You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grujic confused by mixed messages at Liverpool

TLW

Marko Grujic says that he is still not sure if he has a future at Liverpool.

The 24 year-old Serbian international was the first signing Jurgen Klopp made as Liverpool manager in January of 2016, but has made just 16 appearances in his Reds career to date.

In between times, the defensive midfielder has been loaned back to his original club, Red Star Belgrade, Cardiff City, spent two seasons at Hertha Berlin and is currently at Portuguese powerhouse Porto.

The footballing nomad is at the stage of his career where he would want to call a club his true home.

He says mixed messages from his parent club have not helped matters as reported in the Echo (via Serbian publication Kurir).

“I went through preparations with the club, after two years in the Bundesliga, I returned more mature to England.

"That's what they wanted from me at Liverpool.

"But when Thiago Alcantara came from Bayern (Munich), I estimated that there would not be much space for me. I didn't want to gamble.

“I see now that there are a lot of injured players at Anfield. It is certain that I would get a chance, but I could not have foreseen that."

Grujic says the confusion in his mind lies in the fact that all conversations with the manager have been positive, however that does not translate into playing opportunities.

“I believe that they believe in me. In every conversation, whether it's Klopp or one of the directors, they always remind me that I am a player of great potential.

“But when I get into the system I don't get a chance. It confuses me a little."

Grujic believes the club are waiting for the right deal to cash in on him, but in this time of financial uncertainty for football clubs, another loan was more practical.

image.png

“They certainly want to make money on me. The English are quite demanding during the negotiations. 

“They do not lack money and can close the amount they want. So it is with me.

“It was unrealistic that they asked for 20 million euros for me, so the loan was the most realistic."

For now, he is looking forward to displaying his talents in Europe’s premier club competition as Porto take on Juventus in the Round of 16 tie.

"There is no easy opponent.

"Everyone at the club was afraid of Liverpool and Bayern, and Juventus fell to us.

"Cristiano Ronaldo is returning to Portugal, we'll see."

View full article

4 hours ago, TLW said:

Marko Grujic says that he is still not sure if he has a future at Liverpool.

The 24 year-old Serbian international was the first signing Jurgen Klopp made as Liverpool manager in January of 2016, but has made just 16 appearances in his Reds career to date.

In between times, the defensive midfielder has been loaned back to his original club, Red Star Belgrade, Cardiff City, spent two seasons at Hertha Berlin and is currently at Portuguese powerhouse Porto.

The footballing nomad is at the stage of his career where he would want to call a club his true home.

He says mixed messages from his parent club have not helped matters as reported in the Echo (via Serbian publication Kurir).

“I went through preparations with the club, after two years in the Bundesliga, I returned more mature to England.

"That's what they wanted from me at Liverpool.

"But when Thiago Alcantara came from Bayern (Munich), I estimated that there would not be much space for me. I didn't want to gamble.

“I see now that there are a lot of injured players at Anfield. It is certain that I would get a chance, but I could not have foreseen that."

Grujic says the confusion in his mind lies in the fact that all conversations with the manager have been positive, however that does not translate into playing opportunities.

“I believe that they believe in me. In every conversation, whether it's Klopp or one of the directors, they always remind me that I am a player of great potential.

“But when I get into the system I don't get a chance. It confuses me a little."

Grujic believes the club are waiting for the right deal to cash in on him, but in this time of financial uncertainty for football clubs, another loan was more practical.

image.png

“They certainly want to make money on me. The English are quite demanding during the negotiations. 

“They do not lack money and can close the amount they want. So it is with me.

“It was unrealistic that they asked for 20 million euros for me, so the loan was the most realistic."

For now, he is looking forward to displaying his talents in Europe’s premier club competition as Porto take on Juventus in the Round of 16 tie.

"There is no easy opponent.

"Everyone at the club was afraid of Liverpool and Bayern, and Juventus fell to us.

"Cristiano Ronaldo is returning to Portugal, we'll see."

View full article

Google translate in all it's nonsensical glory.

13 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

He's barely played for them.

Yea, less than a couple games worth of minutes there. 

He was about at his level with a poor Hertha side - if he hadn't of got injured maybe we could have moved him on after that first season.

Right now I would be surprised of we could get anything for him - he is 25 in a couple of months and has never really done anything.

Unless we have given him an extension at some point I think he will be out of contract this summer anyway.