You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton 1 Liverpool 0 (Jan 4 2021)

tlw content

I'm not one for conspiracies but there's something corrupt as fuck about the officiating this season. It's fucking awful without corruption but with VAR available you just can't legislate for some of the inconsistencies eg the term 'Clear and obvious' being thrown around when it suits yet some decisions get scrutinised to the nth degree and get overturned. 

Also, it was clever to be fair, but Hendo was clearly pushed backwards as they took the free kick thus playing Ings onside. It wasn't even mentioned on the TV (unless I missed it) but that's a really tight call if he's not shoved back. 

• Upvote 2

As I said last night we are playing against 11men, one "dodgy" ref and VAR. It's fucking nuts and watching it unfolding again last night and that absolute filty cunt Tyler nearly jizzing himself I was furious. I feel for the players as they are getting nothing. 

I'm wondering if that lie livarpool is playing on the officials mind's and they are showing look we give them nothing. 

When jota comes back he'll get the players buzzing again, we really miss him and he's not afraid to shoot from outside the box. 

I'm really worried now about these manc cunts and I'd be very surprised if they beat us with the help of whatever cunt ref or VAR. I know if it happens against them bastards my head will fall off. 

• Upvote 1

The "opinion piece" from Sky today on Klopp's statements removes any doubt that Murdoch and co have their mittens all over this campaign. The only thing missing from it was "fachts", as they try to imply that this is a Rafa-like rant from Klopp. What Rafa said was true back then, and Klopp is spot on now.

The amount of money the TV companies put into this product, coupled with the comments made by Scudamore in the past, you'd be incredibly naive to think that a season like we had last, and City had 3 years ago would be well received by those forking out the cash. The one season in the middle they could sell, but what would be even better would be the awakening of Utd. With the amount of money involved, do we honestly believe that this big business is going to not be influenced by corruption (as any other big business is). I'm not going to imply that bags of money are finding its way into accounts of individual referees, but the shift in media coverage is palpable, both TV and written articles. The refs are having each others back, and so it continues. If you compare Oliver's refereeing of Utd-Villa with ours yesterday, it's like we're playing in another universe. 

It feels like the 90s all over again. Hop on the commercial moneymaking train that is Man Utd now that they've gotten a little wind in their sails. I'm so angry right now that it's not healthy. Watching the games with my boys is one of the highlights of the week, but it's turning into a proper strugggle atm. I can take us being shit, and we've been dubious for a while now. Outright cheating though, that's painful to watch.

• Upvote 3

Agree with all of that Dave, our defence has been ripped up so we’ve had no option but to rip up CM to try and compensate. But it’s the old adage two wrongs don’t make a right. Williams and Phillips have done ok, but the truth is you could take Oscar Pistorius’ blades away from him and he’d still smoke those two over ten yards. So unless cheese-legs Joel gets his shit together last night’s back 4 will start against the scum as the one thing they have up-front is pace - imagine Rashford one v one against Williams/Phillips? Shivers!

• Upvote 1

I don't believe there's an organized conspiracy against the club but there must be something else going on. We all know the referees, with the exception of Oliver, are absolute dogshit and VAR has actually made them worse, not better.

The club generally aren't well-liked - look at the amount of fans that came out of the woodwork to demand the season be cancelled when we were on the cusp of winning the title. Where are they now?

The likes of Salah and Mane have had their reputations dragged through the mud around going down too easily so I wonder if that also wanders into referees subconscious where they're making these 50/50 calls. I mean, when Salah is in a choke hold and the free kick goes the other way, you have to wonder what's going through the ref's head. 

• Upvote 1

This was a great review Dave as it basically summed up all of my thoughts.

The only thing I don't agree with is the suggestion that refs are hard on us because we're doing well. They've been doing this even when we were average the only thing that changed is the justification because now it's LiVARpool while the former bullshit narrative was that the Kop influences the ref to give soft penalties while during the 2017/18 season we got no fucking penalties in the premier league at Anfield.

I hate it when we lose or draw matches where we played shit, Atalanta, West Brom, Newcastle and Fulham sucked to watch but I could take it because we were shit but matches like Everton, Brighton and Southampton just sticks in the brain because of just how fucking unfair it is.

When I think of playing United what I remember is Origi getting fouled in the build up to their goal and VAR not even bothering to check so I'm nervous for that match.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, lebron said:

The "opinion piece" from Sky today on Klopp's statements removes any doubt that Murdoch and co have their mittens all over this campaign. The only thing missing from it was "fachts", as they try to imply that this is a Rafa-like rant from Klopp. What Rafa said was true back then, and Klopp is spot on now.

