You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

10 Best Pubs

mattyq

The Dolphin - Old Portsmouth 

The Purple Turtle - Reading

The Liffey - Town

The Apsley - Southsea

The Lawrence Arms - Southsea

The Brazen Head - Glasgow

The Kings Arms - Torpoint

The Cornmarket - Town

The Ship & Mitre - Town

The Froddington Arms - Fratton 

11 hours ago, an tha said:

In no particular order:

The Croc

The Cock and Bottle (Wavertree)

The Black Horse (Old Swan)

Ship and Mitre

Jolly Farmers (Purley Greater London)

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (Fleet St London)

The Ship (Croydon)

The Clock Face (Prescot)

The Rose (Wavertree)

The White Swan (Twickenham)

Good pub The Clock but The Sun Inn just up the road is better, completely different but... 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

The Dolphin - Old Portsmouth 

The Purple Turtle - Reading

The Liffey - Town

The Apsley - Southsea

The Lawrence Arms - Southsea

The Brazen Head - Glasgow

The Kings Arms - Torpoint

The Cornmarket - Town

The Ship & Mitre - Town

The Froddington Arms - Fratton 

I remember the Apsley fondly 

Could never go into The Froddington as I was spotted by some of the kid's parents one time and the next day it was , 'Sir, my Dad saw you getting drunk in the pub last night' which put a bit of a downer on it.

The Purple Turtle of the infamous lezzer night and just a few days after Thatcher died. 

1 minute ago, manwiththestick said:

The County Inn - Peebles

Drunken Duck - Ambleside 

The Ship Inn - Red Wharf Bay

Ty Coch Inn - Pwllheli 

Hole in t' Wall - Bowness

The Central Inn - Newquay

I know the Ship Inn. Great location & food. Heaving in the summer

15 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I haven’t been to any of these pubs for a number of years, so they might have changed hands, been refurbished or totally altered. The Yorkshire Terrier no longer exists.

1. The Blue Bell, York

2. The Lion Tavern, Liverpool

3. Ye Olde Mire, Holborn, London 

4. Baltic Fleet, Liverpool

5. Peveril of the Peak, Manchester 

6. The Cutty Sark, Greenwich, London

7. The Yorkshire Terrier, York

8. Blind Jack’s, Knaresborough

9. The Goathland Hotel, Goathland, North Yorkshire

10. The Three Mariners, Hythe, Kent

Mattyq jumped the gun  !!

Here's mine in no particular order....

Kirkstile Inn  Lakes

Mortal Man   Lakes

Turks Head  Scillies

Mermaid   Scillies

Lion Tavern  Town

Philharmonic  Town

Baltic Fleet Town

Ship and Mitre  Town

White Hart   SE19

Farmers Arms Wirral 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

The County Inn - Peebles

Drunken Duck - Ambleside 

The Ship Inn - Red Wharf Bay

Ty Coch Inn - Pwllheli 

Hole in t' Wall - Bowness

The Central Inn - Newquay

Get you and The DrunkenDuck. One of my favourite stops in the Lakes

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

I remember the Apsley fondly 

Could never go into The Froddington as I was spotted by some of the kid's parents one time and the next day it was , 'Sir, my Dad saw you getting drunk in the pub last night' which put a bit of a downer on it.

The Purple Turtle of the infamous lezzer night and just a few days after Thatcher died. 

Great pub The Apsley. Cracking pool table and juke-box. 

The Froddies had a great pool table and jukey as well. Bit rough but a good laugh on the right night. 

The Purple Turtle I've been in a few times and every time has been eventful for all the right reasons. It will come as no surprise to anyone who has frequented the Purple Turtle that this happened outside and the fella just walked in the pub. 

• Like 1

I don't go out enough these days to have 5 favourites, let alone 10. I immediately have a soft spot for any country pub that I've stopped at with the family which serves food and a local ale, after a long day at some farm park in the middle of nowhere. Honourable mentions to The Globe opposite Central Station in town which reminds me of my arl feller (he used to meet me in there whenever I came home from Uni); and The Anchor on the south bank near Southwark which is great for sitting upstairs and people watching during a walk along the Thames.

