You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Travel bucket list

elvis

45 minutes ago, mattyq said:

I sailed across the Atlantic on a sailboat back in 2012 and the longest stretch was from the Cape Verde Isles to Barbados. Took about 13 days. When you're on Watch obviously you're helming and/or trimming the sails and then you're cooking or doing the domestic chores which leaves a lot of time to just sit and stare out at the ocean.

The pace of life just shifts right down and you get sucked into the whole experience. You find yourself staring out into nothingness for hours at a time. I should imagine it's similar to meditation.

When we got to Barbados I was gutted as the journey was over

That sounds fantastic.

21 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That sounds fantastic.

It was. Best thing I've ever done

At the start in the Channel and then Biscay it was stormy as fuck and the boat was all over the place. You're tethered up so you can't get swept over board but I was shitting myself for a week solid. Wet, freezing, not much sleep... a real baptism of fire

Then you get through and down to Portugal where the sun comes out and all of a sudden life's peachy

Land at Porto, get smashed for a few days, land at Cascais same sort of thing then you're down off the coast of Africa with the Trade Winds blowing at your back and you're cutting through the water at 15 knots

Magical

4 hours ago, JagSquared said:

Yep for the same reasons I would like to go to the Stans, just somewhere that isn’t the same. 

I had a bizarre 8 hour layover in Turkmenistan years ago and would like to see more of it as it seemed alien.

One of the reasons I'd like to see Cuba , I'd be in heaven watching all those old American cars driving around . 

Unfortunately my "wife" lacks any sense of adventure unless it involves guzzling down wine at all times of the day 

6 hours ago, mattyq said:

I sailed across the Atlantic on a sailboat back in 2012 and the longest stretch was from the Cape Verde Isles to Barbados. Took about 13 days. When you're on Watch obviously you're helming and/or trimming the sails and then you're cooking or doing the domestic chores which leaves a lot of time to just sit and stare out at the ocean.

The pace of life just shifts right down and you get sucked into the whole experience. You find yourself staring out into nothingness for hours at a time. I should imagine it's similar to meditation.

When we got to Barbados I was gutted as the journey was over

The night sky must be brilliant out at sea, I've always wanted to see it, in all its splendour. 

A little tour round Italy. 

Venice, across to Verona and Lake Garda, up to the Dolomites and then down to Tuscany for Florence and Siena. Then jump on a short flight to Sardinia to take in some of the beaches and clear, blue water. 

Also, while it's traditionally been associated with older people, Madeira looks boss for a bit of hiking and coastal walks. 

3 hours ago, elvis said:

One of the reasons I'd like to see Cuba , I'd be in heaven watching all those old American cars driving around . 

Unfortunately my "wife" lacks any sense of adventure unless it involves guzzling down wine at all times of the day 

Go on a 2 week all inclusive and let her get smashed on wine. You can do a 2 or 3 day trip to Havana on your own. 

I went in 2006, stayed in Cayo Coco then did the trip to Havana on and old propeller plane. Havana is a great place but the poverty is bad.

I bought a choc ice and couldnt be arsed eating it, threw it in the bin and two lads about 8 ran over to grab it out the bin. In my very limited Spanish I offered to buy them one each but they ran off with the dirty one I had thrown in the bin.