You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

10 Best Pubs

mattyq

5 minutes ago, A Red said:

Yes thats the one. A Sam Smiths pub.

Used to work in Beverley years ago, out on work’s Christmas do one night and it was snowing quite heavy, we ended up in Nellies and I thought I’d stepped back in time  with the dimly lit gas lamps and coal fires, half expected to see Sherlock Holmes sat in one of the alcoves.

13 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Used to work in Beverley years ago, out on work’s Christmas do one night and it was snowing quite heavy, we ended up in Nellies and I thought I’d stepped back in time  with the dimly lit gas lamps and coal fires, half expected to see Sherlock Holmes sat in one of the alcoves.

I've not been in for 10 years, I hope its the same.

I did read that they banned mobile phones (fair enough) and swearing (fuck that)

I find this almost an impossibility. The prime recreational activity of my life has been pubs. Writing that seems almost pathetic,but it’s probably true.

I suspected for many lads in the UK, going the pub was the staple activity you did between teenage years and when ever you grew up, if you ever did grow up. I did and have grown up and at about 35 when I had kids, before that I traveled around pubs, the breadth of the country on shite away days, weekends, socials or just weekend at home.

There were times when the breath of pubs didn’t particularly change much, sure may have made it tens or even hundred per year, but quite often sometimes I centred them activity on no more than a handful of pubs over a year to 2. I have perhaps 4 or 5 seminal boozers I spent too much time and fucked about with mates, great times, great boozers, but not a great pubs. Only one of those is on this list

So my list is  just memorable pubs, not regular haunts, just pubs that are good for a visit and while I compile the list made the cut. Tomorrow any of them could disappear In favour of another choice. I wanted to put a boozer in town then, but I’ve really struggled to do so without thinking of some of the obvious, some of which have already been mentioned or because I didn’t actually spend that much time in before I moved away at the age of 18 or visited fleetingly since.

Ye Cracke - Town. Had to do one city centre pub. Always have always will enjoy it. Love that end of town now, not so much in the mid 90’s when I was going to town. It’s not everyone’s favourite pub but seems to make lists, there’s better pubs, better buildings, but it’s always been authentic to me.

The Montpellier - Brighton/Hove border. Spent a lot of time here, darts, good beers, welcoming in those days, no knobheads and loads of mates. Loads of good times 

Gallaghers - Birkenhead. Old school pub, camra boozer, once with a barbers, proper decent pub

Turf Locks - Exeter - out of town, next to the canal, perfect for all day drinking with none of the hassle of town

The Old Hill Inn - Chaple-le-dale - mid way/2 thirds through the Yorkshire Three Peaks. Remote, walkable on the Settle to Carlisle railway. Quite, roaring fire, pure escapism 

The Grenadier- Belgravia. Felt like I needed a small London boozer, could substitute it with a handful of others. Small pub, ‘haunted’, 2 mins and hidden from Hyde Park in a mews. Hidden gem in a busy city

York Tap - York. Could have went to loads of different pubs in York. But the York tap and the breath of the ales is fucking brilliant and many a time I’ve changed trains at York going to various shite football games all over the country and York Tap is a brilliant stop

Snowdrop Inn - Lewes - Dunno why. Lewes has dozens of good pubs you could choose from, Snowdrop has ace food, beer and is at the foot of a cliff face. Supposedly it’s called the snowdrop, because the largest avalanche ever in the UK, occurred  on the cliffs above it and killed a couple of people. 

Kings Head Islington - back in the day it was a real haunt. Before it got popular. You would see and mix with interesting/ went on to be serious artists/people and if you were in with the right people proper good stay backs with that crowd 

The Heart and Hand - Brighton - by no means the best pub in Brighton, not one I go to with friends, or when I have friends down in the city for a visit or when I’m meeting up with the gang. But if I just want a quiet pint of my own, listen to the jukebox, read a paper and particularly on a bank holiday Monday in summer in Brighton when it’s warm and I walk theough the North Laine on my own and escape for a pint or two this is where you’ll find me.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

I find this almost an impossibility. The prime recreational activity of my life has been pubs. Writing that seems almost pathetic,but it’s probably true.

