You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (H) - Premier League -17/1/21 - 16:30

Bjornebye

The body language of our front 3 is awful.

It's almost as if, even when they get a rare assist from each other, they're almost not keen to do anything with the opportunity.

United are just OK, but they're on top and in it I guess.

City would have to fall over to not win the League I think.

We might even have a top 4 battle on our hands... which, frankly, I don't reckon I can be arsed with.  

We're not even troubling VAR at the moment.

Doesn't feel like we won the League a minute ago.

Sigh.

Oh, and compared with McManaman, Michael Owen is more than OK.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Stickman said:

No team wins the league by playing arguably your two best midfielders (or any) as centre half’s....Imagine in 1986 for example playing say McMahon and Whelan because Hansen, Lawrenson and Gillespie are all injured ....There’s no double happening and you could say the same for all the great Utd and Arsenal sides during the premiership era

Great analogy.

We need a defender asap. Hendo was great today but it's a clusterfuck expecting him to play centre half for the rest of the season.

Thought Shaq was very good.

21 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

We've played the same system and players to death. Fortunately we managed to win the title after our peak. But it's time for a rebuild.

That's why I'm so chilled this season. Never thought we'd win it given our cruel luck over the years.

Otherwise I'd be fucking livid that we're pissing a title chance away to these fucking shite teams.

Yes you're right though about the same system and the same players. I keep saying this.

The same players play every fucking game regardless of form. It's madness.

It's already a shortened season, playing more games in a shorter period of time. They've played game after game for 3 years now (possibly more).

That said, the squad has been stale for a while. Players like Naby, Ox, Origi offer fuck all. Get rid of them all.

Why did we loan out Harvey and keep Origi? Why did we bother signing the Greek lad if he's never going to get a look in?

Shaq and Mini never get a look in (apart from today).

We should be in a position now of having 2 players for each position.

I'm not talking about spending half a million to achieve this.

Then there's the madness of playing Hendo and Fab at centre back. Taking 2 of our best players out of their best positions.

It's now 17th Jan. We should have had at least 1, possibly 2 centre backs brought in on the 1st Jan.

3 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I actually thought Henderson and Fabinho did really well as a centre back partnership in that match.

They were very good; the problem is that neither of them were in midfield, which completely lacks bite and momentum as a result. I bet if Matip hadn’t gotten injured against West Brom and Henderson could play in midfield that we’d be 6-9 points better off. Refusing to buy a top quality centre back this month is, at best, an appalling misjudgment. I don’t care whose decision that is, it’s a shit one.

We are in a complete rut, similar to January 2017. Salah and Firmino were terrible, Firmino so wasteful and Salah cowardly and hiding.

Fab, Allisson and Hendo were excellent, Thiago is a fabulous footballer, equally good off the ball, so tenacious and an artist with the ball at his feet.

We need Jota back and I think Haaland would be the absolutely perfect signing for us. Gomez and Van Dijk and people back in stadiums, fuck this season and fuck covid.

8 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

So many whining utter morons. "The team is shot"; "the team needs a rebuild". Could you be any more fucking clueless. The team cannot play its natural game when two central midfielders are playing at the back in the absence of the greatest centre back in the modern era and one of two other top other centre backs besides him. Its an unfathomable situation to be in; other than Carrick, Essien & Fernandinho briefly playing games alongside another established centre back I can't think of a similar equivalent for a top side in the past 30 years. Its that simple.

It's both. The injuries at the back are making it even worse, but this is the classic regression of a title winning side after a couple dominant seasons. If you were as adamant that Man City were cooked last season, you can't possibly argue there isn't a mental issue going on here as well. It's pretty obvious. 

3 minutes ago, torahboy said:

Cunt of a performance against a cunt of a team in a cunt of a game, officiated by a cunt of a referee, ending with a cunt of a result. Then some cunts on here have the cuntish stupidity to act like the cunt of a season is already over. Twats!

When in Rome...

3 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

I’m sick of the whole thing. I had no problem with Suarez being banned but I’m sure Evra admitted to also using insults about Suarez’s ethnicity as well. My issue is that it seemed they’d both done the same thing but one is painted as a victim. If I’ve got that wrong I’ll hold my hands up but I’m sure the club even referenced it in their statement.

You've got that wrong.

Suarez claimed Evra said "Don't touch me, South American."  Evra denied it.

Evra claimed Suarez came out with all sorts of racist shit. Suarez denied it.

Also, Suarez admitted using the same word that Cavani tweeted. The FA's language experts explained that it was (as Suarez said) neither racist nor insulting.  Evra accepted that explanation, but the FA chose to ignore it. 

The FA also decided to invent a 7th count of racist abuse, which neither player claimed happened.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

We are in a complete rut, similar to January 2017. Salah and Firmino were terrible, Firmino so wasteful and Salah cowardly and hiding.

Fab, Allisson and Hendo were excellent, Thiago is a fabulous footballer, equally good off the ball, so tenacious and an artist with the ball at his feet.

We need Jota back and I think Haaland would be the absolutely perfect signing for us. Gomez and Van Dijk and people back in stadiums, fuck this season and fuck covid.

Something in this.

• Downvote 1

Any normal season, I'd be quite happy to be three points off the top with 20 games to go.  It's definitely not a position from which to start surrendering or shitting the bed.

Having said that, we really could do with a CB or two, so we can start playing our midfielders in midfield. 

The front three aren't playing as a unit and haven't been for a while, even last season. That's mainly due to the lack of chemistry shall we say between Mane and Salah. This is making Bobby look worse as he used to be the one linking the play.

At the moment, the way we play, I don't think Bobby is as integral as he used to be and there's an argument that a more natural number 9 would be more suited, especially with the number of crosses we seem to be putting in the box.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I agree with you about the player, but January is an expensive month to buy players - particularly if you’re working to a budget with a replacement plan in place.

Also, unless career ruining, injuries are not necessarily justification for upsetting the competitive balance of the squad. It must be a real balancing act keeping players happy and getting the best out of them