You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa (A) - FA Cup - 8/1/2021 - 19:45

Bjornebye

The last time we met Villa in the cup was the semi final at Wembley in 2015. Despite taking the lead through Coutinho, we conspired to lose our way and get beaten by Captain Bellend and his deadbeats. It summed up that season, which ended with that absolute shambles at Stoke. Previous to that though, the last cup tie between the two sides was also a semi final - at Old Trafford in March 1996. We were an excellent attacking side that season, with a centre forward at the very top of his game. You could (almost!) forgive the peroxide blonde he'd been sporting for parts of that season. Robbie scored two belters, and even Double Trigger got in on the act with a late third to make it 3-0. Shame we never turned up for the actual final, instead sending a bunch of posers in cream Armani suits.

A belting song topped the charts back then. The formidable 'Firestarter' by The Prodigy stayed at number one for three weeks. Just one of those songs and one of those albums that demands to be played out loud.

We could do with someone with Keith Flint's frankly scary appearance scaring the PGMOL slapdicks straight. They've been appallingly shit for a long time now, but even one of the better ones had a complete shocker at St Mary's. We weren't great but it doesn't help when calls always go against you, especially when you see other sides benefit from the same calls going their way again and again.

I'd expect Klopp to go with squad players and youth teamers for the Villa game. Even though a number of first choice players need to play themselves back into form once again, Klopp usually chooses to rest his mainstays. We will probably see Kelleher, Neco, Rhys, Nat and Millie at the back. The likes of Taki, Ox, Shaq and Div will probably start, with youngsters like Leighton Clarkson given another opportunity. On paper, it will be stronger than the teenage line-up Neil Critchley had in the League Cup in December 2019, but I wouldn't expect it to be as cohesive.

I have absolutely no idea how it will go. It HAS to be better than the league game a few months ago though, right? RIGHT?

• Upvote 1

Hopefully Villa decide to rest a load of players too, they're doing alright in the league so they might get carried away with themselves thinking they can get top 4. They've got a few big games coming up and if they win their games in hand they'll be right in the mix.

We'll smash them, shake off the funk, get some confidence back then bum the mancs silly. 

I've got a horrible feeling that Klopp will give loads of kids a game; which would be great if we do to them what we did to Everton, but is more likely to just ruin my week.. 

I really dislike these cunts and I hate going meekly out of the domestic cups.

Just get these shithouses beat, Reds. 

Play the reserves. This competition is the least valuable and we need every 1st teamer ready for the Mancs. Would have liked us to have a proper go of it in all three major comps soon, but it won't be this year for a number of reasons. Might as well pull out early.

4 minutes ago, lebron said:

Play the reserves. This competition is the least valuable and we need every 1st teamer ready for the Mancs. Would have liked us to have a proper go of it in all three major comps soon, but it won't be this year for a number of reasons. Might as well pull out early.

Normally I'd neg this sort of stuff and rail against the defeatism, but right now I can understand it. Until Jota and Matip return, we can't risk injuring any senior players.

Just looked at the fixture calendar, if we progress we're looking at a match virtually every 3 days until the end of March. The only opportunity for rest is to exit this right now, I wouldn't even bother playing Ox or Minamino, give the Shrewsbury lads another go. Unless we intend winning it then out in the 3rd round is the 2nd best option.

Fourth round proper: Saturday 23 January 2021.

Currently down to play Burnley on the 21st and Spurs on 28th.
Fifth round proper: Wednesday 10 February 2021

City 3 days before, Leicester 3 days after.

Quarter-finals: Saturday 20 March 2021

Due to at Everton that day,  a match we have no room for rescheduling. 

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, No2 said:

Just looked at the fixture calendar, if we progress we're looking at a match virtually every 3 days until the end of March. The only opportunity for rest is to exit this right now, I wouldn't even bother playing Ox or Minamino, give the Shrewsbury lads another go. Unless we intend winning it then out in the 3rd round is the 2nd best option.

Used to love the FA Cup, but if anyone need a reality check this post serves well.

My opinion is the same as it was for the Midtjylland game, play the kids.

19 minutes ago, No2 said:

I get your point but a fat lot of use rest is doing us.

• Upvote 2

Hmmm, was firmly of the opinion Jurgen should play the kids in this before tonight but, our form isnt great and I dont think 2 defeats on the bounce would be good for morale. If we arent going to retain the title this year, it might make sense to give the cup a go if we can sneak past Villa. But knowing our luck, we'd draw city or united away in the next round.

Im a believer of playing yourself back into form so, Im going to do a 180 and say we need to play a strong side in this game.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've got a horrible feeling that Klopp will give loads of kids a game; which would be great if we do to them what we did to Everton, but is more likely to just ruin my week.. 

I really dislike these cunts and I hate going meekly out of the domestic cups.

Just get these shithouses beat, Reds. 

You should be used to it by now.   After no squad to speak of has meant we've been doing that year in year out under fsg

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I get your point but a fat lot of use rest is doing us.

Its not just us, Utd and City will both win and they will have 5 and 6 matches more than us before they end of February. We have no time to breath, there is no way they can physically and mentally cope with that,  City will still have another game in hand to fit in at some stage aswell. Mentally it will catch up on them. 

Get a good rest, hammer into Utd and everything will look rosy again.

• Downvote 1