didn’t touch a drop for eight weeks during the first lockdown, then another six before Christmas. I haven’t had a drink today so that’ll be at least two more weeks as I won’t even want one until next weekend now. 

I kid myself that because I can stop drinking for lengthy periods, I don’t have issues with alcohol. It’s always been a mask for my social anxiety, a bridge towards other substances (mainly cocaine in my case, which I never use when not drinking) and an excuse for seeking any kind of flattery from other women. I’m not talking about sexual misdemeanours here but you don’t have to be shagging around to be disloyal and a bit of a cunt. 

Very doubtful I’ll give it up completely, I enjoy it too much, but I have to be careful or accept the consequences if I don’t. Whether my health fails, my marriage fails, or both, I couldn’t really play any kind of victim. 

A very cathartic thread. Good luck to all those wrestling whatever demons they have. No judgement here, I wouldn’t have a leg to stand on. Especially after a skin full...

• Upvote 8

I decided to quit for good in April 2019. Had numerous failed attempts over the years. I was a massive piss head and druggie for most of my adult life. It’s definitely the best thing I’ve ever done. I have to pinch myself sometimes although I am aware I can’t be complacent. Hitting my 40s. Being a father to a little girl. Actually feeling your health deteriorate. All these things transpired to staying stopped this time. In the past 2 years I’ve lost my Dad. The pandemic. We’ve won the league and European Cup. Christmas. Birthdays. Holidays abroad. When I was using and drinking it would’ve been unthinkable to go through any of that without having a bevvy. But somehow I have. My work life has been transformed. Got a promotion last year after years of treading water. My focus now is mainly on my kid and work. My social life is pretty much non existent compared to in my 20s and 30s. That’s ok though. I’m actually content. I’ve got mates who are in their 40s with families and jobs etc that still get smashed at weekends. On the lemo etc. Just looks fucking desperate to me now.

• Upvote 14

11 minutes ago, Soft Joe said:

I decided to quit for good in April 2019. Had numerous failed attempts over the years. I was a massive piss head and druggie for most of my adult life. It’s definitely the best thing I’ve ever done. I have to pinch myself sometimes although I am aware I can’t be complacent. Hitting my 40s. Being a father to a little girl. Actually feeling your health deteriorate. All these things transpired to staying stopped this time. In the past 2 years I’ve lost my Dad. The pandemic. We’ve won the league and European Cup. Christmas. Birthdays. Holidays abroad. When I was using and drinking it would’ve been unthinkable to go through any of that without having a bevvy. But somehow I have. My work life has been transformed. Got a promotion last year after years of treading water. My focus now is mainly on my kid and work. My social life is pretty much non existent compared to in my 20s and 30s. That’s ok though. I’m actually content. I’ve got mates who are in their 40s with families and jobs etc that still get smashed at weekends. On the lemo etc. Just looks fucking desperate to me now.

Brilliant. 

Thing about booze is the way it messes with your perception.

You fancy a few beers,  flashback to all those great boozed up nights you've had. You don't remember the bland or shit nights which is what you normally have or how shite you'll feel in the morning.

Sometimes I'll hear a song that just makes me want a beer through nostalgia.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yeah, pretty much any event, world Cup, Wimbledon, Christmas, hot weather, always seems to have to revolve around booze.

This younger generation don't seem to drink much though, not compared to when I was younger and it's all we did. 

A lot of drinking now seems to be focussed on being at home, middle class women have a bit of a rep for downing  lot of wine these days. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah, pretty much any event, world Cup, Wimbledon, Christmas, hot weather, always seems to have to revolve around booze.

This younger generation don't seem to drink much though, not compared to when I was younger and it's all we did. 

A lot of drinking now seems to be focussed on being at home, middle class women have a bit of a rep for downing  lot of wine these days. 

Middle class drinking at home had become much more prevalent. My dad was an alcoholic but went to the pub every day. Nowdays it’s people at home, often middle class parents. Mrs Kurtz took our youngest on a play date when he was 4 and the other mum offered her a glass of white wine on arrival. It was 11.00 am. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Too busy making Tik Tok videos to care about alcohol.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

Too busy making Tik Tok videos to care about alcohol.

They're all into healthy shit too.

