Quantcast
Favourite 'Actual' Bridges - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Favourite 'Actual' Bridges

Been on my mind all night. 

Forth Bridge - Edinburgh. Superb feat of engineering for 1890. I was based for a while in Rosyth and we sailed under this beauty a good few times. 

HMS+Queen+Elizabeth+under+the+Forth+Brid

Humber Bridge - Kingston Upon Hull. Only been over this once. Very very impressive. Best thing in the area by miles. 

HIGH11698_976529.jpg

The Brooklyn Bridge - Brooklyn to Manhattan. Walked over this with a serious hangover. Nearly dragged some fella off his bike and threw him onto the road below. The rudest cycle lane on the planet without a doubt. I didn't. I'm nice like that. 

topic-brooklyn-bridge-gettyimages-916806

• Upvote 5

The view from the Golden gate is pretty spectacular. Sydney Harbour Bridge ain't bad either, you can pay a ridiculous amount to walk the *gets out technical bridge book* Upper bit of it, I sadly didn't have the dollar at the time. Not to mention the beautiful Milton Keynes based iron trunk aquaduct:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1

I do like the Humber Bridge, I used to drive past it every day, although I only went over it a few times. It's also a Viz euphemism for the perineum, as it connects the shitty bit (Hull) to the fishy bit (Grimsby).

This one in India is very cool- http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php%3Ftitle%3DChenab_River_Railway_Bridge

1Chenabbridge.jpg

I don't want to go on any of these-

That Genoa bridge collapsing a few years back was horrifying. How unlucky do you have to have been to have been driving across it at that moment. 

1200px-Genova-panorama_dal_santuario_di_

genoa-bridge-collapse-gty-02-jpo-180814_

While I was at uni, there was a lovely pub that looked out over clifton suspension bridge. I assume it remained after I left too. Runcorn too as its a sign I'm nearly home, where ever I'm coming in on the train from. 

The rest are just bridges. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Veiwer discretion advised, I think it’s quit stunning though.

Edit The Sad Parts - Modest Mouse.

I was not prepared for this, this morning. 

The Golden Gate Bridge

The Forth Bridge 

Brunel Bridge

There's loads, even though there's loads of great modern bridges you can't beat the engineering construction feats of the older ones, considering what tools where available to them in those days. 

A nod to Viaducts and the old Lift Bridge over the cut in Litherland which I used to like watching as kid. 

Oresund Bridge, connecting Malmo and Copenhagen. It's the titular bridge from the TV show, and part of it is an underwater tunnel.

Oresund-Bridge-1.jpg?h=500&ssl=1&zoom=2.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Clifton Suspension Bridge designed by Brunel and completed in 1864 five years after his death

Admire the view from the Clifton suspension bridge in this 360° video

Clifton Suspension Bridge - Wikipedia

Yes  Clifton Suspension Bridge, i meant that when I called it Brunel Bridge. 

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Runcorn Bridge. Amazing architecture and as the photo below shows, the view is breathtaking.

Runcorn-Bridge.jpg

Idyllic, it is good though and so was the scaffolding on it a few years ago. 

Climbed the Sydney harbour bridge in 2005. You come out through a trap door in the middle of the motorway with cars flying past your head.

It's a gradual climb as well so most people can physically do it. The view from the top is unbelievable.

Never been to Bristol but that Clifton Suspension bridge looks immense. 

• Upvote 1