I suspected for many lads in the UK, going the pub was the staple activity you did between teenage years and when ever you grew up, if you ever did grow up. I did and have grown up and at about 35 when I had kids, before that I traveled around pubs, the breadth of the country on shite away days, weekends, socials or just weekend at home.

There were times when the breath of pubs didn’t particularly change much, sure may have made it tens or even hundred per year, but quite often sometimes I centred them activity on no more than a handful of pubs over a year to 2. I have perhaps 4 or 5 seminal boozers I spent too much time and fucked about with mates, great times, great boozers, but not a great pubs. Only one of those is on this list

So my list is  just memorable pubs, not regular haunts, just pubs that are good for a visit and while I compile the list made the cut. Tomorrow any of them could disappear In favour of another choice. I wanted to put a boozer in town then, but I’ve really struggled to do so without thinking of some of the obvious, some of which have already been mentioned or because I didn’t actually spend that much time in before I moved away at the age of 18 or visited fleetingly since.

Ye Cracke - Town. Had to do one city centre pub. Always have always will enjoy it. Love that end of town now, not so much in the mid 90’s when I was going to town. It’s not everyone’s favourite pub but seems to make lists, there’s better pubs, better buildings, but it’s always been authentic to me.

The Montpellier - Brighton/Hove border. Spent a lot of time here, darts, good beers, welcoming in those days, no knobheads and loads of mates. Loads of good times 

Gallaghers - Birkenhead. Old school pub, camra boozer, once with a barbers, proper decent pub

Turf Locks - Exeter - out of town, next to the canal, perfect for all day drinking with none of the hassle of town

The Old Hill Inn - Chaple-le-dale - mid way/2 thirds through the Yorkshire Three Peaks. Remote, walkable on the Settle to Carlisle railway. Quite, roaring fire, pure escapism 

The Grenadier- Belgravia. Felt like I needed a small London boozer, could substitute it with a handful of others. Small pub, ‘haunted’, 2 mins and hidden from Hyde Park in a mews. Hidden gem in a busy city

York Tap - York. Could have went to loads of different pubs in York. But the York tap and the breath of the ales is fucking brilliant and many a time I’ve changed trains at York going to various shite football games all over the country and York Tap is a brilliant stop

Snowdrop Inn - Lewes - Dunno why. Lewes has dozens of good pubs you could choose from, Snowdrop has ace food, beer and is at the foot of a cliff face. Supposedly it’s called the snowdrop, because the largest avalanche ever in the UK, occurred  on the cliffs above it and killed a couple of people. 

Kings Head Islington - back in the day it was a real haunt. Before it got popular. You would see and mix with interesting/ went on to be serious artists/people and if you were in with the right people proper good stay backs with that crowd 

The Heart and Hand - Brighton - by no means the best pub in Brighton, not one I go to with friends, or when I have friends down in the city for a visit or when I’m meeting up with the gang. But if I just want a quiet pint of my own, listen to the jukebox, read a paper and particularly on a bank holiday Monday in summer in Brighton when it’s warm and I walk theough the North Laine on my own and escape for a pint or two this is where you’ll find me.

Repped for the effort 

15 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’m not a fan. Too busy and noisy for me.

What are your favourite Liverpool 

pubs, Code?

I have a few I usually drop by during a weekend, I usually just have a few each place. 

In no particular order.

The Crown Hotel on Lime Street. 
The Vines on Lime street.
Coopers on Cases street.

Ma Egertons on Lord Nelson street.

Lady of Mann on Dale street. 
The Club House at Liverpool One.

The Grapes on Mathew street (if open)

The Empire on Hanover street

The Hanover Hotel on Hanover street

I also go Ship & Mitre when Im walking down Dale street from Lord Nelson, but would not have it in my top 10 list of pubs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Code said:

I have a few I usually drop by during a weekend, I usually just have a few each place. 

In no particular order.

The Crown Hotel on Lime Street. 
The Vines on Lime street.
Coopers on Cases street.

Ma Egertons on Lord Nelson street.

Lady of Mann on Dale street. 
The Club House at Liverpool One.

