You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (H) - Premier League -17/1/21 - 16:30

Bjornebye

Almost a year to the day since we played them in this fixture. It's the game where the doubters really were turned into believers. A 2-0 win thanks to goals from Big Virg and Mo (and a goal disallowed for Bobby thanks to a non-foul of the sort we never get given against us in that situation), and the Kop were all bouncing and singing "We're gonna win the league!" It wasn't hopeful like usual. It was different. This year would be our year. And that's how it transpired. That win against United meant we'd won 21 of our first 22 games, with the only points dropped coming against the same opponents a few months earlier. This win sent us further clear at the top of the table, and it also meant we'd already beaten every other team in the league. There were still 16 games (and a Covid lockdown) to go. We were in phenomenal form as the reigning European and Club World Champions.

Our first Premier League win in this fixture came on 19th March 1995. We would go on to win the League Cup recently and Roy Evans would claim his first (and only) trophy. United had lost Cantona to a ban after his kung-fu antics against a Palace knobhead a couple of months earlier and were much less dominant than they had been over th previous two seasons. They'd added more firepower in the form of Andy Cole from Newcastle but they still looked a weaker side than previously. Blackburn would go on to snatch the title off the Mancs. In this game, Redknapp opened the scoring before Fathead Bruce sliced into the back of his own net to give us a 2-0 win.

Top of the charts in March 1995 was Celine Dion with 'Think Twice'. It was up there for 7 long weeks. Just another boring Celine Dion ballad is about all I can say about it. When you consider that hit songs were constantly played on the radio, I can't really understand why anybody would still want to go out and buy a single so many weeks after it first came out. It did knock the wretched 'Cotton Eye Joe' off the top of the charts mind you, so there is that.

Transfer-wise, all the talk suggests that we won't be signing any defensive reinforcements this January even though we are down to the bare bones at the back and scrambling to play midfielders in there at times. All the usual people are having their usual meltdowns over this possibility that we'll just make do until the end of the season. We may indeed not add to the squad and hopefully we don't end up having to "think twice" after this game, but it's also possible that we are arranging something behind the scenes and just not advertising it. We've been very controlling over what gets out in recent years, and that quietness leads so many people to think we are not doing anything to solve the problem, or worse, that we are throwing the towel in on this season. Also, loads of our fans keep saying United are shit and that we'll twat them in this game if we play like our usual selves. Scoreline-wise, it has always been close even when we have done just that. The main reason for that is that United are the spawniest side on the planet, and the officials and VAR have barely made any adverse decisions against them in the last couple of years. We seem to have at least one in every game.

Just get in there and get the job done with the most poise and professionalism possible.

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, Mark M said:

That’s the way I feel at the moment - play. anything like we’ve been playing recently and we’ll get beat

We'd won 2 of our last 7 games before tonight.

Hopefully form goes out the window like it often does in this game.

We need Matip desperately for this.

The way the wheels have fallen off this side I cant see us getting anything. We concede easily and need an avengers style assault just to get one shot off. I think were actually quite conservative so will pick the same team thats looked void of ideas, energy and fight. Id actually be slightly pissed off if the players step up their game because its a glamour game and now they can be arsed.

I'm allowed out for a walk today so my mood might uplift.

This match can define the rest of the season.

If we lose we are probably 6 points behind them, going into a tough period with no proven CB to rely on, and wiithout decent back up for the front 3. While United enter the same period with easier games, and a big and strong squad with no injury-concerns.

We simply must win this. Most important match against United for ages.

If anyone still think that these fuckers can not win the league this year, they need to get their heads out of their arses quick. 

As it stands now, they are the favourites for the title along with City IMO. We are in free fall, and we have ourselves to thank for this. Yes, we have had very bad luck, but the best teams and clubs plan for the really difficult situations. We have been to complacent and made awful decisions: Letting Lovren go, not providing competition or back-up for TAA (and most likely not for Robbo either), relying to much on Bobby etc. And the most awful decision of them all, bordering on the criminal: thinking we can survive this without a new solid CB. 

The big positive is Thiagos return, but it is not enough. Lacking quality CB to trust is not only a problem for the defence, it is a big problem for the midfield too, it creates insecurity, and it stops us from using Fabinho in midfield. Thinking that the midfield will be OK without him and Hendo is hilarious. 

Not long ago we were the best team in the world. Now we seem to be willing to sacrify that position to save a few pounds. I wonder if the owners have calculated the economical cost of losing our status as the world`s and the country`s best team. It will cost us much more then the extra money it cost to buy in january instead of the summer.

I hope that Jurgen`s expressed views on the CB-situation is caused by his loyalty to the owners, and not something he really believes. 

• Upvote 1

Be some tunraround in fortunes if we do find ourselves 6 pts behind these.

2 wins in our last 6 league games though has seen us ask for it....especially when those 6 games have been:

Fulham

Tottenham

Palace

West Brom

Newcastle

Southampton

It's a fucking terrible return from that shower.

• Upvote 1

We aren't playing particularly well at all and desperately need reinforcement/s in central defence but on the plus side we are unbeaten at home for over 3 years in the league and have only not won 2 games in 18 months at Anfield, so lets not go too far off the deep end worrying about a pretty bog standard Man United team.

The fernandes rashford/martial link ups are all united are going to need with our high line tactics. The diving penalty king will try it at least 20 times but it only has to come off once. It was OK playing a high line when we were properly penning teams in and they had to defend deep and with everybody. United won't do that and we're not pressing well enough to stop them playing it over and around our defence. Fat head will lap up every lazy looped ball we've been delivering lately. 

Need a fast start against them and to go ahead to draw them out. 

2 minutes ago, niallers said:

The fernandes rashford/martial link ups are all united are going to need with our high line tactics. The diving penalty king will try it at least 20 times but it only has to come off once. It was OK playing a high line when we were properly penning teams in and they had to defend deep and with everybody. United won't do that and we're not pressing well enough to stop them playing it over and around our defence. Fat head will lap up every lazy looped ball we've been delivering lately. 

We'll see

9 minutes ago, lebron said:

If Matip is still out, I'd like to see;

-----------Allison------------

Trent-Hendo-Fab-Robbo

---Shaq----Gini-----Thiago---

Salah-----Bobby------Mane

If Matip's back, Hendo takes the 3rd spot in midfield.

I like Shaq, but I reckon Jones would be in ahead of him. Not sure he’s trusted in big games. Huge boost to both defence and midfield if Matip is back. 

5 hours ago, an tha said:

Hendo at centre half v these would be a nightmare...he is so uncomfortable there, has no pace and of course we need him in midfield.

Agree, he’s looked poor at CB.

And he’s usually very good in midfield against good opposition. Against weaker opposition I honestly think he’s normally not very good.

• Upvote 1