You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (A) - Premier League 04/2021 - 20:00

Bjornebye

Shit as we were and deserving of the loss, the mane incident and the handball are both penalties this season. Its fucking outrageous that pogba penalty was given and pundits defended it yet ours weren't given and the pundits defended that. The inconsistency has completely corrupted results and therefore the game. The fact the inconsistency consistently benefits one side and hampers another begs questions. Put penalties and free kicks to one side the amount of fouls that are allowed to be committed against salah and Mane and be completely ignored when compared to whats given against other players is obscene. The club needs to make a video package highlighting inconsistencies and send it to the Premier league asking for reasoning because no way is this a case of "it all evens out" we are being officiated by different rules, mane and salah especially are being officiated by different rules.

Based on what the rules used to be in the olden days of handball having to be deliberate I'd be of the mind that it's not a penalty.

But this season we've had the Mane goal that got ruled out because it just skimmed his hand and it's disallowed as they seemed to have gone for the fact that any time it touches it's now a handball but that's changed now. 

They are just making the rules up on a week by week basis with zero consistency.

VAR seems to have just stopped being used as well, they've gone from almost everything being a massive wait and forensically investigated to seemingly barely even using it now. 

The FA and the referee people need to sort their shit out. 

• Upvote 2

The second foul on Mane was a clear penalty. Walker-Peters clearly catches his legs from behind. If anyone thinks that wasn’t a penalty Dr Anubis prescribes my patented Acid Eyeball Wash which will remove both the shit from your eyes and also your eyeballs because you don’t deserve to watch any further football.

Kind Regards

Dr Anubis

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

What was the Mane incident? Didn't think the handball from Stephens was ever going to be given, myself. Far too close to him.

They gave a pen against Joe for the same thing. Gini thought it was clear handball and a pen. That's good enough for me.

For the life of me, I dont see how Pogba gets a pen against Villa when Sadio has two similar challenges and the ref waves no foul and VAR glosses over it.

9 hours ago, an tha said:

I honestly think we need to have a word with Mane and Salah about how they go down and when.

Yeah it is fucking rubbish this has to be an issue, but it is and it is my view that our players are not as 'clever' (hate phrase but it is sadly a part of it now) as mancs.

They either stay on feet and get fuck all or they fall theatrically and get fuck all.....they need to work on going down and when do the falls being less theatrical - i noticed again tonight Mane was flat on his belly both arms stretched out in front of him, maybe better if just fell a bit more on side/with arms closer to body....seems to be way mancs players go down.

Yeah its rubbish it is like this, but we've got to play this game the way the rubbish officials are forcing us to.

I honestly dont know how you teach a player to dive properly so as they win a pen. The refs will just see it as simulation or theatrics, still not give the pen, wave a yellow card and still tell their mates to watch 'that pair' because they are diving.

How does Wellbeck get a pen for that contact with Robbo? He stays on his feet, takes two steps then falls to the ground. Pogba's pen against Villa is virtually identical to one on Sadio last night. Personally, I dont see how one's a pen yet the other isnt. They are either both pens or they are both not.

10 hours ago, Grinch said:

They're always poor cause the bench is always shite.

I wonder why. 

Agree that the bench isn't awesome - but we have to work with what we have. We could have played three at the back for the last 20 mins and moved Hendo into middle - to allow Thiago a bit more freedom in a more forward position.

Or brought on a young CB and allowed Hendo into midfield.

The like-for-like subs were just a bit...meh.

17 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I honestly dont know how you teach a player to dive properly so as they win a pen. The refs will just see it as simulation or theatrics, still not give the pen, wave a yellow card and still tell their mates to watch 'that pair' because they are diving.

How does Wellbeck get a pen for that contact with Robbo? He stays on his feet, takes two steps then falls to the ground. Pogba's pen against Villa is virtually identical to one on Sadio last night. Personally, I dont see how one's a pen yet the other isnt. They are either both pens or they are both not.

I think it is more a case of not falling so theatrically - the arched back, the hands stretched out.

These things are in refs minds about 'winning a penalty' and i think they go against players.

As I said it is shite this has to be a consideration as a foul is a foul and should be punished...but the playing field is not level sadly and incompetence reigns and i just think we could be cleverer - you are right about Pogba and Mane but look at how they both fall....

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

They are just making the rules up on a week by week basis with zero consistency.

VAR seems to have just stopped being used as well, they've gone from almost everything being a massive wait and forensically investigated to seemingly barely even using it now. 

The FA and the referee people need to sort their shit out. 

I've noticed this since Xmas hardly anything is being referred and they are just going with the on field decision. 

Even really tight offsides arent even getting the matrix lines any more.

If it means that they are going with the original ' clear and obvious ' idea I am ok with this, but the problem is that the Baldy Brexit Brothers on MoTD will moan about something on Saturday night and everything will change again.

It shows how bad the rest are that we're still at the top of the table despite some abject performances since the restart. 

I still don't think Manchester United are a title risk, though they could well finish above us now unless something changes drastically.

The problem for us now would be Manchester City going on one of their 10 match winning streaks, as I don't think we could live with it. They don't have to worry about player absences either. (Also, I'd still take them winning it over Manchester United). 

6 minutes ago, Dave D said:

United going top will ramp up the pressure on them- and hopefully teams starting putting in the same kind of shift they do against us.

And double up on Fernandes  

To be fair it's hard to double up on Fernandes when he's taking a penalty 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skaro said:

They've definitely changed the way they're going about VAR.

Unannounced, unexplained, mid-season.

Quite outrageous really.

Perhaps Stockley Park gets a mid-season break.

Changing the handball rule should also involve restrospectively disallowing penaltys awarded under the former rule, with any resultant goal being struck off. You can't change a bad law without restitution for the damage it has done. We want our extra two points from the Etihad game ....and we want them NOW!!!