You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (A) - Premier League 04/2021 - 20:00

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, therevivalist said:

Who else is impressed by Hassenhuttl, though? I was watching his post-match BBC interview and he was in tears (of joy) of course. But he looks like someone with great passion for the game as well as a good footballing brain seeing the way he has got his team playing attractive, attacking football. Probably the most improved side of the season. I would consider him a candidate as Klopp's successor. What do you think?

No.  They don't play attractive attacking football in the slightest and he hasn't done a thing that wilder didn't last season.

Then again when you're Southampton manager, it doesn't matter that you're sitting mid table and can't score against West ham or Fulham. 

18 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

Yeah remember him spouting that slightly less than impartial bullshit, suppose you could swap out Man U replace with LFC and the same thing flies but it was weird at the time and doesn’t help your thinking when you see the bizarre decisions going for and against teams this season. I just wish as a club we acted bigger sometimes, stop the stiff upper lip bollocks and being afraid of twats on twitter calling us whingers. All clubs whinge fact! I said it the other day I’ll say it again, Klopp needs to put the spotlight on these bad calls before we play the Manc Twats.

It was an utterly stupid comment to make by scudamore. Has an NBA, NFL or Baseball commissioner ever come out and said, 'yeah, this is our biggest team and we want it to continue winning because it's great for the brand'?

Whichever way you look at it, scudamore's comments were insane on every level. The only ones to like it would be manc fans. Nearly everyone else would go 'well what's the fucking point?' which would surely drive away fans, viewers and sponsorship.

Moreover, it adds weight to the conspiracy theory behind united's fergie time, spurs goal being 3 foot in the back of the united net and play being waved on were not just incompetent refs.

But as Ive said before, I think what we're seeing with us having penalty shouts ignored yet united getting shed loads is unconscious bias by refs. They see other refs giving united pens and go yep, nailed on in their game. They see Mo or Sadio being hauled down and go nope, he trailled a leg or it's not clear and obvious.

It stinks whether it is a conspiracy theory or just unconcious bias. Not sure Jurgen going to war with refs and riley would make any difference. Riley told Kenny to fuck off in his 2nd spell after he flagged up concerns. And like I said before, it's not a coincidence friend became the first PL ref to book Jurgen and we've had frankly piss poor decisions by refs since.

Mariner tonight was an utter joke.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It was an utterly stupid comment to make by scudamore. Has an NBA, NFL or Baseball commissioner ever come out and said, 'yeah, this is our biggest team and we want it to continue winning because it's great for the brand'?

Whichever way you look at it, scudamore's comments were insane on every level. The only ones to like it would be manc fans. Nearly everyone else would go 'well what's the fucking point?' which would surely drive away fans, viewers and sponsorship.

Moreover, it adds weight to the conspiracy theory behind united's fergie time, spurs goal being 3 foot in the back of the united net and play being waved on were not just incompetent refs.

But as Ive said before, I think what we're seeing with us having penalty shouts ignored yet united getting shed loads is unconscious bias by refs. They see other refs giving united pens and go yep, nailed on in their game. They see Mo or Sadio being hauled down and go nope, he trailled a leg or it's not clear and obvious.

It stinks whether it is a conspiracy theory or just unconcious bias. Not sure Jurgen going to war with refs and riley would make any difference. Riley told Kenny to fuck off in his 2nd spell after he flagged up concerns. And like I said before, it's not a coincidence friend became the first PL ref to book Jurgen and we've had frankly piss poor decisions by refs since.

Mariner tonight was an utter joke.

Yeah subconscious bias like that, suppose all players feel the wrath of it compounded by lazy punditry and journalism etc but it sort of adds weight to my point when you mention Ferguson. You think he’d be staying silent on some of the decisions being made? Maybe it’s not in Klopps make up to be an utter bastard like Sirallicks, maybe it’s impossible to do without mates in the media backing your position up. Maybe we need a better press officer as well as a centre back!

I honestly think we need to have a word with Mane and Salah about how they go down and when.

Yeah it is fucking rubbish this has to be an issue, but it is and it is my view that our players are not as 'clever' (hate phrase but it is sadly a part of it now) as mancs.

