Quantcast
Villa (A) - FA Cup - 8/1/2021 - 19:45 - Page 2 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Villa (A) - FA Cup - 8/1/2021 - 19:45

8 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Glass half full, eh, Troy?

We havent bothered with the FA cup since 2012 and Klopp has always treated it like an inconvenience. He's always keen to go out of it as soon as possible to keep future weekends free.

Also, we always seem to draw Premier League teams in the 3rd or 4th round unlike our rivals for the league who always get lower league teams at home so they can play weakened teams and still breeze through.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

We havent bothered with the FA cup since 2012 and Klopp has always treated it like an inconvenience. He's always keen to go out of it as soon as possible to keep future weekends free.

Also, we always seem to draw Premier League teams in the 3rd or 4th round unlike our rivals for the league who always get lower league teams at home so they can play weakened teams and still breeze through.

Wouldn't argue with any of that, mate. I was just suggesting that, at 0-3, you might be being a bit optimistic given the way we are playing at the moment!

7 minutes ago, m0e said:

Have we ever lost 2 games on the spin under Klopp?

According to the sources, yes. We've lost 3 consecutive games back in 2017 and the last time we lost 2 on the bounce was back in March 2020.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LFC 6 Times said:

2015 pretty much the last time we ever had a stab at this since getting to final under Kenny. Can’t say I’m too arsed.

Neither am I, but we badly need a good performance and we've plenty of recovery time before the United game. 

Maybe rest Fabinho as we can't afford to lose him but play most of the rest. Thiago could do with another hour to get used to his team-mates. 

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Havent we conceded 12 goals at Villa Park in our last two visits? Five in the League Cup and seven in the League this season?

5-0, 7-2.

So, a dyslexic Fibonacci says 6-1.

On 04/01/2021 at 22:48, an tha said:

Think we need to play a full strength team here.

We need a win, we need some confidence and some form back and i think it would be a mistake to go into game with mancs with players out of rhythm.

I’m inclined to agree, except not Hendo in the back 4, get him in midfield. Williams or Phillips aren’t particularly good options but we dont really have any choice unless we try moving Gini back there like we did at Brighton a couple of seasons ago

id also hope that the first team might be even more up for it given our last visit...

• Upvote 1

Don't play again until the 17th.

Our lads need a win under their belts.

Who's to say a Cup match can't give your League campaign a shot in the arm.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, skaro said:

Don't play again until the 17th.

Our lads need a win under their belts.

Who's to say a Cup match can't give your League campaign a shot in the arm.

They are all around 30 and healthy so wont be due any jabs for a while yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wicket said:

I’m inclined to agree, except not Hendo in the back 4, get him in midfield. Williams or Phillips aren’t particularly good options but we dont really have any choice unless we try moving Gini back there like we did at Brighton a couple of seasons ago

id also hope that the first team might be even more up for it given our last visit...

Yeah - plus personally i am fed up of us jibbing off the cups every season with a whimper.

I understand the whole priority thing, i get it - but for me we have taken it too far, we should be able to have a better crack at them than we have - even given our quite incredible draws compared to our rivals.

Couldnt give a fuck about the domestic cups while we have bigger fish to fry especially when even teams like Newcastle and Sheffield United will play 2nd string teams in them. We conncentrated on the cups for the best part of 30 years and couldnt win a title in the meantime. Anyway, that's another argument.

The way I see it is we need to get back to winning ways and fast. So, Im up for playing a strong team to beat Villa and get back to winning ways. Next round, we see who we get, where we are at with the league and go from there before the CL kicks in again.

Going out the cup will be a blessing, have a week off every cup weekend. Ideally, we’d have a ‘cup’ team with the fringe players but them fringe players are always fucking injured, OX, Shaq, Keita etc etc, putting more pressure on the 1st team. Having time off, give the players some rest amidst a ridiculous fixture list with the CL back, a game every 3 or 4 days. Fuck the Cup. The final is a day out for the fans, they’ll be none there, don’t give a shit. Winning the Cup at Wembley with no fans? I’ll we’ll sacrifice that to keep the squad a little fresher for the big tests to come. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Going out the cup will be a blessing, have a week off every cup weekend. Ideally, we’d have a ‘cup’ team with the fringe players but them fringe players are always fucking injured, OX, Shaq, Keita etc etc, putting more pressure on the 1st team. Having time off, give the players some rest amidst a ridiculous fixture list with the CL back, a game every 3 or 4 days. Fuck the Cup. The final is a day out for the fans, they’ll be none there, don’t give a shit. Winning the Cup at Wembley with no fans? I’ll we’ll sacrifice that to keep the squad a little fresher for the big tests to come. 

Agree.

18 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Agree with this. Put the U23s out.

Oh for the old days when we put out full strength or close to it anyway sides against likes of Altrincham in 3rd Rd of Cup.

It's all changed so much!

Maybe our luck has just changed. Villa's training ground closed after a Covid outbreak, I would assume our kids will either playing their kids or we get a walkover.