Some of my favourites over the years in no particular order -

Nags Head - Malvern

Nellies (White Hart) - Beverley

Blue Anchor - Helston

The Ship - Portheven

Sun Inn - Beverley

Bonny Boat - Hull

Swan with 2 Nicks - Worcester

Green Dragon - Beverley

Admiral Benbow - Penzance

Ye Olde Black Boy - Hull

20 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I haven’t been to any of these pubs for a number of years, so they might have changed hands, been refurbished or totally altered. The Yorkshire Terrier no longer exists.

1. The Blue Bell, York

2. The Lion Tavern, Liverpool

3. Ye Olde Mire, Holborn, London 

4. Baltic Fleet, Liverpool

5. Peveril of the Peak, Manchester 

6. The Cutty Sark, Greenwich, London

7. The Yorkshire Terrier, York

8. Blind Jack’s, Knaresborough

9. The Goathland Hotel, Goathland, North Yorkshire

10. The Three Mariners, Hythe, Kent

Number 5 is a belter, I work just down the road from the Pev, only been in once, but it's spot on!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Ha ha

1. The Eagle, Cambridge, not far from the main tourist stuff, oldy world pub with decent beer and a mix of Harry Potter students and tourists. 

2. The Alma, Cambridge. When I lived down there it was good for watching footy, had meals that would choke a horse. Also had a sealed up red phone box that doubled up as a fish tank. Mesmerising once you've had a few beers.

3. The White Hart, St Ives in Cambridgeshire. I basically became a fat bastard because if this place. Massive meals, decent beer and was a B&B. Had a nice South African barmaid with massive tits. 

4. The Floods Tavern, St Ives in Cambridgeshire. Decent locals, always had a laugh in there and watched footy in there no problem despite my scouse accent. Had a long beer garden that backed onto the river with a boat station at the end. Was brilliant in the summer.

5. Warrington hotel in Maida Vale. First went there about 20 years ago as I booked an apartment round there. Gordon Ramsey used to own it then. The decor in there is amazing and a proper oldy world pub. It was featured on an episode of the Sweeney once with a massive pub brawl. Surprisingly cheap for a pint (£4.20) given it is in a posh part of London. 

6. The Prince Alfred, Maida Vale. Just opposite Warwick Avenue tube station, it's a listed building with Marble interiors, good beer too. 

7. The Golden Lion Inn, West Kirby. Weirdest beer garden ever with ponds and model boats, ancient pub inside with wooden beams and seats.

8. Freshfield Hotel, Freshfield. Always a favourite on the Liverpool to Southport train ride pub crawl. Always tend to go in the summer and bumped into Kenny Dalglish there once. 

9. Cornmarket in town. Me and my mate go there regularly for dinner which is always spot on. Bar staff are nice and they have a good selection of beer. 

10. Sam's bar in Old Hall Street, now a Costa Coffee. Managed to pull quite a few women from work in there and a few non work women. Had a couple of pool tables, karaoke and cheap food. Gutted  when it closed. 

Honorable mentions to The Lisbon (pure comedy value), thr Poste House (Hitlers old pub), the Flying Scotsman in London (strippers who only get their kit off once everyone fills a pint glass with pound coins), the Grapes in Formby (good night out back in the day),  Ma Boyles, Blind Beggar in Whitechapel and the George in Crosby where i first illegally and legally drunk

Ah Sam's Bar, memories!

1 hour ago, A Red said:

Some of my favourites over the years in no particular order -

Nags Head - Malvern

Nellies (White Hart) - Beverley

Blue Anchor - Helston

The Ship - Portheven

Sun Inn - Beverley

Bonny Boat - Hull

Swan with 2 Nicks - Worcester

Green Dragon - Beverley

Admiral Benbow - Penzance

Ye Olde Black Boy - Hull

Nellies in Beverley, is that the one lit by gas lamps and coal fires?

The Royal George, staithes, North Yorkshire 

The dragon Inn, Tallaght village, Dublin 

Underdog, Dublin City Centre 

The Royal Oak, Kilmainham, Dublin 

Bierhaus, Cork City, Ireland 

Billies bier Kafetiera, Antwerp, belgium

Beer temple, Amsterdam 

Slats, railway avenue, inchicore, Dublin

Station 1280, Antwerp, belgium

Beerlovers bar, Antwerp, belgium 

No favourites, all great in their own right, and all places I've had a good night getting drunk with friends. What I'd fucking give for a night out with my mates again......