You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa (A) - FA Cup - 8/1/2021 - 19:45

Bjornebye

8 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Glass half full, eh, Troy?

We havent bothered with the FA cup since 2012 and Klopp has always treated it like an inconvenience. He's always keen to go out of it as soon as possible to keep future weekends free.

Also, we always seem to draw Premier League teams in the 3rd or 4th round unlike our rivals for the league who always get lower league teams at home so they can play weakened teams and still breeze through.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

We havent bothered with the FA cup since 2012 and Klopp has always treated it like an inconvenience. He's always keen to go out of it as soon as possible to keep future weekends free.

Also, we always seem to draw Premier League teams in the 3rd or 4th round unlike our rivals for the league who always get lower league teams at home so they can play weakened teams and still breeze through.

Wouldn't argue with any of that, mate. I was just suggesting that, at 0-3, you might be being a bit optimistic given the way we are playing at the moment!

1 hour ago, LFC 6 Times said:

2015 pretty much the last time we ever had a stab at this since getting to final under Kenny. Can’t say I’m too arsed.

Neither am I, but we badly need a good performance and we've plenty of recovery time before the United game. 

Maybe rest Fabinho as we can't afford to lose him but play most of the rest. Thiago could do with another hour to get used to his team-mates. 

On 04/01/2021 at 22:48, an tha said:

Think we need to play a full strength team here.

We need a win, we need some confidence and some form back and i think it would be a mistake to go into game with mancs with players out of rhythm.

I’m inclined to agree, except not Hendo in the back 4, get him in midfield. Williams or Phillips aren’t particularly good options but we dont really have any choice unless we try moving Gini back there like we did at Brighton a couple of seasons ago

id also hope that the first team might be even more up for it given our last visit...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wicket said:

I’m inclined to agree, except not Hendo in the back 4, get him in midfield. Williams or Phillips aren’t particularly good options but we dont really have any choice unless we try moving Gini back there like we did at Brighton a couple of seasons ago

id also hope that the first team might be even more up for it given our last visit...

Yeah - plus personally i am fed up of us jibbing off the cups every season with a whimper.

I understand the whole priority thing, i get it - but for me we have taken it too far, we should be able to have a better crack at them than we have - even given our quite incredible draws compared to our rivals.

Couldnt give a fuck about the domestic cups while we have bigger fish to fry especially when even teams like Newcastle and Sheffield United will play 2nd string teams in them. We conncentrated on the cups for the best part of 30 years and couldnt win a title in the meantime. Anyway, that's another argument.

The way I see it is we need to get back to winning ways and fast. So, Im up for playing a strong team to beat Villa and get back to winning ways. Next round, we see who we get, where we are at with the league and go from there before the CL kicks in again.

Going out the cup will be a blessing, have a week off every cup weekend. Ideally, we’d have a ‘cup’ team with the fringe players but them fringe players are always fucking injured, OX, Shaq, Keita etc etc, putting more pressure on the 1st team. Having time off, give the players some rest amidst a ridiculous fixture list with the CL back, a game every 3 or 4 days. Fuck the Cup. The final is a day out for the fans, they’ll be none there, don’t give a shit. Winning the Cup at Wembley with no fans? I’ll we’ll sacrifice that to keep the squad a little fresher for the big tests to come. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Going out the cup will be a blessing, have a week off every cup weekend. Ideally, we’d have a ‘cup’ team with the fringe players but them fringe players are always fucking injured, OX, Shaq, Keita etc etc, putting more pressure on the 1st team. Having time off, give the players some rest amidst a ridiculous fixture list with the CL back, a game every 3 or 4 days. Fuck the Cup. The final is a day out for the fans, they’ll be none there, don’t give a shit. Winning the Cup at Wembley with no fans? I’ll we’ll sacrifice that to keep the squad a little fresher for the big tests to come. 

Agree.

18 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Agree with this. Put the U23s out.