You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite 'Actual' Bridges

Bjornebye

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Golden Gate definitely, I'd love to see it. The Mersey Gateway is pretty impressive to be fair even though it's more expensive than drugs.

It looks great from Spike Island but they are horrible robbing scamming bastards. I fucking hate that bridge. They messed with the internet signal at one end so you cant put the one crossing payment through. Those who forget dont get an email reminding them a week later. Oh no, 6 months later a baylfits letter from Marsden for 125 quid with no option to appeal. Looked into it when we got stung and they've done the same to hundreds (probably thousands) of people. A proper racket and a half and they wont entertain discussions about it. I wanted to bomb Halton council over it. Daylight fucking robbery. 

5 hours ago, RJ Fan club said:

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy

E7F984C5-6626-46A1-B7E5-A9E82B1DA259.jpeg

I'd give anything to walk through it with nobody else on it. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What is it? Wont work for me 

It’s a music video set on the Golden Gate Bridge.

It’s not the easiest of viewing, but I think it’s beautiful in a way, incredibly sad and upsetting though.

Its from a film called ‘The Bridge’ from memory.

Type in the band name and song on YouTube, you can’t miss it. No idea why they’ve started doing this.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It’s not the easiest of viewing, but I think it’s beautiful in a way, incredibly sad and upsetting though.

Type in the band name and song on YouTube, you can’t miss it. No idea why they’ve started doing this.

I can only assume it's about jumpers. 

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yes, and those that don’t.

Its a real insight in to humans. 

My missus was telling me a while back she saw something about survivors of jumps/suicide attempts. A guy does mental health workshops and he has interviews loads of people who lived. He said every single one said that as soon as they left the bridge they immediately changed their mind and "saw the light" if you like. I think 34 survivors only 1 went back and did it again. Very sad. The human brain can be a seriously evil bastard. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd give anything to walk through it with nobody else on it. 

Dial that up to the Vasari Corridor, alone. A 1km private corridor built for the Medici from their Palace on one side of the Arno into the Uffizi.

I've walked the parts in the Uffizi at the end of the day when it was quiet (as quiet as it ever gets)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasari_Corridor

CB0104D1-9DF5-4008-BD2D-BC417FDC1156.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

My missus was telling me a while back she saw something about survivors of jumps/suicide attempts. A guy does mental health workshops and he has interviews loads of people who lived. He said every single one said that as soon as they left the bridge they immediately changed their mind and "saw the light" if you like. I think 34 survivors only 1 went back and did it again. Very sad. The human brain can be a seriously evil bastard. 

Is that the one where a camera is set to film for a year on the bridge? There's people just walking along as usual and then someone just hops over the side out of the blue, mad but who will ever know what goes on in anyones head at the point of departure. 

Plus I wouldn't of thought the view from below any bridge is much cop. 

Just now, easytoslip said:

Is that the one where a camera is set to film for a year on the bridge? There's people just walking along as usual and then someone just hops over the side out of the blue, mad but who will ever know what goes on in anyones head at the point of departure. 

Not sure mate. Bruce posted that youtube video, I assume that must be it? 

3 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Yeah, somebody has edited that down in to a music video.

I obviously don’t ‘like’ it, but I think it has a real beautiful human quality to it and makes you think, a lot! 

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It won't let me watch without verifying my age which seems a work up, I'll try again but it must be that one

Two for me, both in Newcastle. The Tyne Bridge is fucking ace. Used to love driving over it because it is so fucking high above the river.

Second one is the lesser known Redheugh Bridge and the geordies have a fucking weird way of saying it. Sounds more like Red hoe but not quite if ya knarr wat I mean!

Millenium Bridge is also quite cool as you can feel in bounce if a lot of people walk on it.

• Upvote 1

I must have watched that music video about 50 times today. Its a completely odd feeling to watch it and reflect on it, particularly seeing the fella in black. I believe he was largely the subject of the documentary. Tragic to see people go, with some examples of people just standing idly by.

• Upvote 1

Brooklyn Bridge, Golden Gate Bridge, Menai Bridge, and the Coronado Bridge in San Diego are my favourites that I’ve been on. 

Scariest is that little foot bridge out to South Stack lighthouse in Anglesey. 

Would like Ike to try the Confederation Bridge in PEI, Canada- 13km long. 

On 09/01/2021 at 09:57, YorkshireRed said:

Charles Bridge in Prague. A perfectly adequate view of it from close to one of the riverside restaurants along that stretch. 

0C1419FF-C63B-4EA9-BCB0-F6F273DD875B.jpeg

19 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Repped. I love this photograph.

BD049643-25C4-4E14-8F1A-DA96025B2862.jpeg

When I was in my early 20's I was interviewed for a job that would have been in Prague. It's definitely one of those what could have been moments that I look back on it. It was crazy money, free accommodation and with the cost of living in the place I'd have had a lifestyle that I couldn't possibly even dream of having over here.

Beautiful place as well, it still annoys me I didn't get it!

11 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Two for me, both in Newcastle. The Tyne Bridge is fucking ace. Used to love driving over it because it is so fucking high above the river.

Second one is the lesser known Redheugh Bridge and the geordies have a fucking weird way of saying it. Sounds more like Red hoe but not quite if ya knarr wat I mean!

Millenium Bridge is also quite cool as you can feel in bounce if a lot of people walk on it.

Red hoe is a bit off.

The heugh is pronounced more like a hybrid of huth with the uth sounding like it would in truth but with an f ending. It that makes any sense.  

• Upvote 2

Rialto Bridge - Venice. Had a lovely dinner one night just down from it right next to the water. Stunning bridge in an absolutely stunning place. I had a feeling I'd be disappointed by Venice but it truly is one of the most beautifulpxlaces on the planet. Spent 3 days there and apart from nearly getting my eyes scratched out by some old woman outside a church while she shouted "madonna' at me it was superb. 

1-rialto-bridge-in-venice.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

I've not got much of a head for heights. That would freak me out driving over that.

My stomach flips going over the smallest of bridges in the car, imagine going over that at any decent speed? I'd rather swim