You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Old Footie Games on Youtube

VladimirIlyich

I love watching 'The Big Match' on BT of a morning.  

Watched one a while back of Southampton vs Man Utd in the FA Cup at the Dell.  The supporters were all standing around the pitch and were no more than a foot away from the touchlines.  After the game, the players were being interviewed in the bar wearing big kipper ties and drinking Carling Black Label.  It was boss to watch.

I tell you what is also bizarre when you watch old games - the number of teams where 'YNWA' is sung.  Seen quite a few not involving Liverpool and all sorts of different teams start to sing it.  Weird.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Madrid Diecinueve said:

Watched one a while back of Southampton vs Man Utd in the FA Cup at the Dell.  The supporters were all standing around the pitch and were no more than a foot away from the touchlines.  After the game, the players were being interviewed in the bar wearing big kipper ties and drinking Carling Black Label.  It was boss to watch.

I tell you what is also bizarre when you watch old games - the number of teams where 'YNWA' is sung.  Seen quite a few not involving Liverpool and all sorts of different teams start to sing it.  Weird.    

Yeah,I noticed it too. Often the words have been changed to mock the opposition too.

10 minutes ago, Madrid Diecinueve said:

Not as old as the games you're on about but the whole of Wembley sung YNWA before England v Germany in Euro 96. Weird. 

2 hours ago, Madrid Diecinueve said:

Loads of fans used to sing YNWA before games back in the 60s and 70s.The Geordies even used to sing 'You'll never, clap clap, walk alone, clap, clap! United had their own version with the sign on, shite.

Most of them never sang the whole song like us and tended to just sing a chorus or two.

Even back in the day it was only the Kop that used to sing YNWA, not the whole ground. Dont think that started until the 90s?

That game at the Dell was a disgrace. It was a tight ground at the best of times and having fans sitting on the touchline, well, unbelievable. Southampton clearly let too many fans in else united fans jumped the turnstiles, surely not?

Pitches were nothing like they are today. You wonder how some of today's players would have coped. Very few grounds had under soil heating and the games being played on frozen or snow covered pitches were a lottery. I think we used to play in very heavy trainers that players were not allowed to keep. They were kept under lock and key in the bootroom and only used in such matches!

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Dave Waller is the best channel for us.

Has some brilliant stuff.

I am enjoying watching other clubs from the 70s and 80s just as much. Watching West Ham demolish Chelsea 4 or 5 nil at Stamford Bridge back in 85/86 was good. They had an excellent team back then and I loved Alan Devonshire and wished he'd played for us. Chelsea back in 1970 were dirty twats but could play a bit too. Watched Ipswich come back from 2-0 and 3-1 down to draw 3-3 with the Boos at Goodison with David Johnson scoring for Ipswich. A young Paul Cooper and George Burley didnt have good games on the day but became cracking players. Ipswich beating Man U 6-0 back in the late 70s too. Great entertainment,and nobody rolling around on the floor for hours even if they genuinely got clobbered.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I am enjoying watching other clubs from the 70s and 80s just as much. Watching West Ham demolish Chelsea 4 or 5 nil at Stamford Bridge back in 85/86 was good. They had an excellent team back then and I loved Alan Devonshire and wished he'd played for us. Chelsea back in 1970 were dirty twats but could play a bit too. Watched Ipswich come back from 2-0 and 3-1 down to draw 3-3 with the Boos at Goodison with David Johnson scoring for Ipswich. A young Paul Cooper and George Burley didnt have good games on the day but became cracking players. Ipswich beating Man U 6-0 back in the late 70s too. Great entertainment,and nobody rolling around on the floor for hours even if they genuinely got clobbered.

Yeah agreed.

Watch a bit myself.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Loads of fans used to sing YNWA before games back in the 60s and 70s.The Geordies even used to sing 'You'll never, clap clap, walk alone, clap, clap! United had their own version with the sign on, shite.

Most of them never sang the whole song like us and tended to just sing a chorus or two.