They either stay on feet and get fuck all or they fall theatrically and get fuck all.....they need to work on going down and when do the falls being less theatrical - i noticed again tonight Mane was flat on his belly both arms stretched out in front of him, maybe better if just fell a bit more on side/with arms closer to body....seems to be way mancs players go down.

Yeah its rubbish it is like this, but we've got to play this game the way the rubbish officials are forcing us to.

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

His mistake for the goal aside, Trent gave the ball away 38 times tonight. A record for any Premier League player this season.

I believe that's what I heard on commentary, at any rate.

If so, that's absolutely embarrassing... 

And pointless talking about since there's no back up right back. 

47 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Oh it's such a conspiracy again. 

Why did they let the second biggest club in England be utter shite for the majority of 30 years? 

Boofuckinghoo

No one to blame for this mess other than the stupid cunts who thought it was fine to persist with 3 centre backs, no full back cover, play solanke and stutridge for years, give mignolet 200 games. 

But yea, tinfoil hat on.  Its all the fa's fault that Liverpool ran 13 players into the ground.  Built their squad like a shakey deck of cards and sat back and watched as it all fell apart. 

obviously not read my post you bell. No fans, every game televised, the Premier League don’t want 1 team running away with this league. It’ll be bad for the viewing figures, Fuck all to do with the last 30 years. This is gonna be the most competetive league for yonks. They’re making it that way, just look at some of the decisions. It’s the only conclusion I can come to. 

4 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

obviously not read my post you bell. No fans, every game televised, the Premier League don’t want 1 team running away with this league. It’ll be bad for the viewing figures, Fuck all to do with the last 30 years. This is gonna be the most competetive league for yonks. They’re making it that way, just look at some of the decisions. It’s the only conclusion I can come to. 

No its not, City are going to win it by about 15 points. 

They're a small club that no one gives a fuck about.  Won't do much for the oul viewing figures. 

2 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Some of those results were after we got crowned Champions. We could have lost every game after it got confirmed and it wouldn't have mattered.

I know we are all pissed off tonight, but I think calling the team mediocre is too harsh. It's a testament to them that Liverpool are even still in the mix despite all the injuries and poor decisions against us this season.

In ordinary circumstances, I would agree. But there was basically no preseason. And our form this season is consistent with our form at the end of last. In any case, I think we lost form before the title was secured and don't think we've recovered it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Of course

Oh look, it's the wee virgin looking for attention in another thread. 

Imagine your life being so empty that you have to latch onto a foreign club back in 2005, post on their message boards, arguing how right you are and pretending to watch every league under the sun. 

I'm sorry lad, go out, there more to life X

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

Oh look, it's the wee virgin looking for attention in another thread. 

Imagine your life being so empty that you have to latch onto a foreign club back in 2005, post on their message boards, arguing how right you are and pretending to watch every league under the sun. 

I'm sorry lad, go out, there more to life X

Of course

We’re the champions. Every man and his dog wants a sniff - and when they see weakness, which we can't deny we have, mainly because of key injury disruption, compounded with some off form - other teams are going to be like vultures.

It’s the price paid for getting back on the perch. We’ll pull out a few top draw performances against the real contenders, so lets not go on about conspiracies.

I got slated on the US election topic for suggesting Trump might have a case for cheating, and now here we are debating whether the FA are all in for Utd at any cost thru the refs? Give me a break.

This season is unique. That’s quarantine. I don’t believe for one minute that if we’d played at Anfield to a packed house at every home game, and had a good volume of away support, that we’d be in this so called predicament.

Its a cliche but when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Our lads are tougher than we’re currently wanting to give them credit for being.

Thats my 5p. Rant over.

30 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

@Herp McDerp you repped that shit rant against me? Come on, man. Thought we were cool. 

Nope I repped it because it was revenge negged by a revenge-negging cumstain. Which reminds me I need to go look for 10 posts of his to neg. Cheers for the reminder, hopefully by the end of this year him and I will be bumchums with the lowest rep scores on here.