The amount of money the TV companies put into this product, coupled with the comments made by Scudamore in the past, you'd be incredibly naive to think that a season like we had last, and City had 3 years ago would be well received by those forking out the cash. The one season in the middle they could sell, but what would be even better would be the awakening of Utd. With the amount of money involved, do we honestly believe that this big business is going to not be influenced by corruption (as any other big business is). I'm not going to imply that bags of money are finding its way into accounts of individual referees, but the shift in media coverage is palpable, both TV and written articles. The refs are having each others back, and so it continues. If you compare Oliver's refereeing of Utd-Villa with ours yesterday, it's like we're playing in another universe. 

It feels like the 90s all over again. Hop on the commercial moneymaking train that is Man Utd now that they've gotten a little wind in their sails. I'm so angry right now that it's not healthy. Watching the games with my boys is one of the highlights of the week, but it's turning into a proper strugggle atm. I can take us being shit, and we've been dubious for a while now. Outright cheating though, that's painful to watch.

Is Murdoch even involved with Sky?

19 minutes ago, index1000 said:

No offence with the banging on about refs. Their shit, when have they not been. 

One fucking shot on goal. 

That is the reason why we lost.

Against Forster as well been in semi -retirement for years.

Although there is a compelling and comprehensive case and we have been hard done by, its sounding a little ifithadntofbeenfor 

5 hours ago, Supremolad said:

There was also an incident in the first half where Salah is running alongside their defender trying to chase a ball and he gets put into a headlock. I mean the cunt literally wrapped his arm around Salah's neck, with the linesman just a few metres away looking at it. No foul was given. Incredible.

To be fair on that incident if it's the same one I think the ball had gone out and that's why the free kick wasn't given from a pass off Trent. 

I guess Klopp put hendo at the back to get ready for the United game. He won’t stay there, hopefully because we need him elsewhere.

It’s just mad Minamino isn’t playing anymore after his best game for us.

Trent and Mo have been awful lately, are they affected with post vivid effects ? And Bobby's becoming a joke, he’s losing so often the ball and has no impact whatsoever on the game.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Marcas said:

Agree with all of that Dave, our defence has been ripped up so we’ve had no option but to rip up CM to try and compensate. But it’s the old adage two wrongs don’t make a right. Williams and Phillips have done ok, but the truth is you could take Oscar Pistorius’ blades away from him and he’d still smoke those two over ten yards. So unless cheese-legs Joel gets his shit together last night’s back 4 will start against the scum as the one thing they have up-front is pace - imagine Rashford one v one against Williams/Phillips? Shivers!

I think if you took Oscar Pistorious blades off him he'd try to shot you whilst you were on the bog.

10 hours ago, Manny said:

Ref wasn't the reason we lost, but he was one of them. As you say, we didn't 'deserve' much from that performance, but the performance still warranted two goalscoring opportunities that were denied from us by a third party (and wouldn't be to certain other teams). I don't get why it's controversial to point it out.

Yes he was.

Soton scored from a non existant free kick and we got denied two penalties. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, sir roger said:

The only thing that worries me about ref watch is that if Gallagher is that scared of upsetting PGMOL he won't criticise any decisions and he has been retired for years, then what chance is there of any present officials going against their mates on VAR ?

Bob Hope and No Hope.

• Upvote 1

I saw something on This is Anfield today that is genuinely staggering and shows that this refereeing problem is much worse than many of us thought.

In 16 games this season Mo has been given 11 fouls. That's the same as Lewis Dunk and ranks 114th in the league.

That was bad enough, but this is worse.

Only Sheffield United have been awarded fewer free kicks than us this season. 8.8 fouls a game for the team that has more of the ball than anyone else (except City I assume?), attacks more than anyone else and has the trickiest forwards in the league.

That can't be legitimately explained away. Dodgy as fuck and it needs highlighting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

There is something very odd going on. I don't think there's any conspiracy, corruption or (mostly) deliberate bias but the stats are clear and the sample size is large enough. It was happening over the last two seasons too but we were playing well enough to overcome it.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, dave u said:

I don't think it's a conspiracy or in most cases even a conscious thing.

I think it's a case of refs giving us fuck all because we've been so dominant and they're thinking "what do you need a free-kick for if you're that good?"

I think it's a case of what I call FA Cup refereeing around the field coupled with a dislike of our cheating foreigners in the box.  

On 06/01/2021 at 18:22, dave u said:

I don't think it's a conspiracy or in most cases even a conscious thing.

I think it's a case of refs giving us fuck all because we've been so dominant and they're thinking "what do you need a free-kick for if you're that good?"

That is corruption. Inferring your own bias onto an officiating decision is a corruption of the rules. The ref is there to implement them not level the playing field by hook or crook. The blatant decisions we are not getting and soft decisions others are getting have completely shaped the league standings. I've never know other sides who were at their peak being constantly punished. Its so blatant its not cry arsing the facts back it all up, weve been getting fucked.