Even back in the day it was only the Kop that used to sing YNWA, not the whole ground. Dont think that started until the 90s?

That game at the Dell was a disgrace. It was a tight ground at the best of times and having fans sitting on the touchline, well, unbelievable. Southampton clearly let too many fans in else united fans jumped the turnstiles, surely not?

Pitches were nothing like they are today. You wonder how some of today's players would have coped. Very few grounds had under soil heating and the games being played on frozen or snow covered pitches were a lottery. I think we used to play in very heavy trainers that players were not allowed to keep. They were kept under lock and key in the bootroom and only used in such matches!

I think the fact that the pitches were so bad yet the quality of play was often pretty good just shows up the bullshit about how modern footballers are the best ever and past players were just cloggers. The players of the past would simply have adapted,nothing more. It was also strange to see so very few overseas players,other than a few Europeans,at English clubs. The game has benefited from other nationalities now playing here but the obsession with the money and fame is off putting for me. 

I'd also forgotten certain players playing for certain clubs such as Brian Kidd at Arsenal,Don Rogers at QPR and Dean Saunders at Brighton.

24 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think the fact that the pitches were so bad yet the quality of play was often pretty good just shows up the bullshit about how modern footballers are the best ever and past players were just cloggers. The players of the past would simply have adapted,nothing more. It was also strange to see so very few overseas players,other than a few Europeans,at English clubs. The game has benefited from other nationalities now playing here but the obsession with the money and fame is off putting for me. 

I'd also forgotten certain players playing for certain clubs such as Brian Kidd at Arsenal,Don Rogers at QPR and Dean Saunders at Brighton.

Sure the better ones would have. Less so the poorer ones. Myself, I miss a bit of the 'old cloggers' like Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris etc. and the thing is, in them days, you didnt have players rolling around anywhere like we have in the last 30 years at the merest touch.

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Not as old as the games you're on about but the whole of Wembley sung YNWA before England v Germany in Euro 96. Weird. 

As did the whole of Anfield in ‘94 when Newcastle visited. They prompted us to sing it and just enjoyed themselves. Norwich fans were the same on the last day of the Kop. Unpopularity doesn’t come from Heysel as the Bitters would have you believe, they just use it as a stick to beat us with.

Been piling throught these again over the last few days and have to say that they quality of British and Irish goalkeepers back in the 70s and 80s was unbelievably high. Very few mistakes on awful pitches and their handling and agility was fantastic. Even the lower teams such as Birmingham,West Brom,Man City,Stoke,Derby, as well as Tottenham,Arsenal,Villa,Ipswich,Everton,ourselves and so on had a top quality goalkeeper between the sticks and few were much over 6ft tall. What the hell happened?

25 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Been piling throught these again over the last few days and have to say that they quality of British and Irish goalkeepers back in the 70s and 80s was unbelievably high. Very few mistakes on awful pitches and their handling and agility was fantastic. Even the lower teams such as Birmingham,West Brom,Man City,Stoke,Derby, as well as Tottenham,Arsenal,Villa,Ipswich,Everton,ourselves and so on had a top quality goalkeeper between the sticks and few were much over 6ft tall. What the hell happened?

And unlike  that shithouse Pickford they all dived at forwards feet with their hands hence why they used to call keepers mad 

• 4 months later...
On 08/01/2021 at 16:43, Butch said:

Some of the tackles going in back then would result in a heafty ban nowadays with the sterile shit we have on offer now. Great to watch. 

I think there is a happy medium. Shithouses like Vinny Jones flying in 2 footed and knee high wasn’t ever fun to watch. But a good fairly contested blood and thunder 50/50 is great. 

The thing about these hard men chucking those Vinny Jones esque tackles about - there’s minimal risk in it for them. Not like head first collisions that you’ll get in rugby. The risk of you flying in feet first is heavily stacked to the poor cunt receiving the cunt tackle. The hard men for me are the ones who take them and keep trying to play. Both the Ronaldos are great modern day versions of that sort of bravery.