I fucking loved binge drinking culture looking back, I wouldn't take any of those nights back. No Instagram in sight, just beers, spirits, shots, shit music and women of dubious moral fortitude.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I fucking loved binge drinking culture looking back, I wouldn't take any of those nights back. No Instagram in sight, just beers, spirits, shots, shit music and women of dubious moral fortitude.

I remember nights out on the lash when at least half the people in the group didn’t spend the whole night looking at their phone. Those were the days. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah best times if my life. Literally spent the weekend in the pub watching football/rugby league and around town on the nights. Having teenage, super powers of recovery helps on that front though.

• Upvote 3

Went self employed a few years ago and now the kids are none dependent, the Thursday night drive home from work became the trigger event to load up in the bargain booze and get wiped out till Saturday night.

I’m doing one day at a time now. Still wide awake at 3 am and the eatings getting out of control. I’ve been off the smokes for 18 years and I’ve been thinking of going back on them just to stop the food cravings. 

Got a wardrobe full of smart clothes that I’ve never worn that won’t go anywhere near me now. 

Gotta admit, I’m craving a drink now 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Red74 said:

Went self employed a few years ago and now the kids are none dependent, the Thursday night drive home from work became the trigger event to load up in the bargain booze and get wiped out till Saturday night.

I’m doing one day at a time now. Still wide awake at 3 am and the eatings getting out of control. I’ve been off the smokes for 18 years and I’ve been thinking of going back on them just to stop the food cravings. 

Got a wardrobe full of smart clothes that I’ve never worn that won’t go anywhere near me now. 

Gotta admit, I’m craving a drink now 

Stay strong on both fronts. No point having a healthy liver but COPD.

• Upvote 1

I honestly can't remember the last time I had an alcoholic drink.

Presently I'm taking anti coagulant medication for a further couple of weeks and I'm not allowed to drink whilst I'm taking them.

Before that were those few weeks I had in hospital with covid.

Before that were a couple of weeks (at least) were I honestly can't remember having even a pint or a can.

It hasn't been difficult at all tbh.

I've got about 30 bottles of wine in the wine rack, 10 feet from where I'm writing this, 3 and a half bottles of Zubrowka in the freezer, some Jack Daniels, a bottle of rum and about 60 cans of lager and assorted beers.

Come to think about it, I'm fucking gasping for a can right about now!

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Middle class drinking at home had become much more prevalent. My dad was an alcoholic but went to the pub every day. Nowdays it’s people at home, often middle class parents. Mrs Kurtz took our youngest on a play date when he was 4 and the other mum offered her a glass of white wine on arrival. It was 11.00 am. 

Yeah, I know what you mean, I bumped in to a parent from my kids school randomly on a night out, she was a fucking mess.

After a couple of drinks she offered me coke, which by the looks of things she'd had her fair share off at the point. All night she was blathering on about this and that, her ex-husband, more drugs, too much booze, all in all a frustrating and annoying person to be around, with obvious substance issues.

Great fuck though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, I know what you mean, I bumped in to a parent from our my kids school randomly on a night out, she was a fucking mess.

After a couple of drinks she offered me coke, which by the looks of things she'd had her fair share off at the point. All night she was blathering on about this and that, her ex-husband, more drugs, too much booze, all in all a frustrating and annoying person to be around, with obvious substance issues.

Great fuck though.

Ha ha. One of the blokes in my 5 a side team got very pissed on our end of season night out and told me he’d bumped into a fellow dad (who we both knew) from the school at a paid for orgy with hookers. Told me this in absolute confidence so please don’t repeat it. Having met his wife I don’t blame him though. 

Every few years I go without between New Years and Easter, kind of a weird Resolution/Lent type thing. Going for it again, but somehow managed to accrue about five more bottles around Xmas and lockdown also not helping (although no gigs/matches probably will help a bit - although I usually allowed myself a couple on those days as a special occasion).

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, I know what you mean, I bumped in to a parent from my kids school randomly on a night out, she was a fucking mess.

Great fuck though.

Hahaha I was about to ask 

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahaha I was about to ask 

I was only joking, just riffing on the idea.

It was actually out with my wife and a friend of ours when we bumped in to her, she ended up going back to some blokes house and getting fucked every which way before turning up at the school gates in the morning looking 'radiant'.

She was sending us live updates, we had met her three/four times at this point and had no real relationship to speak off, just school gates and the christmas concert.

It was weird as shit.

In another life, fuck yes!