The thing that surprises me is that I woukd havevimagined that if you had a team that almost always show you respect and have a manager who hates gamesmanship you would have a bit of a respect for them , but tge PGMOL posse appear to see it as weakness and are a bit cowed by teams that don't.

• Upvote 1

Having now seen the incidents (two stonewall penalties and a red card ignored) at Southampton and also the ManU penalty against Villa, I have no doubt now that there's something shady going on. What the exact nature of it is, I don't know. On the one hand, half-wits like Atkinson, Marriner, Friend et al don't have the intelligence to put together a conspiracy. On the other, they're dim enough to think that they could get away with one! It's alarming that the media are completely glossing over this situation. I've seen a few analyses as to our current 'predicament'. None of them mention us getting regularly ficked over by the refs union. And it's not just the big calls, it's the relentless small one that break up rhythm and momentum. The first long throw into our box by teh West Brom lad Furlong (who, of course, has been shit since that night), was taken 20-25 yards further upfield than where it went out. Newcastle's only attempt in the 2nd half came from a free-kick taken 10 yards infield from the offence (Phillips, right on the touch line).

:'And as for Dickhead Dermot..... Here''s what he said about the Pogbal incident... ''I think the referee thinks there is a tangle of legs and Pogba actually catches his foot. What I would say is once it's given, considering where the referee is on the pitch, it's never going to be overturned by VAR. You cannot fault Michael Oliver's positioning."  

And on the Mane one: 

I think this is a tangle. Walker-Peters goes to make the challenge, I think he pulls out and Mane goes to skip the ball. You can see that they come together and I think it would be harsh to give a penalty.

"Walker-Peters is definitely going to pull out of the tackle, he doesn't want to get involved, he doesn't want to dangle a leg, which is what defenders are often accused of doing. He goes to tackle with his right leg and Mane actually goes into his left leg.

"The referee also couldn't be in a better position, so he has a perfect view of it. He can see the contact, how it's made - there's no doubt there's contact - and he says no. VAR quickly looked and agreed with the referee."

He's diappearing up his own arse trying to justify these decisions. The Neil Mellor analysis shows that it's a crystal clear foul on Mane.

The irony of this situation - refs favouring United, and fucking us over, is that the team which will benefit most is City. United aren't good enough to win the title off the back of this largesse. However our lead over City has been whittled away by these shite decisions (as well, of course, by our own form/missed chances/injuries) and they've built some good momentum now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

Having now seen the incidents (two stonewall penalties and a red card ignored) at Southampton and also the ManU penalty against Villa, I have no doubt now that there's something shady going on. What the exact nature of it is, I don't know. On the one hand, half-wits like Atkinson, Marriner, Friend et al don't have the intelligence to put together a conspiracy. On the other, they're dim enough to think that they could get away with one! It's alarming that the media are completely glossing over this situation. I've seen a few analyses as to our current 'predicament'. None of them mention us getting regularly ficked over by the refs union. And it's not just the big calls, it's the relentless small one that break up rhythm and momentum. The first long throw into our box by teh West Brom lad Furlong (who, of course, has been shit since that night), was taken 20-25 yards further upfield than where it went out. Newcastle's only attempt in the 2nd half came from a free-kick taken 10 yards infield from the offence (Phillips, right on the touch line).

:'And as for Dickhead Dermot..... Here''s what he said about the Pogbal incident... ''I think the referee thinks there is a tangle of legs and Pogba actually catches his foot. What I would say is once it's given, considering where the referee is on the pitch, it's never going to be overturned by VAR. You cannot fault Michael Oliver's positioning."  

And on the Mane one: 

I think this is a tangle. Walker-Peters goes to make the challenge, I think he pulls out and Mane goes to skip the ball. You can see that they come together and I think it would be harsh to give a penalty.

"Walker-Peters is definitely going to pull out of the tackle, he doesn't want to get involved, he doesn't want to dangle a leg, which is what defenders are often accused of doing. He goes to tackle with his right leg and Mane actually goes into his left leg.

"The referee also couldn't be in a better position, so he has a perfect view of it. He can see the contact, how it's made - there's no doubt there's contact - and he says no. VAR quickly looked and agreed with the referee."

He's diappearing up his own arse trying to justify these decisions. The Neil Mellor analysis shows that it's a crystal clear foul on Mane.

The irony of this situation - refs favouring United, and fucking us over, is that the team which will benefit most is City. United aren't good enough to win the title off the back of this largesse. However our lead over City has been whittled away by these shite decisions (as well, of course, by our own form/missed chances/injuries) and they've built some good momentum now. 

Good post, but would add to be fair that City have been given even less penalties than we have in the OGS era.

• dave u unpinned this topic