The Grapes on Mathew street (if open)

The Empire on Hanover street

The Hanover Hotel on Hanover street

I also go Ship & Mitre when Im walking down Dale street from Lord Nelson, but would not have it in my top 10 list of pubs. 

Some great pubs there Code but yet again you are off you're most hypocritical head. 

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Some great pubs there Code but yet again you are off you're most hypocritical head. 

To be honest, as long as I get a seat and get served Im pretty happy.

I think the toilets at Ship and Mitre are really bad though. 

19 minutes ago, Code said:

To be honest, as long as I get a seat and get served Im pretty happy.

I think the toilets at Ship and Mitre are really bad though. 

Yeah thats Sugar Apes dick popping through. 

I'll take you The Liffey next time you're over for a game. 

In Kyiv, Ukraine I went to this bar and had the traffic lights with helmet "cocktail". I don't remember the annoying whistling though, and I also remember being brained with a keg. The place also did shots of vodka served in giant syringes by barmaids wearing nurse outfits:

Ferry Tavern in Sankey, right by the Mersey with the canal behind it, people stopping off for a pint on a walk or a bike ride.

I'm not a fan of pubs to be honest, the ones I'm familiar with fall into three broad categories.

(1) Moss Eisley types like you get in Speke, a pub with a taxi company attached where the drivers run drugs.

(2) old men's pubs like you had in Widnes. Fosters or carling on tap and victory gin on the optic, pensioner punters who've all been sat at the same table with their mates since they were 17, talking about rugby and horses. Used to go in one where they paid the elderly glass collector by letting him drink your dregs. Food menu was scampi fries and pepperami.

(3) Bland "do you have a table number" food pubs full of mums with their kids. Pasta al fredo in the microwave for mum while the brat plays with the menu.

Not for me Clive.

I much prefer the idea of the American bar than the British pub. You can sit at the bar, eat nuts and watch telly without looking odd. You still can't really sit in a British pub on your own without looking like a weirdo, plus there's nothing to do except stare out the window and avoid the intermittent smell of piss from the bogs as the door opens and closes.

the-ferry-tavern-and.jpg

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Ferry Tavern in Sankey, right by the Mersey with the canal behind it, people stopping off for a pint on a walk or a bike ride.

I'm not a fan of pubs to be honest, the ones I'm familiar with fall into three broad categories.

(1) Moss Eisley types like you get in Speke, a pub with a taxi company attached where the drivers run drugs.

(2) old men's pubs like you had in Widnes. Fosters or carling on tap and victory gin on the optic, pensioner punters who've all been sat at the same table with their mates since they were 17, talking about rugby and horses. Used to go in one where they paid the elderly glass collector by letting him drink your dregs. Food menu was scampi fries and pepperami.

(3) Bland "do you have a table number" food pubs full of mums with their kids. Pasta al fredo in the microwave for mum while the brat plays with the menu.

Not for me Clive.

I much prefer the idea of the American bar than the British pub. You can sit at the bar, eat nuts and watch telly without looking odd. You still can't really sit in a British pub on your own without looking like a weirdo, plus there's nothing to do except stare out the window and avoid the intermittent smell of piss from the bogs as the door opens and closes.

the-ferry-tavern-and.jpg

Ferry Tavern is a great shout, love it there in the summer and the food is great.

Also, the music festivals they run twice yearly are a great day out.

• Upvote 1

On 02/01/2021 at 09:43, Mook said:

The Star Bar - Edinburgh

Burlington Bertie's - Edinburgh (RIP)

The Dog House - Edinburgh

The Antiquary- Edinburgh

The Phoenix - Edinburgh (RIP)

The Ormelie Tavern - Portobello 

Jimmy's Corner - New York

The Globe - Liverpool

The Grove - Liverpool

The Circus Tavern - Manchester 

No place for The Centurion on Newcastle station, Mook?

15 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd love to remember what pub I ended up in pissed in New York when my ex fell asleep. 

The only one I remember getting bevvied in was Eric's Bar, good jukebox too. 

I mentioned it to some girl a few weeks ago and she said we had a few in there strangely enough.