You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2020: Positive Memories and/or Reflections?

YorkshireRed

We all know the last year has been difficult.

Some challenging times for all of us and downright horrific experiences for a few members of this little community. 

It’s not been all bad though, for me the first lockdown in particular provided a chance to spend quality time with the family, something I’ve not always been the best at. The lovely weather meant my daily walks with the wife, exploring our local area, were a foundation for one of the happier periods of our nearly two decades relationship. Family games of cards after home cooked meals became really important to me, especially if I won. 

I also took some small steps towards redeeming myself on here after previous misdemeanours. Still some way to go, I take nothing for granted, but this place has become ever more important to me, which increases the sense of shame towards my previous incarnation around these parts. 

Oh yes, a mention for No.19 in the unmentionable. Glad I could share it with all of you. 

This intro ended up being a bit longer than I intended but what are your positive memories or reflections on what has been the most unusual of years?

Happy New Year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

The first 2 months of lockdown over here coincided with some beautiful dry warm weather. We live out in the country with lots of little roads and laneways so were able to go out walking every day with the dog as i was working from home and the Mrs job closed down due to Covid. Really got to appreciate the landscape and nature. Looking back it was a lovely peaceful time spent together that we wouldn't normally have got.

• Upvote 8

The Black Lives Matter movement finally gained a bit of traction. 

Over the years we've seen black people being murdered by Police, leading to a few days of protest before the news cycle moves on and everyone forgets what people were angry about. Rinse and repeat.

This time, more people and organisations seem to have cottoned on to the idea that racism is pervasive and shit and that it's time to do something about that.

• Upvote 2

I had my son Eli in February and he is already walking. More impressive than that is that he has managed to block the toilet on a couple of occasions.

I often work in my pants (underwear to you northerners). 

No one in my family got Covid. 

• Upvote 8

Meh. My lot aren’t a ‘walking family’ but I felt compelled to do it during the lockdown as it was one of the only means of getting the kids out of the house. Much more fun was having water fights on the front and BBQ’s in the garden. The home schooling was great at first but by the time the summer holidays rolled around it had got to the stage where it was a chore and wasn’t enjoyable for anyone involved. Big shout out to all the teachers on here. Legit heroes.

Lost a couple of family members, with only one allowed a proper funeral/wake. Although it wasn’t nice losing my great uncle, the ability to catch up with the rest of my family actually turned out to be a positive. Mad year. 

Took the kids to London for a couple of days when everything opened up again briefly and did some touristy type stuff. That’s turning into a bit of a tradition and hopefully next year we’ll be able to catch a West End show. I think they’d love that. 

I’ve spoken about my health on here before but this year has been OK with hardly any progression. Long may that continue. The whole Covid shit hasn’t helped my missus on the long road back from her nervous breakdown/serious mental health shit, nor has the fact she’s piled loads of weight on. It’s just given her something else to be depressed about. We have had a nice Christmas though and I’m hoping it’s a corner turned and we’re starting a big health kick on the 2nd of January (Tomorrow is one of the kid’s birthdays and takeaway Chinese has been chosen). My one wish for the new year is to have her back to her old self. Sounds stupid but I just want my girlfriend back. 

Another league title and European Cup wouldn’t go amiss either, provided we’re allowed to have a fucking big party in town afterwards. Another thing I’m desperate for is the Dwayne Johnson diamond painting to get through Canadian customs unscathed and take its place on NP’s wall. 

I’ve managed to drone on more than Blog Wanker here. Fuck sake. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

From a purely selfish point of view I have got to spend time with family that was otherwise impossible, we won the unmentionable after 30 years, I have the house and garden in great nick and I don’t personally know anyone that was seriously ill or worse from Covid. There have been some shitty moments of course were I thought my head could go here but overall I will look back with fond memories *

*Once the end of this shit is near and this isn't just the beginning. 

• Upvote 3

A lot of negative memories as it's easily been the worst year of my life.

It started well as my father in law paid for a family holiday to Morocco which was a great break and somewhere we had wanted to go for a couple of years. 

After promising my daughter for 4 years that we would go to Paris we went in the first week in March and she absolutely loved it. It was nice seeing her happy as she hasn't had the best of times recently.

Some of my mates have been really helpful and supportive this year and have helped get through a lot of dark days. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

I had my son Eli in February and he is already walking. More impressive than that is that he has managed to block the toilet on a couple of occasions.

I often work in my pants (underwear to you northerners). 

No one in my family got Covid. 

I've made it sound like I gave birth to him. About time I got some credit for the process to be fair

• Upvote 1

It's been one of the most difficult years of my life and mentally very draining from a few personal problems I don't want to get specific about, coupled with nearly dying from Covid (and all the paranoia about having more clots in the aftermath, which is beginning to subside now). It's made me more resilient, as getting through bad shit generally does.

Everyone's had it rough, some more than others but I've learned all you can do is keep getting up in the morning and get on with things, nothing stays the same forever.

• Upvote 7

Truly terrible year whichever way you look at it and in the same year that we ended the torturous wait that takes some doing. With that being said I think as we come out of it properly which in my opinion will be the summer then the true horror will really start, the economic fallout from all of this will be something none of us have ever seen. 

• Upvote 1

I've mentioned my Grandaughter being born in the other thread and thats my year's highlight but I got a video call from my closest friend and fellow red who'd had Coronavirus and then a massive stroke and I am glad to say he's on the mend. He can't form his words again yet and is very frustrated by this, but just the fact he's still around and on the road to recovery is a massive plus and I hope 2021 is the year we can get together again and have a good old chinwag about footy and politics. It's the things and people especially, you take for granted that you appreciate the most when there is a chance of losing them.

• Upvote 2