If we were playing well, I'd be really pissed off with all the "conspiracies" against us, some of which, who knows, may well have some substance: TV wanting a tight title race, refs, VAR, Man City getting themselves a rest last week, favouritism towards Man Utd etc etc... 

BUT, we're not playing well.  

So, that's the only thing pissing me off, along with and because of injuries to VvD and Jota. And if the truth be known, given the pathetic blanks we've been firing lately and the shot in the arm our squad badly needed from last season, I'm probably most fuming about the injury to Jota... which is entirely OUR OWN doing.

Beyond that, I have much better things to be angry about than officialdom favouring Manchester, or TV ratings, or whatever.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, skaro said:

If we were playing well, I'd be really pissed off with all the "conspiracies" against us, some of which, who knows, may well have some substance: TV wanting a tight title race, refs, VAR, Man City getting themselves a rest last week, favouritism towards Man Utd etc etc... 

BUT, we're not playing well.  

So, that's the only thing pissing me off, along with and because of injuries to VvD and Jota. And if the truth be known, given the pathetic blanks we've been firing lately and the shot in the arm our squad badly needed from last season, I'm probably most fuming about the injury to Jota... which is entirely OUR OWN doing.

Beyond that, I have much better things to be angry about than officialdom favouring Manchester, or TV ratings, or whatever.

Yup, another match with just 1 shot on target. We've been poor for a while now.

6 hours ago, an tha said:

Just looked at ours and City's games between now and us playing them in Feb.

Fucking hell.

I know. A few people have been saying ‘we’re top of the league, dont get hysterical’ after the Fulham and WBA games. Well, hysterical or not, I’m pretty sure dropping the points we have over the last few weeks, against some proper poor teams, gives us a mountain to climb here.

That said, this league looks a bit odd this year, and other teams fuck up on a regular basis as well, so if we get back to form we can still win it. City is probably the main worry though, they are capable of going on a long winning run.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, therevivalist said:

Who else is impressed by Hassenhuttl, though? I was watching his post-match BBC interview and he was in tears (of joy) of course. But he looks like someone with great passion for the game as well as a good footballing brain seeing the way he has got his team playing attractive, attacking football. Probably the most improved side of the season. I would consider him a candidate as Klopp's successor. What do you think?

He was called ‘the Austrian Klopp’ when he arrived here.

2 hours ago, Red Shift said:

We’re the champions. Every man and his dog wants a sniff - and when they see weakness, which we can't deny we have, mainly because of key injury disruption, compounded with some off form - other teams are going to be like vultures.

It’s the price paid for getting back on the perch. We’ll pull out a few top draw performances against the real contenders, so lets not go on about conspiracies.

I got slated on the US election topic for suggesting Trump might have a case for cheating, and now here we are debating whether the FA are all in for Utd at any cost thru the refs? Give me a break.

This season is unique. That’s quarantine. I don’t believe for one minute that if we’d played at Anfield to a packed house at every home game, and had a good volume of away support, that we’d be in this so called predicament.

Its a cliche but when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Our lads are tougher than we’re currently wanting to give them credit for being.

Thats my 5p. Rant over.

You deserve stick for the notion of Trump being ousted by 'cheating' given how he and Bush Jr were elected themselves. Relating that to our not getting decisions is chalk and cheese.

Yes we were shit but fucking hell I'm still raging at the ref after a sleep. Mancs get at least one penalty from that game, if not two. 

They didn't even fucking check them. 

And that disgraceful two footed lunge on Milner at the end not even a foul. Fucking hell

Guest Alex_K

Hassenhuttl is great. Comparing the structure & dynamism of his team with Wilder's efforts at Sheffield is, well, laughable.

I was confident we'd win the title by 10 points this season, heavily caveated with keeping the first 11 fit in the manner we have the previous 3 seasons. What is unfolding is a bit difficult to discern. We're not playing badly - we're dominating the ball, getting into dangerous positions, regardless of opposition. At the end we're not getting enough bodies into the box though, presumably because of the structural fear with the defence as it is, so chiefly not getting enough goals. Klopp is highly system oriented, and the system is being hamstrung by the central defender absences. Difficult to navigate. Think the team selection last night is how we should move forward though.